anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:18 pm 

We have a very diverse set of line-up additions for the GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR curated Weekend 1, Nightmare Before Christmas festival this December. Heading up the additions is the legendary "WEIRD AL" YANKOVIC, the biggest selling comedy recording artist of all time; selling more than 12 million albums, winning around 30 Gold and Platinum album awards and three Grammy Awards. This will be the first time he has ever performed in Europe, and his show will feature a full band, huge video screens, numerous costume changes and much more! Here's the full list of new additions:

"WEIRD AL" YANKOVIC
NOMEANSNO
JOSEPHINE FOSTER (solo)
WHITE MAGIC
EMERALDS
BOBAN I MARKO MARKOVIC ORCHESTRA
DANIEL HIGGS (Lungfish)

Which means that the current line-up looks like this:

GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR / "WEIRD AL" YANKOVIC / NEUROSIS / BARDO POND / THE EX / DEERHOOF / THE DEAD C / BLACK DICE / FRANCISCO LOPEZ / TIM HECKER / MIKE WATT / SCOUT NIBLETT / WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM / MARISSA NADLER / GROWING / RANGDA / NOMEANSNO / JOSEPHINE FOSTER (SOLO) / WHITE MAGIC / EMERALDS / DANIEL HIGGS (LUNGFISH) / BOBAN I MARKO MARKOVIC ORCHESTRA

With far more to be confirmed! The festival weekend will run from the 3rd-5th December at Butlins Holiday Centre, Minehead featuring around 40 bands picked by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, who will also perform.

Tickets are priced at £165.00pp for room only and £175.00pp for self catering and are on sale now from www.atpfestival.com

Two, Three and Seven Berth Apartments are now completely Sold Out and other ticket options are selling fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:22 pm 

Weird Al!

This is a wind-up isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:25 pm 

SOLD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:11 pm 

I fucking love Nomeansno. I doubt I'll ever have the spare funds to get to any ATP ever let alone this one, so I am hoping for an extensive Nomeansno tour on the back of this. As that's unlikely, I'd like to offer them the chance to play to an audience of one (me) in my living room for no money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:06 pm 

There's actually several people I want to see out of this line-up (or would want to see if I ever went to music festivals in other countries any more). Nomeansno are definitely one of them. Weird Al might even be one of them. It's just such a headfuck. Weird Al Yankovic! At ATP!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:03 am 

Weird Al and Nomeansno makes so little sense that it makes all the sense in the world.

The other bands can fuck off (not really) - this festival has been sold to me exclusively by Weird Al and Nomeansno. Can we put the two of them on tour together forever?

(Actually i'm pretty excited that Bardo Pond, The Ex and Mike Watt are playing, and i'm intrigued by various others that i've heard of but not heard, or else just like their names)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:24 am 
I don't understand the raised eyebrows at the appearance of weird al... other than this is his first ever european show... I think it kind of puts GY!BE in a good light, shows a sense of humour, that they like a chuckle

he's pretty ubiquitous over in the US, isn't he? all kinds of bands have worked with him from the beastie boys to hanson to JSBE to ben folds (ie, that lot)

I just think it's over here we kind of think of him as 'eighties' and 'novelty'

I mean he is novelty but he's taken it into the stratosphere and beyond

and nomeansno are canadian and so are GY!BE

it kind of makes sense to me

I hope nomeansno tour around then, I'd like to see them too, but ATP is too expensoid for me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:31 am 
fogofideas wrote:
all kinds of bands have worked with him from the beastie boys to hanson to JSBE to ben folds (ie, that lot)

it's struck me what a very nineties list of bands that is

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:39 am 

Have to say I missed all of that. Weird Al hasn't really been on my radar since "a garage band from Seattle, well it sure beats raising cattle". Weird Al and JSBE you say, this keeps on getting better.

Nomeansno are teh ace. So's Marissa Nadler.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:53 am 

i reckon seeing weird al would be amazing! i bet hes loads of fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:33 am 

I do genuinely like Weird Al! And i think he'll be loads of fun too!

If my eyebrow is raised at all, it's only through surprise that he's coming over here at all. Surprise and joy.

i'd like to nominate White And Nerdy as my favourite track of his in recent years.

And UHF is fucking brilliant.