Vegan & Vegetarian Food

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
archel
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by archel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 14:23

Update: totally not missing cheese or milk chocolate so far after all! May develop a serious Maya Gold habit at this rate though...

I'm fairly near Brighton which is obviously a great place to be vegan, and have already eaten out there twice. But in my actual hometown there are very few restaurants full stop, let's just say it's lucky that chips are (usually) vegan...
It's like goldy and bronzy, only it's made out of iron.

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Tue Jan 22, 2008 14:50

archel wrote:Update: totally not missing cheese or milk chocolate so far after all! May develop a serious Maya Gold habit at this rate though...
yayy! havw you tried that gei bar thingy that's like galaxy?MENTAL.

talking of dairy i made a sort of macaroni cheez yesterday using no cheese or cheezly. rock.

archel wrote: I'm fairly near Brighton which is obviously a great place to be vegan, and have already eaten out there twice. But in my actual hometown there are very few restaurants full stop, let's just say it's lucky that chips are (usually) vegan...[/quote"]

Bombay aloo in the lanes! wahey!

check yr local chinese takeaway for stuff like monks vegetables, and curries w/ veg/muchrooms/cashews/tofu.. loads of indian stuff is good too.

Did you know that pukka make a vegan pie? for real....

Elvistears
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/elvistears

Post by Elvistears » Tue Jan 22, 2008 15:20

Good for you, Archel. Saw your post about this elsewhere (and am going to reply, really :)) and I'm full of admiration. Good luck with it.

I think this is the sort of thing I would really have to try one day at a time. For example, deciding not to have cheese with my jacket spud today was relatively easy, but on a more ongoing basis I'd struggle. Also, I'm just not finding it easy to get the motivation to cook at the moment so am tending to rely on a lot of processed stuff, which isn't the easiest thing to find vegan.

I THINK realeat do a veggie mince that is actually vegan (am I right, Ray?) - in fact, I think most of their products are vegan. Linda Mc's aren't, by and large, and quorn most definitely isn't - but it is quite convenient.

Let us know how it goes..

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Tue Jan 22, 2008 17:19

Hobart Paving wrote: I THINK realeat do a veggie mince that is actually vegan (am I right, Ray?) - in fact, I think most of their products are vegan. Linda Mc's aren't, by and large, and quorn most definitely isn't - but it is quite convenient.
i understand realeat mince is vegan (i just checkked, it is), but some of their stuff isn't- so BEWARE. Linda Mc does some vegan stuff - possibly listen on their website (i can;t make head nor tail of their website). and quorn is NEVER vegan.

Some supermarkets do own-brand stuff like that: inc sausages, pies, and fake chicken and whatnot. Obviously there's the Redwoods range as well if yr in to yr analogues- their whole range is vegan.

You can also get TVP/dried vegemince from holland & barrett and indie health food stores.

I heartily recomend nosing around yr local healthfood store. Once you get yr head around it, it's 2nd nature. You become aware of what is likely to be vegan, or if not, why not.

and, if all else fails there's [url=http://www.veganstore.co.uk"]vegan store[/url]- mad ass treats delievered to your door!

Elvistears

Post by Elvistears » Tue Jan 22, 2008 17:25

ooh, vegan store looks good! 'cept for those shoes, which are horrid.

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Tue Jan 22, 2008 17:32

i got my last 2 pairs from vegie shoes inbrighton. i always buy em in the sale cos i am CHEAP.

there's loads of fashion places now. but as i am a devoutly unfashionable person i tend not to take much notice. But I will say that Bourgeois Boheme seem like nice people.

