anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:06 pm 

I have begun the very long task of editing the video footage from Glasgow Popfest. It will take a couple of months -eeek! Here is the 1st song: The Hardy Boys' British Melancholy (title track of the new album to be released, spring 2011) receiving it's 1st ever live performance. 10/10 ♥

all the videos will be posted at our youtube channel: bubblegumglasgow

www.myspace.com/bubblegumrecordsscotland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:28 pm 

Bubblegum Records wrote:
I believe that everyone has now made it home? This weekend, if you can, sit at a warm fire with some mulled wine and a mince pie. For those of you going to Bowlie 2, take your duvet for the journey.

Yes! Thanks for this great weekend, full of musical discoveries.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:17 pm 

Thanks again to Gary and all the folks who put on such an amazing weekend. Many highlights for me : The Occasional Flickers, being able to see the lovely Understudies twice, the bloody fantastic Starlets gig, Betty & the Werewolves, The Felt Tips, Nick Garrie (very nice and interesting guy), Maple Leaves, The Hardy Boys, Nanobots, The Orchids... and the crazy dance & runs at closing time on the 2nd night. Can't remember who was DJing at this time but you made our night!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:19 pm 

joanny wrote:
and the crazy dance & runs at closing time on the 2nd night. Can't remember who was DJing at this time but you made our night!

Me! Glad you enjoyed it, and nice to meet you (however briefly).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:21 pm 

joanny wrote:
Thanks again to Gary and all the folks who put on such an amazing weekend. Many highlights for me : The Occasional Flickers, being able to see the lovely Understudies twice, the bloody fantastic Starlets gig, Betty & the Werewolves, The Felt Tips, Nick Garrie (very nice and interesting guy), Maple Leaves, The Hardy Boys, Nanobots, The Orchids... and the crazy dance & runs at closing time on the 2nd night. Can't remember who was DJing at this time but you made our night!

Joanny, it was Colin from Half My Heart Beats DJing, as the remaining few ran around the dance floor. I had to take a double-take to make sure I was seeing you all running!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:52 pm 

I realise I'm a terrible person for only going one day but it was a great one. Surprising highlights for me were Nick Garrie and The Starlets and the band who I knew would be as good as they were was Betty & The Werewolves.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:29 pm 

All 7 songs from The Hardy Boys set at Glasgow Popfest have been uploaded to our youtube tv channel.
http://www.youtube.com/bubblegumglasgow

I'll add this link to The Hardy Boys thread too!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:40 am 

More Glasgow Popfest photos added.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=313062&id=125517300394

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:51 am 

Thanks everyone for that Popfest. Going back to Paris was a difficult task but it was so worth coming to Glasgow ! I now feel a bit blue when I think that a week ago, we were so excited about the fact it was finally the day ! But well, I have plenty of very good memories to think about and CDs to listen to !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:16 pm 

Ferdinand wrote:
Thanks everyone for that Popfest. Going back to Paris was a difficult task but it was so worth coming to Glasgow ! I now feel a bit blue when I think that a week ago, we were so excited about the fact it was finally the day !

Oh yes, I was mired in nostalgia all this weekend, thinking of what I was doing one week ago in Glasgow.

I've been meaning to give my thanks and write up some memories since I settled back in London after a tumultuous journey home. My flight last Monday night was cancelled but that was fine. I finally got on a flight to London Tuesday evening. My pictures of the Popfest are posted here.

The biggest of thanks go to Gary, Robert and the rest of Team Bubblegum, of which there seem to be quite a few members from what I saw. There were always different but friendly faces on the doors, people fixing food and drinks, people taking professional videos and just really lovely helpers floating around and about. Your dedication and enthusiasm is admirable. I was once again impressed with all of the effort and detail you put into putting on a proper weekend party. All of the party favours, the candy and the treats, the pretty Bubblegum music merch, the sparkling touches you put to the decorations so that people were greeted with a festive atmosphere as soon as they walked in was great. I can't imagine the stress of having Saturday night's international headliners cancel because of the weather (The Electric Pop Group and Zipper) but somehow, each night, you managed to rejig the schedule so that the line-ups were just as full and fantastic as they could have been. I really salute you, Gary and Team Bubblegum, for pulling off a wonderful weekend. I really hope there is another one as you have impeccable taste in the bands you chose!

