anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: The X Factor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:12 pm 

Is anyone else as excited about boot camp as me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:21 am 

I'm smart enough to know better, but I can't help but really enjoy the cheesy fakery of X Factor. I did enjoy my 2 hour dose of boot camp tonight.
I like the fact that they've been using the same bed music from when the programme first started as well. I am the Greatest (or whatever it's called) by R Kelly and Sigur Ros's Hoppipolla got they're usual airing tonight and I'm fully expecting Coldplay's Fix You to make its comeback for the 'driving back in the car to tell the family they didn't get to the live final' scenes next week.
They did actually have a new one this week though and it took me a while to work it out, but I finally twigged that it was, bizarrely, part of the This is England score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:23 am 

The cheesy fakery is absolutely my favourite part. Most of the people I liked got through, I think, although I quite liked the guy who was a wedding singer. I was sad when he got sent home. I like the woman who found the application in her dead dad's possessions. And I like a couple of the bands, and the young girl. And two of the guys in the oldies category, I liked them lads too.

I'm probably going to cry next week.

http://halfmyheartbeats.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/primitive_paint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:24 am 

It was on the telly in the pub tonight - why was that Dermot crying? It looked like painful viewing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:31 am 

The woman he was talking to was banging on about how she wanted to do her kids proud (schoolkids, she's a teacher), and how some of them have never had support from their parents or anything and she wants to be a positive role model for them. It wasn't even that sad, I think old Dermot must have had a hangover or something.

Oh, I think my favourites are the big group of geeky boys. They're so cute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:31 am 

I loved the way 'Louis had an idea' tonight. He hasn't got where he is for nothing. I'm a bit worried that that Brazilian (am I remembering that right?) man is going to get put through just for the Chico factor though.
My other favourite thing about the X Factor is the way that, at the audition stage, you can tell from the very first second of the contestant's introduction, whether they're going to go through or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:32 am 

lynsosaurus wrote:

They haven't show an awful lot of them, but they seem a strange prospect. Those poor boys are going to get styled within an inch of their lives if they get through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:36 am 

Yeah, it's a total joke that the idiotic guy got through. I hate him already.

I think the geeky guys could do well. They seemed like one of the better groups musically, and it probably won't do them any harm to get suited up on the telly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:52 am 

islandhopper wrote:
I'm smart enough to know better, but I can't help but really enjoy the cheesy fakery of X Factor. I did enjoy my 2 hour dose of boot camp tonight.
I like the fact that they've been using the same bed music from when the programme first started as well. I am the Greatest (or whatever it's called) by R Kelly and Sigur Ros's Hoppipolla got they're usual airing tonight and I'm fully expecting Coldplay's Fix You to make its comeback for the 'driving back in the car to tell the family they didn't get to the live final' scenes next week.
They did actually have a new one this week though and it took me a while to work it out, but I finally twigged that it was, bizarrely, part of the This is England score.

Doh! You forgot 'Chasing Cars' by Snow Patrol, the X Factor/reality talent show staple of the last couple of years (or whenever it came out). Someone even sang that for their audition last night, and then I saw Snow Patrol performing it on some live festival footage later in the evening, and remembered when they used to sound a bit like Sebadoh and have Richard Colburn drumming for them. Oh dear. The words of the song don't have anything to do with the sentiments they're trying to express with it, either.

Did anyone else think Louis' 'idea' was clearly planned from the start? I mean, all the borderline contestants appeared to have been shepherded into a room together rather than being allowed to go home or sob quietly in the toilets. And they'd been saying from the start that most of the groups were shit.

I haven't really been able to establish who I like and who I don't yet, such is the production-line process of the auditions and boot camps, but I quite like the hyperactive girl, just because she's got a bit of substance, even if she is hugely annoying (but I don't have to be stuck in a room with her, so I don't care). I can tell you who I don't like though - that smug opera singing bloke, and that duo, who are called something hideous like 'Same Difference'. The whiff of Butlins is almost palpable. And have you ever known a boy/girl duo to be successful, with the exception of The Carpenters? I haven't. Even same sex duos have a tough time of it, it seems.

Did that horrendous woman from the auditions who had to have a chair to writhe around in order to do anything make it? She was shockingly bad, a cross between a lap dancer (actually I think she may have BEEN a lap dancer) and a drag act, but amazingly made it past the first hurdle, to the unanimous decision of the judges. Oof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:03 am 

islandhopper wrote:
lynsosaurus wrote:

They haven't show an awful lot of them, but they seem a strange prospect. Those poor boys are going to get styled within an inch of their lives if they get through.

I don't think I've heard them either, I've only seen glimpses. Maybe Louis sneaked them in? I seem to remember that one bloke looked a bit like him from the Proclaimers, which isn't really a good look for one that young. Weren't there about thirty of them? Presumably they have numerous superfluous members, a la Blazin' Squad (where are they now?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:22 pm 

Woodbine wrote:
Did anyone else think Louis' 'idea' was clearly planned from the start? I mean, all the borderline contestants appeared to have been shepherded into a room together rather than being allowed to go home or sob quietly in the toilets. And they'd been saying from the start that most of the groups were shit.

Definitely. The groups are always shit (I don't remember any being put forward at the audition stage) so it was a bit of an easy way to make up the numbers and create a bit of drama.
I quite like the hyperactive girl as well. I can actually remember her for a start. Can't say that for all of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:54 pm 

Simon Cowell is so full of shit. He didn't want to put that girl through 'cause she annoyed him even though she could sing, but he wanted to put that opera moron through because he could sing, even though he's an utter twat and annoyed Sharon lots.

I don't understand how people don't see that he only ever 'tells it how it is' when it suits him.

Also, Louis Walsh is a paedophile.

Er.. X-Factor is great, btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:34 pm 

Sadly I have been neglecting it, because of the Elvis impersonator contest the BBC had on recently. But what I did watch of it this week was well ropey. Not that the Elvii were any good of course. It's just poo really isn't it? It really serves no purpose other than to propel the Cowell onward. American [s]Bowli[/s]..err Anoraks, does he still do the annual US version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:25 am 

American Idol? Of course he does, he's the best part of the show, in spite of the homophobic bickering he and Ryan Seacrest go through during every live show.

But anyway, my new mission in life as far as X-Factor is concered is to dedicate my heart to that sexy single dad and try to throw hammers at that yelping stockboy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:49 pm 

Which one is the sexy single dad? I'm not quite down with 'em all yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:02 am 

He's the sort of tusseled-hair, gap-toothed one in the over-25s. He's an okay singer which makes my crush marginally less embarassing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:15 pm 

ooh. i am getting drawn in now. but i think this is an episode i kinda watched last night. a bit confusing. yes.

is the geeky boy band the one where some of them looked like possible hanson relatives, pre-makeover?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:53 pm 

Miss 9 wrote:
He's the sort of tusseled-hair, gap-toothed one in the over-25s. He's an okay singer which makes my crush marginally less embarassing.

Ah, I know who you mean now, after tonight's. I liked the fact he went on and on about how much his young son meant to him, but is prepared to spend a massively reduced amount of time with him by fucking off around the world being a pop star. Oh well.

That big group of nerds are fascinating, with their rogue emo member. I hope they get through so that I can gawp at them some more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:14 pm 

I hope they kill off the young, blonde, over-emotional 15 year-old and the unbearable opera man.

Or at least not put them through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:49 am 

Why are there three episodes on this week? I´m totally confused. I saw most of the one from last night, and it seems like all they have left to do now is tell them who goes through. Why could they possibly need two more episodes for that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next