True Detective

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

True Detective

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:56 am

Anyone else watching the second series?

Because I'm a goddamn outlaw I'm bucking the consensus of opinion and really enjoying it. Guess it helps that I'm a huge James Ellroy fan (it's certainly borrowing a lot from him) and enjoy tales of corruption in southern California in general.

Liking some of the more surreal aspects (like the end of episode 2/start of episode 3) and the dialogue. Think Vaughan and Kitsch are struggling a little bit acting-wise though (loving McAdams and especially Farrell mind).

So yeah.

linus

Re: True Detective

Post by linus » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:26 pm

I loved the first series, way more than I was expecting to and so my expectations were a little too high for this but episode by episode it's getting better, I get the Ellroy comparisons, but it's Ellroy-lite rather than the real deal. I'm enjoying this series by revelling in the campier ridiculous aspects (the embarrassing theme song, Kitsch's blowjob face in the first episode, the line "I used to wanna be an astronaut. But astronauts don't even go to the moon anymore" which for some reason I found hilarious, the incredibly awful and dour female singer-songwriter in the club two weeks running) and then being impressed by the more on point stuff they get right (McAdams is the show's main high point, Farrell is constantly improving and Kitsch nearly stole the third episode), the tension is beginning to build, I'm intrigued to know what happens next... and whether Conway Twitty will show up again. In some respects it reminds me of Penny Dreadful, being a programme I like and often really like but can never quite love... and am often embarrassed by... but keep watching regardless.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:01 pm

I was bored and irritated for much of tonight's episode and then that final scene! Damn!

Before that, the appalling singer songwriter was back, I think she's there to show how much vince and colin need one another because she clears the joint of everyone else but they're, like, 'bro, I got your back' and the other one is like, 'dude, I know it' and there's so much love between them they can't hear how fucking dreadful that singer is... because she is the worst... the whole programme has the shittiest music, from the opening theme to whoever droopy dismal draws is... but still I watch

In the break before that final extended scene I was having a right moan on and then they pulled that out of the bag

Also I can do one degree of seperation to a cast member of this series of True Detective, so I can dine out on that for a couple of weeks yet

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:57 am

a fog of ideas wrote:Also I can do one degree of seperation to a cast member of this series of True Detective, so I can dine out on that for a couple of weeks yet
You used to be courting that Rachel McAdams?

That final scene was amazing. Not quite up there with the big action scene from last season but probably more horrific.

(I quite like the theme song. I have a thing for Leonard Cohen's more synthy stuff).

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:21 pm

Is it 8 episodes again? I watched the first 5, and I think it's alright but still somewhat disappointing perhaps. I'm intrigued enough to keep watching.

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:08 pm

So, yeah. That was a thing that happened. Quite a bleak ending mind.