anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Primavera Sound
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:36 pm 

Takes place over Thursday 29th - Saturday 31st May 08, Parc del Forum, Barcelona, Spain

Post subject: Re: Primavera Sound
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:37 am 

I'm going to this shindig. I went last year too. It's really cool staying in the centre of Barcelona for the duration of it, and I'm very aroused about this year's line-up so far.

808 State, A Place To Bury Strangers, Alan Braxe, Animal Collective, Apparat Band, Dj Assault, Atlas Sound, Autolux, Awesome Color, Berlinbattery feat. Shir Khan Dj Supermarkt & Malente, Bèstia Ferida, Bill Callahan, Bishop Allen, Bob Mould Band, Bon Iver, Boris, British Sea Power, Buffalo Tom, Caribou, Cat Power, The Clientele, Clipse, The Cribs, De La Soul, Deerhunter, Devastations, Devo, Digital Mystikz, Dinosaur Jr., Dirty Projectors, Dr. Octagon aka Kool Keith + Kutmasta Kurt, Edan & MC Dagha, El Guincho, Ellen Allien, Enon, Eric's Trip, Explosions In The Sky, Fanfarlo, The Felice Brothers, Fuck Buttons, Dj Funk, Gentle Music Men, The Go! Team, Grande-Marlaska, Health, Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs, Holy Fuck, It's Not Not, Kavinsky, Kinski, La Estrella De David, La Orquesta Del Caballo Ganador, Les Savy Fav, Lightspeed Champion, Madee, Man Man, The Mary Onettes, Mary Weiss of The Shangri-Las, The Marzipan Man, Matt Elliott, Menomena, Messer Chups, MGMT, Mi and L'au, Midnight Juggernauts, Mission Of Burma, Mixmaster Mike, Model 500, Moho, Mount Eerie, MV & EE with The Golden Road, Nick Lowe, No Age, The Notwist, Okkervil River, Om, Para One, Pissed Jeans, Polvo, Port O'Brien, Portishead, Prinzhorn Dance School, Public Enemy performing It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, Robert Hood, Rufus Wainwright, The Rumble Strips, Scout Niblett, Sebadoh, Shellac, Shipping News, Silver Jews, Simian Mobile Disco, Six Organs Of Admittance, SJ Esau, The Sonics, Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, The Strange Death Of Liberal England, Subterranean Kids, Supermayer, Surkin, The Swell Season, Tachenko, Tarántula, Thomas Brinkmann, Throbbing Gristle, Tiefschwarz, Times New Viking, Tindersticks, Träd Gräs och Stenar, Vampire Weekend, Vórtice, Voxtrot, The Wave Pictures, White Williams, Why?, Young Marble Giants

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:23 am 

damn my will-be-then-impending dissertation.
that looks great.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:12 am 

I'm hopefully going to this! I've never been to Spain (I've only been to Europe once) and am pretty excited. I'm in love with Voxtrot and think that the entire line up is pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:30 pm 

PandaBear wrote:
Alan Braxe, Animal Collective, Apparat Band, Dj Assault, Atlas Sound, Bill Callahan, Bon Iver, The Clientele, Clipse, The Cribs, De La Soul, Devo, Dinosaur Jr., Dirty Projectors, Dr. Octagon aka Kool Keith + Kutmasta Kurt, Edan & MC Dagha, El Guincho, Ellen Allien, Enon, Eric's Trip, Explosions In The Sky, Fanfarlo, Fuck Buttons, Health, Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs, Holy Fuck, Les Savy Fav, MV & EE with The Golden Road, No Age, The Notwist, Om, Polvo, Portishead, Prinzhorn Dance School, Public Enemy performing It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, Scout Niblett, Sebadoh, Shellac, Silver Jews, Six Organs Of Admittance, SJ Esau, The Sonics, Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, Supermayer, Times New Viking, Tindersticks, Voxtrot, The Wave Pictures, White Williams, Why?, Young Marble Giants

Holy fuck am I happy to have tickets for this *dancing banana*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:30 pm 

I'm actually REALLY looking forward to seeing El Guincho...i hope it's not on super early or at the auditorium... (i haven't bothered seeing the official website about where bands are going to play ... is it up yet?) but yeah, so glad i got me some ticketsees... :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:20 am 

xime_na wrote:
I'm actually REALLY looking forward to seeing El Guincho...i hope it's not on super early or at the auditorium... (i haven't bothered seeing the official website about where bands are going to play ... is it up yet?) but yeah, so glad i got me some ticketsees... :P

Me too, I love that album. Surely it won't be in the auditorium - something like that deserves to be watched in the sunshine!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:04 pm 

Two weeks! Hee. I had a brief look at the timetable but I just got too excited so I couldn't work out which clashes were most troubling. I'm quite certain that it is going to be utterly fabulous though. Yeah!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:13 pm 

Without wanting to sound smug, I personally can't see a huge amount of clashes between the main bands I want to see. The funny thing is though that there are loads of people who I was imagining watching in the sunshine, like El Guincho and De La Soul, who will actually be playing in the early hours of the morning. It'll still be great though.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:54 pm 

I don't think I've ever been so excited. What a ridiculously good line up.