Here are my memories of the days.

Friday
We take a taxi to the SWG3 warehouse and skate around on the ice rink that was the walkway to the door. Brrr! I have a lovely and lengthy chat with Gary on the door while he fixes up his lollipop trees. I then listen to my dear Felt Tips soundcheck and then watch them practice, ever so proud. We come back after dinner to see the first band on, The Occasional Flickers. I have their Plastilina album and like it. And live, their sound hits the spot for me even more. Upbeat, fun, jangly pop. They don't seem to venture beyond their current Scottish borders. We must remedy this. I meet the violinist from Johnny Reb who is called Monty. He is already quite pissed before he takes the stage but somehow manages to keep it together once performing. The mulled wine couldn't be more perfect in that icy warehouse and he keeps encouraging everyone to 'get involved!' Ok, we do. Sebastian as Cineplexx is so charming. I especially like when he puts his guitar down, puts some sunglasses on and just sings to a backing track, snapping his fingers and posing. Then the adorable Ally Kerr joins him on tambourine and they serenade us sweetly. Robert DJs in between bands and plays so many of my favourite bands and songs - The Go-Betweens, The Lucksmiths, 'Rattlesnakes'. I take a seat for the next band but then London's Understudies get on stage and sound fantastic. I'm so happy for them. Monty is stalking the room with a bottle of wine and trying to take pictures with everyone. His Scottish accent is nearly incomprehensible by this point. I go outside to the adjacent warehouse to use the loo and my bum nearly freezes to the toilet seat. The mulled wine is gone - oh no! It's nearly 1:30am and we've got a 2am curfew. The Felt Tips must take the stage! And when they do I'm enthralled by this perfect band that has come into my life. They are everything I could ever want in a band - top musicianship, charm, wit, fiery storytelling abilities, chiming guitar that dances around my heart, a sung Scottish accent that enraptures you, songs with atypical perspectives on sex, society and culture. Ahh. A big group of us skate on the ice for blocks from the warehouse to the main road where we part ways until the next day.

Saturday
I'm in no rush to leave the house and you can't see my cute dresses beneath the winter jackets we must all keep on in the cold warehouse! A Mono Linner (lunch/dinner!) warms us up before we head back to SWG3. Saturday night's schedule has been thoroughly redone due to the cancellations of our dear Swedish and Spanish visiting bands. I see Betty and the Werewolves get out of a taxi with their guitars and hope they do not fall. They stay upright! Inside, the mulled wine is already gone - tragic! We have learned that local band The Starlets will be one of the main bands tonight, filling in last minute. I've known about the greatness of Biff, the lead singer, and I had the pleasure of meeting him Friday night. I very much looked forward to seeing what his band would be like. The first band on are Pale Man Made, who I remember playing last year at this same time in Glasgow. Pleasant enough but what I like most is the bass player's hair. I'm DJing in between bands until midnight and I have to figure out how to still my icy hands. Finally - finally! - I meet one of my favourite Glasgow residents - Laz of Bubblegum Lemonade! He finds me and he has a friend with him called Chaz. Too perfect. We talk on and off throughout the night and he is as enthusiastic as I could have hoped for. We talk about Math and Physics Club and I play The Hardy Boys and he tells me about taping this song off the radio back in '86 or '87. Brogues is also here and I'm surrounded by the loveliest people. Laz meets some of The Felt Tips and my heart could burst. The Understudies are back to play a second time and they are even better tonight. I am genuinely proud of them, this London band, playing for another crowd in Glasgow tonight. They sound fantastic and Brian's dancing is the cutest. He has stolen a flower which I thought he might stick in his back pocket but instead he gives it to a girl from the stage! Then come Glasgow's not-so-quiet secret, The Starlets. How have I not heard this band before? They've toured bloody Japan! Biff is a mesmerising frontperson and so adorably Glaswegian. I'm fairly squealing to myself at all his stories in between songs and his dancing and jumping about. I can't exactly describe their sound, it's quite a mishmash but it's all very FULL in sound and these are proper songs. You've got violin and Nigel of Camera Obscura on trumpet there. This band have got rhythm and charm and all of us non-Glaswegians are gobsmacked, wondering just what rock we have been hiding under. The Parisian contingent - I love 'em! - are noticeably swooning too. Only Betty and the Werewolves could follow this with their fiery, candy rush of songs and personality. They are the perfect band to close out Saturday night with. We stay for a while, chatting. I remember Colin dancing by himself to what sounded like his own song selections. I thought, why shouldn't he? It was an adorable sight. We somehow stay on two feet on the ice rink while carrying a heavy Fender amp. Glasgow is good to us again tonight.