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Tue Jan 22, 2008 21:01

what is it that makes quorn not vegan?

is there a word for people who eat meat but not dairy? because the more i think about it the more it seems to me that dairy farming is crueler than killing animals for meat.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Jan 22, 2008 21:06

Sootyzilla wrote:
is there a word for people who eat meat but not dairy?
Ovo-Lacto Vegetarians (eat no animals, but eat eggs and dairy)
Ovo vegetarians (eat eggs but not dairy)
Lacto vegetarians (eat dairy but not eggs)

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Tue Jan 22, 2008 22:05

Sootyzilla wrote:what is it that makes quorn not vegan?
quorn's made from egg.
sootyzilla wrote: is there a word for people who eat meat but not dairy?
there must be a word for it, but i don't know it. I knew an Indian guy who ate meat but not eggs for some religious reason.

I suppose there is a word out there somehwere but i don't know it. Do we need labels for everything? I suppose it'd just be omnivore anyway...

Although I do seem to hear quite often from people (meat-eaters) that milk/egg production appears more cruel to them than meat production... there must be something in the water.

[edit]
i just re-read this and i'm not sure it makes sense.. i'm blaking sleep deprivation

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Wed Jan 23, 2008 00:05

i know dairy farming can be pretty atrocious, but i wouldn't say the majority of farms that rear animals for meat are less cruel than dairy farms. i know some farms do treat their animals nicely but even then, it's not a cruelty-free experience for animals when they're killed. if you're comparing like with like, i'd still say meat farming is worse simply because it involves killing the animal.

anyway...i'm not a vegan (but i am a vegetarian) and i've been trying to get back on track with my diet and trying to be a healthy veggie. i don't get nearly as many calories as i should so i'm doing something kind of lame and drawing up a meal plan to follow. i'm hoping it'll help me eat a more balanced diet and get enough calories so i'm not constantly tired and run down.

i've been having a look around and this blog/site seems pretty good. a lot of the recipes on here are vegan as well:

http://www.veggiemealplans.com/
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:15

stolenwine wrote:i know dairy farming can be pretty atrocious, but i wouldn't say the majority of farms that rear animals for meat are less cruel than dairy farms.
i think maybe people are suprised by how the dairy industry actually works. I know it's something that I hadn't even considered until somone pointed it out to me. then after a bit of research I opted out.

I think when you assume that cows "give" milk and it's all wonderful and natural and cosy it's quite a shock when the reality of it comes through, and the contrast makes it seem worse than meat.

but yea, meat means meat dunnit. though of course dairy props up the meat industry, and any animal used for dairy will eventually go to meat anyway.
stolenwine wrote: anyway...i'm not a vegan (but i am a vegetarian) and i've been trying to get back on track with my diet and trying to be a healthy veggie. i don't get nearly as many calories as i should so i'm doing something kind of lame and drawing up a meal plan to follow. i'm hoping it'll help me eat a more balanced diet and get enough calories so i'm not constantly tired and run down.

i've been having a look around and this blog/site seems pretty good. a lot of the recipes on here are vegan as well:

http://www.veggiemealplans.com/

i reckon for PEP and what not you have to go for your seeds and bananas.

I've been doing my own musli on and off for years, that way you get whatever you want for breakfast (sort of). I usually go for oats, hazel nuts (or almonds) dried apricot and or/raisins, and a mix of seeds (so maybe linseeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds) and fresh banana on top.

that's a pretty good way to start the day.

for extra calories yr nuts and seeds again are a good way to go. i suppose it depends on what you tend to eat. IF you toast a load of seeds and keep themin a jar you can use them to garnish pretty much anything- salads, soups, stir frys, desserts... and again they'll add calories, good fats, omega/trace elements etc.

I know that I'm pretty terrible at getting in to routines and a decent breakfast is pretty much the only thing i ever managed consistently.

good luck with yr meal plane :-)

archel
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by archel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 16:12

I think you have to know yourself quite well, don't you? Like, I know I'm prone to massive bouts of culinary laziness and that I need to tackle this by always having easy vegan snacks in the house (nuts, Tofutti cream cheese for toast, humous etc). And stuff I know I will always eat, rather than things I have to be in the mood for. Cheese used to be the no-brainer food standby so it's replacing that psychologically that's the challenge really. We have just bought some fakey-mozzarella to put on pizza which might be awful but worth a try... ooh and 'nutritional yeast flakes' which are apparently good for adding a savoury cheesy 'something' to dishes.
It's like goldy and bronzy, only it's made out of iron.

