anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:23 pm 

Was sad to read that Animal Collective are curating ATP this May and that it will be ATP's only festival in May.

http://www.neonfiller.com/wordpress/?p=937

Don't get me wrong I like Animal Collective, its just I've seen them and many of their selection before at ATPs of the past. I like the eclectic quality of ATP but also some good old fashioned indie rock and sadly it looks like Animal Collective's is not for me this year. That's just my view.

Indietracks....hmmm, now there's a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:25 pm 

The Frogs, Dent May, Lee Perry, Meat Puppets and Broadcast looks like a pretty good line-up to me!

i was holding out for GBV curating though. GAH.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:29 pm 

Obviously it's down to personal taste, so I take your point, but I have personally found the more interesting and exciting bands at recent ATPs to be the ones who diverged from the 'good old fashioned indie rock' template. So I'm pretty happy with the diversity of the announcements so far (also I love Animal Collective) and shall definitely be attending. You never know though, maybe future announcements will contain more of the things you want to see there.

I hope you don't mind, but I've changed the title of the thread so that people can post words of appreciation as well as criticism in here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:31 pm 

its pretty good but like being stuck in groundhog day for me...as seen Lee Perry many times before, Frogs at Breeders ATP and Animal Collective at the Explosions one.

I too thought GBV was a shoo-in. But then I remembered that Robert Pollard is like BA Baracas and Denis Bergkamp and hates flying.

My dream one is XTC ATP, which for a number of reasons will never happen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:51 pm 

I'm very excited about this ATP. I've been hoping for an AC-curated one for a while, and with Broadcast, Group Doueh and the Sublime Frequencies people added it's already looking good enough to make me want to buy a ticket.
I'm glad they're not going the 'indie rock' route (I would have been surprised if they had), as that and curators basically just inviting their mates along is what put me off a lot of ATPs. I realize Gang Gang Dance, Ariel Pink, Black Dice and probably a few others on the line up are obviously friends with AC, but I fully expect them to come up with a more varied line up that your average ATP. Also, for once there should be plenty of things to dance to!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:55 pm 

Jonty1 wrote:

That would be excellent. There do seem to be fairly limited criteria by which ATP choose their curators, and XTC would fail the first couple of those:

ARE YOU AMERICAN?
/ \
NO YES
/
ARE YOU NICK CAVE/DIRTY THREE
\
YES

I don't want to slag it off though; I get more excited about ATP than any other festival.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:17 pm 

haha, i like your ATP curation criteria!

didn't know Pollard hated flying. that'll be why GBV (or even Boston Spaceships) won't come over here then. bah!

although i do enjoy good ol' fashioned indie rock, i think ATP works best when it mixes it up a bit. e.g. the Pavement one this year, though lots of fun, had a lot less acts that blew me away than previous years (not including ones i'd seen before: TNV, Mission Of Burma, etc).

i think it's a pretty decent line-up though. Frogs and Meat Puppets match up with the indie rock criteria pretty well, and there's plenty of other ace-looking stuff too, some of which i'm totally unfamiliar with, so i reckon it'd be a pretty good do.

my opinion is pretty moot though. i'll be back in college then, and don't think i'll be able to afford it anyway!

(unless by some miracle GBV do get added, which i guess they almost certainly won't, and then i'll have to find the money from selling one of my livers)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:35 pm 

Who are GBV? I keep reading it as Guy Bloody Valentine?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:41 pm 

It's Ghe Belvet Vnderground, actually.

(Guided by Voices)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:54 am 

Jonty1 wrote:

My dream one is XTC ATP,

Aw, how good would that be! Make it happen, someone.

If Animal Collective could get the acts on their Rough Trade mix CD to attend, I'd be down there like a shot. Ralph Lundsten? Justin Heathcliff? Sand? Definitely! Won't happen, though. Pih.

gc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:02 pm 

Jonty1 wrote:
Was sad to read that Animal Collective are curating ATP this May and that it will be ATP's only festival in May.

http://www.neonfiller.com/wordpress/?p=937

Don't get me wrong I like Animal Collective, its just I've seen them and many of their selection before at ATPs of the past. I like the eclectic quality of ATP but also some good old fashioned indie rock and sadly it looks like Animal Collective's is not for me this year. That's just my view.

Indietracks....hmmm, now there's a thought.