Sunday
The fest moves to Stereo - hurrah! I love Stereo. A perfectly shaped basement venue with fruit beer and a fantastic vegan restaurant upstairs. Why don't we have any place like this in London!? The lighting is also gorgeous. We get to Stereo in time for The Cavalcade and I see members of the best Glasgow pop bands milling about - finally! There is Caesar from The Wake and Erik from Wake the President and others from bands playing later, The Orchids and The Hardy Boys. I am too late for mulled wine again but the mince pies are good and the strawberry beer is delicious. At last I can take off my winter coat! Stereo is nice and cosy. The Cavalcade seem a bit nervous but sound fantastic. Stephen's guitar playing is incredible. I hear delightful female Scottish accents and Peter Parker come on stage, sounding like a punkier Go-Go's. They were mega fun and probably the most lively group of the day. Get them and Betty and the Werewolves onstage and the place would explode! Brogues is playing excellent in-between band songs, including Very Truly Yours. I have to thank him. Michael's taken some incredible pictures of the weekend and I have a look at his massive camera. I have to sit down for a bit because the rest of the bands I'm going to be down the front for. The Just Joans come on and make me giggle like a coy, smitten teenager. Thank goodness that those videos of them won't have the chat cut out from between songs - David is a class act comedian! I can't get out of my mind the discussion on Doog's knob(s) and trying to get them to work. The Christmas songs were inspired and sweet next to their collection of (my) favourite songs. Then it's The Orchids and their set was just like that of the one they played at Bush Hall last month. It's a good set and I'm so happy and hopped up on fruit beer by this point but their set comes to an abrupt end either because they had gone over their 1/2 hour limit (I don't think so) or because they misunderstood what the sound technician said about their time. I knew 'Caveman' was coming! After this, The Hardy Boys quickly set up. The night is flying by and I don't want it to end. This day is my favourite and most consistent line-up. Plus, I really love Stereo. The first song The Hardy Boys play is 'British Melancholy,' a new one which will be on their new album. Four part-harmonies sung a cappella. I'm gobsmacked. They sound SO gorgeous. They continue to sound perfect and polished and confident. Johnny's and Karlyn's voices are pure magic. I love the way he croons. The harmonies make me swoon. Johnny's acoustic guitar strumming is probably the most crystalline sound I've ever heard out of an acoustic guitar. They only play two old songs ('Seascape' and 'Wonderful Lie') but I forgive them because the quality of their new songs is stunning. They also play too short of a set because the whole thing wraps up and it's not even 11pm. Thankfully, Stereo stays open late and many of us stick around to talk and drink and eat. It's a wonderful end to a beautiful weekend.

I only recorded one video. Here is 'A Life More Ordinary', a brilliant manifesto by The Felt Tips. I will live this weekend over again in my mind. Thank you again, fabulous Bubblegummers!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:41 pm 

aaw, it was quite good fun wasn't it. Lovely write up Jen x.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:17 am 

Glasgow Popfest – The Diary of a Bubblegum Minion

In January 2010, I had an idea “why not have an indie pop all-dayer in Glasgow?” By March it was looking like it would happen; come June it had morphed into a 3 day festival and would be called Glasgow Popfest, and in July bands began to confirm their involvement. I won’t bore you with the nefarious details that forced us, late in the day, to change venues and created an overwhelming sense of panic in the world of Bubblegum. Suffice to say, panic was short lived as we managed to secure other venues, albeit expensive. There’s No Business Like Showbusiness – I’m with Ethel Merman on that one!