I can't believe I'm going to see PE do ITANOMTHUB.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:41 pm 

Only a week away! Absolutely thrilled to be going to this! Although there's a fair few bands playing who I associate very much with London (or, more specifically, seeing them in music shops in Denmark St) which will seem a bit weird and incongruous. But I'm sure that's nothing a beer or two won't put to rights!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:03 pm 

I'm excited about everything around the festival, let alone the lineup (which I'm fantastically excited about, natch) - getting the metro to the venue; playing with the wristband once it gets put on; buying booze tokens; swinging by the merchandise stand; the delicious burritos; everything!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:40 pm 

Dont forget the crepes (nom nom nom) and the xurros (nom nom nom) and the tiny intense espressos (nom!) and the sangria in the park before even heading to the festival site (nom nom nom) and seeing the sunrise after dancing your socks off. I can't wait. I've got a massive dose of excitement going on. Hee.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:51 pm 

obo-bobolina wrote:
and the xurros (nom nom nom)

argh! i've been having some serious primavera envy the past few days (i'm cursing myself for deciding not to spend all my money on festivals this year), but you mentioning the xurros has just made it worse. ooh, the chocolate-covered ones were so good...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:34 am 

I managed to see an utterly ludicrous amount of amazing stuff:

Thursday:

Mt Eerie (with Julie Doiron guesting)
The Notwist
Public Enemy
Portishead
De La Soul (with Flavor Flav on guest falling asleep against the decks duties)

Friday:

Trad Gras och Stenar
MV & EE Medicine Show (with J Mascis on second drums!)
Six Organs of Admittance (with Alex Neilson on drums and Elisa Ambrogio on second guitar)
Sebadoh (about 7 songs)
Why? (about 3 songs)
Devo
Fuck Buttons
The Go! Team (about 4 songs)
El Guincho
Holy Fuck (including the superb stage invasion)

Saturday:

David Thomas Broughton (off site, in the Jean Miro Park)
Atlas Sound
Silver Jews (about 4 songs)
Young Marble Giants (about 4 songs)
Dirty Projectors (about half an hour)
Deerhunter (2 songs, shite)
Clipse (awful sound, lasted 2 songs)
Shellac (6 or 7 songs)
Tindersticks (about 6 songs)
Animal Collective

Public Enemy

Public Enemy were amazing, although they did the first half of ITANOMTHUB, they did finish with a bit of Terrordome and a stunning Fight The Power. Devo were probably THE performance of the weekend; Mothersbaugh was a dervish on stage. It was a triumph for the portly has-beens. Except De La, who were a bit generic party hip-hop. But ok.

Devo

Atlas Sound played solo, and threw in a bit of banter and totally won the crowd and played a beautiful set. Dirty Projectors were amazing, wish I'd caught more of them. Silver Jews I don't really care for too much on record but they were superb in their early evening slot. Tindersticks were on at 1am; they'd have fared better on a smaller stage and an earlier slot. Fuck Buttons were fantastic, as was Ben Fuck Buttons' mother who I apparently was next to during their set. She was very proud, and very red.

Animal Collective

Animal Collective were fantastic on a very big stage, Fireworks kind of dragged a bit in comparison to some of the newer stuff they played though. Set of the weekend was probably Six Organs of Admittance. Elisa's amp fucked up immediately and Chasny and Alex Neilson played off each other ferociously before the tech problems got sorted and her guitar took your head off.

Six Organs of Admittance

Six Organs of Admittance

I'd worried about the queues, the beer tokens, the sound bleeding between stages; none of these were problematic. The queues for the indoor Auditori were occasionally long but soon disappeared. The site is so amazing, the setting so perfect. Brilliant stuff. And I managed to bump into shitloads of lovelies. Awww.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:48 pm 

Quote:
Animal Collective were fantastic on a very big stage, Fireworks kind of dragged a bit in comparison to some of the newer stuff they played though.

what!, that's insane. unless for someone reason it went horrifically wrong in spain. but fireworks/essplode's like, one of the best things that happens. it isn't as dancy as the rest of it, but it's so vibrant and exciting and galloping. fireworks is maybe my favourite animal collective song. ah, man, i don't know.

primavera looks pretty good. how were the notwist? i haven't really heard their new lp, but it sounds a little bit sleepy & syrupy to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:02 pm 

schlump wrote:
Quote:
Animal Collective were fantastic on a very big stage, Fireworks kind of dragged a bit in comparison to some of the newer stuff they played though.

what!, that's insane. unless for someone reason it went horrifically wrong in spain. but fireworks/essplode's like, one of the best things that happens. it isn't as dancy as the rest of it, but it's so vibrant and exciting and galloping. fireworks is maybe my favourite animal collective song. ah, man, i don't know.

primavera looks pretty good. how were the notwist? i haven't really heard their new lp, but it sounds a little bit sleepy & syrupy to me.

The Notwist were enjoyable, pleasant early evening slot on a big stage, was very nice. I've not heard the newie. The newer AC stuff like 'Brother Sport' stands out loads for me from their set. Plus they dropped 'Comfy In Nautica' earlyish in the set too which was fucking amazing. 'Loch Raven' and 'Grass' featured too. Brilliant stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:35 pm 

Soooooo. MBV, Spiritualized and The Vaselines just for starters for Primavera 2009 is seems.

Anyone going, even if it's all going to cost much more already because of shit currency?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:43 pm 

bobolina and i have flights booked already.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:32 pm 

Bowerbirds, The Bug, Crystal Antlers, Crystal Stilts, The Mae Shi,
Plants & Animals, Ponytail, The Tallest Man On Earth, Vivian Girls &
Wavves all added.

Cry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next