I know what you mean, but there's lots of good stuff in there. I'm gutted to miss the GY!BE ATP in December - the best and most varied ATP line up I can recall, with some properly weird stuff in there, and some excellent and surprising inclusions.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:33 pm 

Jonty1 wrote:

A few years ago Andy Partridge seemed to lighten up and it looked like he might even get over his stage-fright issues and get the band back onstage, but then something went tits-up between him and Colin Moulding. You'd think after 35 years of working together they'd have a pretty solid relationship, wouldn't you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:41 pm 

BIG BOI (Outkast), TERRY RILEY, THINKING FELLERS UNION LOCAL 282 head new additions for ATP curated by Animal Collective
13th-15th May 2011 at Butlins Holiday Centre, Minehead

We're very excited to be able to announce some new additions to the only ATP festival weekend of May 2011 which is being curated by Animal Collective.

2 & 3 Berth Room Only apartments were sold out, but we have been able to release a small extra amount today that had been held back for festival production use - http://www.seetickets.com/Event/ALL-TOM ... tre/508815

The second set of announcements chosen by Animal Collective for the line-up features Big Boi of Outkast whose recent solo LP received widespread acclaim, minimalist pioneer Terry Riley and the long awaited return of cult indie rock group Thinking Fellers Union Local 282. Here's the full list of new additions:

BIG BOI (Outkast)
TERRY RILEY
THINKING FELLERS UNION LOCAL 282
ATLAS SOUND
MICACHU AND THE SHAPES
THE ENTRANCE BAND
ORTHRELM (MICK BARR)
TICKLEY FEATHER
DRAWLINGS
TEENGIRL FANTASY
KRIA BREKKAN
ERIC COPELAND (Black Dice)

Which means that the line-up so far looks like this...

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE / BIG BOI (Outkast) / TERRY RILEY / THINKING FELLERS UNION LOCAL 282 / GANG GANG DANCE / LEE SCRATCH PERRY / ATLAS SOUND / ARIEL PINK'S HAUNTED GRAFFITI / BROADCAST / BLACK DICE / MEAT PUPPETS performing Up On The Sun / THE FROGS performing It's Only Right & Natural / IUD / OMAR-S / PRINCE RAMA / SPECTRUM / DENT MAY / GROUP DOUEH / THE BROTHERS UNCONNECTED / SUBLIME FREQUENCIES DJs + Films / DERADOORIAN / ZOMBY / VLADISLAV DELAY / MICACHU AND THE SHAPES / TEENGIRL FANTASY / DRAWLINGS / TICKLEY FEATHER / ORTHRELM (MICK BARR) / ERIC COPELAND (Black Dice) / KRIA BREKKAN / THE ENTRANCE BAND
with more to be announced!

Tickets for ATP Curated by Animal Collective are priced at £170.00pp for room only and £180.00pp for self catering and are on sale now: http://www.seetickets.com/Event/ALL-TOM ... tre/508815

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:05 pm 

This line-up's getting better and better. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:36 pm 

BEACH HOUSE and more added to line-up of ATP curated by Animal Collective
13-15 May, Butlins Holiday Centre, Minehead

ATP Concerts have invited one of the most exciting indie success stories of the last decade to curate the only ATP festival weekend of May 2011. Animal Collective are climbing into the hot seat at Butlins where they will headline and curate, choosing from amongst their collaborators and influences to bring together an eclectic and mind-expanding mixture of live music.

Following hot on the heels of the recent second set of announcements which featured Big Boi of Outkast, Terry Riley and Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 amongst others, today we are happy to add the tremendous BEACH HOUSE, whose third album Teen Dream was one of the most acclaimed of 2010, and was recently picked as Pitchfork's #5 album of the year. Here's the full set of new additions:

BEACH HOUSE
HIGHLIFE
EAR PWR
FLOATING POINTS
MICK BARR (solo)

which means that the line-up so far looks like this...

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE / BIG BOI (Outkast) / BEACH HOUSE / TERRY RILEY / THINKING FELLERS UNION LOCAL 282 / GANG GANG DANCE / LEE SCRATCH PERRY / ATLAS SOUND / ARIEL PINK'S HAUNTED GRAFFITI / BLACK DICE / I.U.D. / MEAT PUPPETS perform Up On The Sun / THE FROGS perform It's Only Right & Natural / OMAR-S / PRINCE RAMA / SPECTRUM / DENT MAY / GROUP DOUEH / THE BROTHERS UNCONNECTED / DERADOORIAN / ZOMBY / VLADISLAV DELAY / MICACHU AND THE SHAPES / TEENGIRL FANTASY / DRAWLINGS / TICKLEY FEATHER / ORTHRELM / ERIC COPELAND (Black Dice) / KRIA BREKKAN / THE ENTRANCE BAND / HIGHLIFE / EAR PWR / FLOATING POINTS / MICK BARR / SUBLIME FREQUENCIES DJs + Films

with more to be announced!