So, what about Glasgow Popfest, those 3 heady days of live music, disco dancing (running), mulled wine, vegan buffet, snow, lollipops, chilled smiles and late night drinking?

8.00am Friday 3rd Dec. Check! Check! Check! Glued to my pc to double check all the details, post online updates and complete all things admin. Then Dash! Dash! Dash! To the venue for the soundchecks. Brrrr! Baby, it’s cold inside? I imagine you will all know of the chaos caused by snow? Sadly, we didn’t escape its impact, with one band having to cancel, whilst another was desparately attempting to find an alternative route to Glasgow, following their flight cancellation. Still, we wore big broad smiles – sincere but chilly. We were determined it would be a good night and it was.

I won’t disect each bands performance. What I will do is state just how wonderful each set was and those in attendance seemed to share my ethusiasm. I did giggle when Sebastian (Cineplexx), put on his sunglasses during his set. Where the stage lights in his eyes, was he yearning for sun or was he snow blind? My, Hurrah They Made It Against All Odds rosette goes to Asleep, who, having been stranded in Heathrow for several hours then changed tact and came by train – arriving just in time to catch breath, perform and then relax before going home to Oslo. Now that’s dedication!

With all the changes to set times (my inner voice constantly whispering – are all the bands here?) we over-ran slightly – by about an hour and a half! The Spitfire club was cut short, but our diligent Popfesters danced till 2.00am regardless. It would be fair to say that we did not have a large turnout out, but those who were there listened to and enjoyed the music. No idle, loud or obnoxious blabbering during the bands. Perfect! I pin my Wow! They Made It rosette to all of those that attended, and in particular those from: Sweden, Norway, France and England.

8.00am Saturday 4th Dec. Shop! Shop! Shop! Food was required for the buffet. Drop! Drop! Drop! The roads and pavements were very icy and every journey took twice as long.

We were informed on Friday night that we had two cancellations (Zipper and The Electric Pop Group both stranded) on Saturday and that threw us into a tizzy for about a nano-second. Within a couple of hours we once again had a full line up for Saturday with The Understudies and The Starlets agreeing to play. This for me was typical of the generosity displayed throughout Glasgow Popfest and we couldn’t have been more delighted.

The show began at 3.00pm to a larger crowd than I had expected – the large venue sapping the body heat from each and every one of us. There had been calls for a group hug to keep out the winter chill, but we all looked on politely to see if anyone would take up the challenge. The hug was never to be. I popped out to buy the booze for bands only to return to the closing tones of Donimo. I was miffed. I really wanted to hear it with so many Choir members. Damn.

Despite having to re-arrange the set times as we awaited the arrival of bands – again we had bands winiging their way to the venue, delayed by trains, buses, taxi’s - we still managed to finish bang on time at midnight. It felt surreal when Betty and The Werewolves finished day two’s live sets – whoosh! It was over, although it didn’t seem so along ago that it had begun. My energy levels were low but I wanted more. It was not to be. The live music was over and Half My Heart Beats began their club set. At this point the Bubblegummers went into overdrive collecting all of or gear and getting it ready to be transported to Stereo for day three. As the temperature dipped it took us quite some time to prise the fan heater from two lady Wolves keen to stay warm. As I darted about at about 1.45am, I think, my eyes began playing tricks on me. Maybe I was too tired? Perhaps, I had too much mulled wine? Nope! My eyes told the truth our friends from Paris, Sweden and the lovely Werewolves had decided, dancing? We don’t need no stinking dancing! So, they began running around the dance floor – in large circles?!? Colin continued with his set, I imagine with a wry smile on his face, and ended the night with Camera Obscura much to the delight of remaining runners – several had been ushered into taxis by this point. All was quiet. I grabbed my bag and walked the ice rink of death - home alone, cheeks ruddy and stupidly happy.

