anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:38 pm 

Rosalinde (lapjeskat) has been to the cat museum with a former Bowlie before. Right, Linn? I think she liked it. I don't know myself!

Yes, you'll want a bike, if the weather is nice. If indeed the weather is nice, I'd just spend most of the day outside, walking along the canals (maybe even take a boat trip), have lunch (pancakes!) in the Vondelpark, et cetera.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:40 pm 

bonjour_tristesse wrote:
note i am a girl and want to stay away from red light district!

I don't think the Red Light District is dangerous in any kind of way, other than the gender-neutral offence of pickpocketing, but I'd stay away anyway because it's a really sad area.

I'm not Amsterdam's biggest fan, but try and stay away of the areas near the central station, as they are crammed with tourists and don't sell anything remotely genuine or interesting. I always liked the area near the Westerkerk.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:44 pm 

Yeah, avoid any street name with "dam" in it (expect for the Dam itself I guess). The red light district is not particularly dangerous, no, but at night I wouldn't really walk there alone. Well, it's not a very nice place by night anyway (mostly due to large groups of drunken rowdy tourists ). The Van Gogh Museum is also open on Friday evening, which is a great time to go there, usually much quieter and sometimes they will stage special performances or lectures.

The cat museum is awesome! It's set in a huge furnished mansion and there are real cats walking around to cuddle. I don't remember visiting it with a Bowlie though..think I went alone?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:15 pm 

lapjeskat wrote:
The cat museum is awesome! It's set in a huge furnished mansion and there are real cats walking around to cuddle. I don't remember visiting it with a Bowlie though..think I went alone?

Ah, I thought you took Kevin there. Probably just told him about it then!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:51 pm 

Okay thank you for the advice, i will make sure to visit the kitty museum!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:37 pm 

We have a Cat museum in Amsterdam? Really?
I've lived there for 20 years and I never knew. Hmmmm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:20 pm 

Well, museum....

http://www.poezenboot.nl/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:26 pm 

Wait, no that's not all.There is a proper cat museum in Amsterdam: http://www.kattenkabinet.nl

It's awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:02 pm 

Does anyone on here know if there are any good spots to play a pop show in the netherlands?

or any folks who would be good to co0ntact about organizing such things?

if so, please drop me a line - we're trying to see if it makes any sense for the smittens to play there!

yow!
cc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:27 pm 

You could ask the girls from The Cuties, maybe. They're sweet and play nice indiepop. I suspect they'll know what the nicer/better places are for a band like yours. If you don't know The Cuties, listen here.

I know Martijn helped organize a Tullycraft concert in Amsterdam some years back. And this guy helped organize a 'twee' festival in Gouda in So What last year (with among others Hari and Aino, The Kick Inside, The Cuties).

I'd love for you to play in Amsterdam or Almere, but I don't have any active contacts myself. I'll have a look around though!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 am 

hello netherlands, specifically amsterdam!

i will be visiting next weds/thurs/fri.. is there anything fun and indiepop happening say the weds/thurs nites??

or where should i go/not go?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 pm 

lapjeskat wrote:
Wait, no that's not all.There is a proper cat museum in Amsterdam: http://www.kattenkabinet.nl

It's awesome.

God ! I must go there once in my life.

I'm discovering The Cuties, they're pretty good !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:25 pm 

Hi LInn, Dennis,

long time no see.

Just checking in. Got the B&S mail about their UK tour, bought some tickets, and I figured I'd check out how this place developed in the past years. Alive and kicking I notice.

How are you guys doing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:56 pm 

Hello there Niels! Well, to my shame I must admit I haven't seen Linn in ages... It's about time! I don't think she's on here a lot though.

Here (Almere nowadays, with a family and everything) is everything mighty fine! Nice to see you around again now there's new Belle & Sebastian coming up! Did you already hear anything about a Dutch show?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:10 pm 

I moved away from Amsterdam too. I now work in a hospital in Zwolle. Linda and I got married, and I'll have my PhD defense in a month or two. No family, none in the planning either. Our life is pretty great now, getting older, but I'm happy :-)

My inside sources say no festivals this year in Holland. No Lowlands, probably nothing else either. Europe should be the starting point of the 2011 promo tour for the new album though. But no definitives yet...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:10 am 

hello netherlands-based anoraks! i am being whisked away on a spontaneous trip to amsterdam next week and i was hoping you might be able to offer me some hints and suggestions. we are going to arrive early monday morning and leave wednesday evening, so we have two nights and three full days there. i have already added this cat museum to the list because it sounds like the best thing ever. what else can you recommend? is there anywhere i can look for music listings, etc? i think we will go to the usual museums but it would be good to get recommendations for nice bars and restaurants, or anything a bit unusual that we might not have heard of. i am VERY EXCITED because i've never been to the netherlands before and i've heard that amsterdam is amazing if you avoid the boobs and weed.

http://halfmyheartbeats.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/primitive_paint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:56 pm 

Hello Lynsey! I don't live in Amsterdam anymore (although it's only 20 minutes away), so I'm not completely updated on all the new and hip things. Actually, I don't have any recommendations, except for to have fun and bring warm clothes. It's finally cold here right now, and I think they expect some snow this Sunday, which may still be there on Monday.

Amsterdam record stores are not amazing; nothing really worth taking a detour for. If you're in the neighbourhood, you may want to hop into Distortion Records, they usually have some Slumberland Records and if you're lucky you can find something nice:

http://www.distortion.nl/

If you like Dutch pancakes, you can eat unlimited pancakes while boating through the waters of Amsterdam. I've never done it, but it sounds like fun. If you like pancakes.

http://www.pannenkoekenboot.nl/locaties/amsterdam.aspx

Do you have any specific needs? Organic food? Vegan restaurants?

I couldn't find any concerts worth going to for the days you mentioned. You're not a Gavin DeGraw fan are you?

Sorry, I'm a bit in a hurry here. Ask anything you'll like, and I'll try to answer. But again the warning: I'm an old man (...) not living in A'dam anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:53 pm 

My soon-to-be wife and I are seriously considering moving to the Netherlands in the next year. As RITH has said, it's not the most indiepop-friendly place in the world but it just feels right. People ride bikes *everywhere*. That's enough reason for me to want to move there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:20 am 

I love the Netherlands. My wife and I spent some of our honeymoon there in a tiny place in the north not far from Groningen.

We went back last June. Had great weather while London was submerged in water.

I desperately want to go to this cat museum. We might go to the record fair in Utrecht in November and may stay in Amsterdam again as we did two years ago. Depends on finances because that record fair needs a lot of fiscal commitment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:50 pm 

September 15 @ OCCII: Jeffrey Lewis & The Rain
September 25 @ Melkwerg: The Tuts