anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:41 pm 

Silver Girl wrote:
Anyone else come back with a chest infection? I suspect the combination of late nights and a tepid hot tub have done it for me...
Edwyn Collins though. Totally life-affirming. (and Pat Nevin! One of the best dj sets I've ever danced to...)

i'm not feeling too great today either but i don't know if it's anything more than just general post-weekend malaise and extended hangover. i agree with all of the rest of it though! edwyn collins was fucking brilliant, and that sunday night disco was a thoroughly joyous affair. i don't even remember most of the songs played, just that it was bloody amazing. also, every time my brain switched off a bit on the coach home it just started playing the intro to 'rip it up'. ah. the only bad thing about these events is that normal life seems so utterly shit in comparison!

http://halfmyheartbeats.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/primitive_paint

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:03 pm 

Seeing Daniel Kitson, Teenage Fanclub, The Zombies, The Go! Team, Edwyn Collins, Belle & Sebastian, The Vaselines, Camera Obscura & Zoey Van Goey among others in one weekend is pretty good going I think. Not that it was all about the music though. Nice folk (with some very minor exceptions), nice atmosphere and I didn't get to experience nearly enough of the Butlins fun. Also enjoyed being asked by Pat Nevin why everyone loves You Can Call Me Al so much!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:06 pm 

Silver Girl wrote:
Anyone else come back with a chest infection? I suspect the combination of late nights and a tepid hot tub have done it for me...
Edwyn Collins though. Totally life-affirming. (and Pat Nevin! One of the best dj sets I've ever danced to...)

Me and the missis have both come down with something horrible. I reckon we caught it in the swimming pool.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:05 pm 

Belle & Sebastian have cancelled their Leicester show tonight as Stuart is ill- I'm definitely blaming Bowlie!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:13 pm 

Anyone happen to see Trembling Bells at this?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:42 pm 

So nice when something you think can't possibly live up to expectations actually exceeds them! Very different from the original, but, subjectively, maybe even better. I often feel with festivals that the highlights are the unplanned things, rather than the bands, but the bands were pretty special too!

Apparently, Animal Collective are doing the next one. Looks like it was announced some time ago. I came back desperate to go to another one, but I'm not sure I'm inspired by their line-up at all - its a long way and a lot of money to watch Broadcast:

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/atpan ... lineup.php

Anyway, enough whingeing about the future one. That was GREAT!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:44 pm 

A mate of mine says he saw Tommy Carcetti from The Wire strolling around. I'd have gone mental if I'd have seen him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:21 am 

Wheatabeat wrote:
A mate of mine says he saw Tommy Carcetti from The Wire strolling around. I'd have gone mental if I'd have seen him.

He was! I saw him right by the arcade machines on the way to Pizza Hut. I like that someone complained about the spoilers on twitter from everyone referring to him as mayor Carcetti.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:58 am 

Location: Where the stags lock antlers and give joyous bellow.
gloom button wrote:
Anyone happen to see Trembling Bells at this?

Yep, they were brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:57 pm 

There was loads of good stuff that happened. Edwyn Collins was an absolute hero, Teenage Fanclub and B&S put in good sets. Franz were worth watching, I do have a bit of a soft spot for them, and their set didn't feel out of place. Saint Etienne seemed to have the same sound problems as Broadcast last year. There was good dancing to good music at HDIF. Being right in the middle of everything for Crystal Castles was another massive highlight. Daniel Kitson was a great way to start it all.

There were loads of people I knew there who I was expecting to bump into and catch up with but only bumped into once or twice briefly. Maybe Indietracks has spoilt me in the bumping-in-to-people-you-know-at-a-festival stakes.

And there is definitely a Bowlie lurgie! I'm ill too. I didn't go swimming but I did have Pizza Hut and beer. Maybe if we all list what we did we can identify the cause, Usborne book style.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 pm 

soft revolution wrote:
There were loads of people I knew there who I was expecting to bump into and catch up with but only bumped into once or twice briefly. Maybe Indietracks has spoilt me in the bumping-in-to-people-you-know-at-a-festival stakes.

Same here! It was weird bumping into people on the Sunday night who had been there all weekend but I hadn't ran into them at all. Definitely that bit bigger than Indietracks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:24 pm 

islandhopper wrote:
I like that someone complained about the spoilers on twitter from everyone referring to him as mayor Carcetti.
*ejects dvd*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:38 pm 

We'll be playing our favourite Bowlie bands this Friday at Scared To Dance! Hope to see some of you there viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3771&p=176536&hilit=scared+to+dance#p176536

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:58 pm 

soft revolution wrote:
And there is definitely a Bowlie lurgie! I'm ill too. I didn't go swimming but I did have Pizza Hut and beer. Maybe if we all list what we did we can identify the cause, Usborne book style.

Well I had the pizza and the beer, and I feel fine!

Maybe it was something on Sunday (I missed Sunday) - maybe you can catch something from those filthy Vaselines asides...

Rocker

Hear my show at Dandelion Radio - The online radio station inspired by John Peel! Coming round roughly once a day at: http://www.dandelionradio.com/schedule

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:31 pm 

I went swimming Sat and Sun, and had pizza on the Sunday, and beer throughout, and I'm fine too.

Perhaps it's just the payback for three days with hardly any sleep, existing on crap food and beer? I had a big sleep last night and I only feel like I'm going to get back to normal after tonight's sleep.

Great, great weekend, though. Much better than I thought it would be - roll on Bowlie 3!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:42 pm 

Maybe it was the pasties? I didn't have one, as they only had cheese and onion for us veggies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:47 pm 

My review, with pics and vids

http://seekmagic.wordpress.com/2010/12/ ... ld-bowlie/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:40 pm 

Anyone else still got the Indieflu? 9 days on and I still cough when I go outdoors. Damn you Murdoch and your germ-ridden ways!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:50 pm 

I had a weaker strain of it the week before Bowlie. Perhaps I started it off and it mutated.

Soz!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:46 pm 

It still feels like i've got the ebola virus. Damn you emml!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next