8.00am Sunday 5th Dec. Up and atom, Atom Ant. Hardly. I was blurry for quite some time on Sunday morning. I mooched about petulantly, meddled with my pc and the coffee kicked in just in time to provide me with enough false energy so that I may go back to SWG3 collect the gear, and then transport it to Stereo. Arriving at SWG3 was an unnerving experience. The venue is hired every Sunday to a church group, and as I shuffled my way to the door, over what I will swear was a glass road, they had begun to take up residence. Much like cuckoos but without the glamour. If I felt cold before I felt icy now. The people were polite enough, but I couldn’t help wondering if they had an empty wicker man and were on the look out for a virgin to gospel singing? I wonder what they thought when their eyes fell on the Sex Sucks, Amen sign? Thankfully, Bob came to the rescue and within minutes we were out of their – our love of god unkindled. Home. Arrange a few things. Into taxi. Running late for soundchecks. Go! Go! Go! This is the last day, I told myself, relax and enjoy.
My phone rings. What? The venue is double booked by a theatre group and the backline hasn’t arrived? Fuck! I get to Stereo all harumphed. The theatre guys were just finishing up and the backline guy – who forgot about the hire – couldn’t make it for two and a half hours. No soundchecks. The bands that were in the venue were lovely. No fuss, just “ok we’ll be back later.”
Breathe and relax. Breathe and relax.

The doors opened, the sets began whilst time flashed past at an indecent speed. Swimmingly. If you were to ask me I would have said that it was going swimmingly. Then, bang! I was at the door when Gordon came out and asked “is that The Orchids finished?” “I suppose so”, I said. “They seem to have gone off very quickly”, he responded. Flip?! I went to the band room to find out that due to the curfew of 10.30 The Orchids played a 26 minute set. They and I were not happy. There was nothing to be done they were off stage. I spoke with the sound engineer and reiterated the set time for The Hardy Boys. Bang! They too were off faster than I could ever say “peanut”. We had reached our curfew. The night was over and I was full of apolgies to The Hardy Boys and The Orchids. They both played wonderful sets but they should have been longer. I went into a short lived, school boy huff, aggrieved at my loss. The Bubblegummers went into action to clear the venue and I heard talk of after drinks. I hadn’t organised anything. Wait. Photos. Joanny wanted a photo of those remaining souls and we posed gleefully for two or three pics. Venue cleared. Now what about those drinks? Sleazy’s or the Blue Dog? The Blue Dog won. I sat chatting with Amelie, Thomas, Biff, Brian, Ally and Sebastian, whilst other Popfesters sat at another table. I think they might have been drunk, eh, Katie?

All too soon it was over about 3.00am. We said our goodbyes, in tempertures too cold to contemplate. I began the walk home – not a taxi in sight. I woke up the next morning and had lost my voice. Is that a cheer I hear?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 am 

Apologies for typos and grammar - it's blimmin late/early? I can't be arsed with editing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:26 pm 

Thanks Gary for bringing back those very good memories. It was a pleasure to attend that Popfest and meet so many nice people (that last night drink was so cool) ! I miss Glasgow ! :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:58 pm 

Thanks to the review Gary. All these unexpected events - snow, ice, venues... - must have been incredibly stressful but you handled it perfectly!

I wrote a review too, maybe it's not useful to paste it here as it's quite long - and written in French. You can have a look here :
http://discobloguons.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:35 pm 

Joanny, this is a treat and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It nice to get others' perspective on an event.

Winter smiles,
Gary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:58 pm 

Hi,

Bubblegum has just uploaded all 7 songs from The Starlets set at Glasgow Popfest 2010. You can find them on our youtube tv channel http://www.youtube.com/bubblegumglasgow

I will also create a Starlets thread in Anorak, as few people had heard of them and all loved them.

Smiles,
G

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6