2 & 3 Berth Room Only apartments were sold out, but we have been able to release a small extra amount recently that had been held back for festival production use.

Tickets for ATP Curated by Animal Collective are priced at £170.00pp for room only and £180.00pp for self catering and are on sale now from www.atpfestival.com

ABOUT THE VENUE

Butlins, Minehead looks out across a superb sandy beach. The site is equipped with a supermarket, newsagent, cash points and restaurants. Onsite facilities include a cinema, Splash Water World - a sub-tropical environment that has a huge wave pool, a swimming pool, 3 flumes and also a flume based raft ride - Ten-pin bowling and amusement arcade. Sports include Archery, Football, Basketball, Darts, Petanque, Fencing, Kwik Cricket, Netball, Rounders, Table Tennis, Outdoor Bowls and Crazy Golf.

Under 18s, children and babies are welcome at ATP, please see the FAQ section of our website for more details.

Room Only accommodation is available in 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 berths and offers either double, single or bunk beds with private bathroom and TV, but no kitchen facilities or lounge, more like a hotel room. (£170 + booking fee per ticket)

Self Catering accommodation is available in 4, 6 and 7 berths and offers private bathroom, full kitchen facilities and separate lounge area with TV. (£180 + booking fee per ticket)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm 

Animal Collective confirm Tony Conrad, Grouper and more for All Tomorrow's Parties
13-15 May, Butlins Holiday Centre, Minehead

Today we're happy to be able to confirm another group of additions chosen by Animal Collective for their ATP line-up - one of the most eclectic and experimental ATP has ever seen! The list is headed by avant garde film/music legend Tony Conrad, as well as three of the most acclaimed experimental acts of the last few years: Grouper, Actress (#1 Album Of Year 2010, The Wire) and Oneohtrix Point Never (#2 Album Of Year, The Wire). The excellent Kurt Vile who releases a stunning new album this month will also perform, plus there's more including a rare chance to see two of Mali's best live acts in Khaira Arby and Super Khoumeissa.

Animal Collective will play two headline sets in the Centre Stage venue - anyone that does not get in on the first night (or chooses not to see them on that night) can get a wristband to guarantee entry for the second performance.

Here is the full list of new additions...

TONY CONRAD
GROUPER
ACTRESS
ONEOHTRIX POINT NEVER
KURT VILE AND THE VIOLATORS
KHAIRA ARBY
SUPER KHOUMEISSA
MATT BAETZ

The line-up for the event looks like this...

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE / BIG BOI (Outkast) / BEACH HOUSE / TERRY RILEY / THINKING FELLERS UNION LOCAL 282 / GANG GANG DANCE / LEE SCRATCH PERRY / ATLAS SOUND / ARIEL PINK'S HAUNTED GRAFFITI / BLACK DICE / I.U.D. / MEAT PUPPETS perform Up On The Sun / THE FROGS perform It's Only Right & Natural / OMAR-S / PRINCE RAMA / SPECTRUM / DENT MAY / GROUP DOUEH / THE BROTHERS UNCONNECTED / DERADOORIAN / ZOMBY / VLADISLAV DELAY / MICACHU AND THE SHAPES / TEENGIRL FANTASY / DRAWLINGS / TICKLEY FEATHER / ORTHRELM / ERIC COPELAND (Black Dice) / KRIA BREKKAN / THE ENTRANCE BAND / HIGHLIFE / EAR PWR / FLOATING POINTS / MICK BARR / SUBLIME FREQUENCIES DJs + Films / TONY CONRAD / GROUPER / KURT VILE AND THE VIOLATORS / ONEOHTRIX POINT NEVER / ACTRESS / KHAIRA ARBY / SUPER KHOUMEISSA / MATT BAETZ

Tickets for ATP Curated by Animal Collective are priced at £170.00pp for room only and £180.00pp for self catering and are on sale now from www.atpfestival.com

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:34 pm 

I have a space for one in my chalet if anyone wants to come to this.
I can even give you a lift from London, Sheffield, Cardiff or Bristol (It's a long story!)

Drop me a PM if you fancy it.