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Wed Jan 23, 2008 16:31

archel wrote:I think you have to know yourself quite well, don't you? Like, I know I'm prone to massive bouts of culinary laziness and that I need to tackle this by always having easy vegan snacks in the house (nuts, Tofutti cream cheese for toast, humous etc).
I always keep dried noodles on hand too- they're pretty good for when yr in a rush or to take to work if yr running late or something.

umm, what else is good? oh! peanut butter! you can chuck it in w/ fried rice! or have it on toast w/ banana :-D

dried falafal mix is a great thing to have in the cupboard too. Oh! and gram flour, you can make a crazy savoury pancake/omlette-ish thing in minutes (add water, yeast flakes, black pepper, dried herbs- fry off chopped spinache, onion, mushrooms, then add the mix. DONE!)

archel wrote:We have just bought some fakey-mozzarella to put on pizza which might be awful but worth a try... ooh and 'nutritional yeast flakes' which are apparently good for adding a savoury cheesy 'something' to dishes.
it's horses for corses w/ fake cheezes. I can't stand Sheese, but some people swear by it. you used to be able to get one called Vegekaas which was really good, but i haven't seen that for years.

Yeast flakes are AWESOME. They do the do in quiche, and are pretty good on toast

Elvistears

Post by Elvistears » Wed Jan 23, 2008 16:44

round bits of plastic wrote: Yeast flakes are AWESOME. They do the do in quiche, and are pretty good on toast
I've heard talk of these before. Do they cover the creaminess and the saltiness of cheese? Because whatever replaces it, for me, needs to do so.

Archel, you've planned this pretty well, haven't you?

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Wed Jan 23, 2008 16:50

Hobart Paving wrote:
round bits of plastic wrote: Yeast flakes are AWESOME. They do the do in quiche, and are pretty good on toast
I've heard talk of these before. Do they cover the creaminess and the saltiness of cheese? Because whatever replaces it, for me, needs to do so.
yeast flakers are just flakes - they look like fish food.

if you sprinkle them on toast you get that roof of the mouth thingy like with mature cheddar.

for a cheezy sauce you could fo for the following:
yeast flakes
corn flour
plant milk
salt
pepper
mustard

..that should do ya

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Fri Jan 25, 2008 15:42

interesting vegan chocolate: http://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/chocbars.htm
and the money goes to animal aid- scoffing for the animals ;-)

Colin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx

Post by Colin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 15:50

round bits of plastic wrote:i got my last 2 pairs from vegie shoes inbrighton. i always buy em in the sale cos i am CHEAP.
Me too. I've only bought one pair from there actually, for work, but they've lasted a year and a half and are still going strong. They took bastard ages to break in though, like about six months. They still hurt if I have to walk long distances in them, but I've got weird heels. It might just be me.

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Fri Jan 25, 2008 15:54

Colin wrote:
round bits of plastic wrote:i got my last 2 pairs from vegie shoes inbrighton. i always buy em in the sale cos i am CHEAP.
Me too. I've only bought one pair from there actually, for work, but they've lasted a year and a half and are still going strong. They took bastard ages to break in though, like about six months. They still hurt if I have to walk long distances in them, but I've got weird heels. It might just be me.
I got one pair in 2004 and i've still got em! they're my school shoes so they don't get that much use.. i suppose i could start dressing up when I go to sign on...

yr in Glasgow.. can you post me some food and booze from Mono? I've always wanted to go there..

Elvistears

Post by Elvistears » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:39

Can one make vegan pancakes? I think my recipe has egg in it.

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:47

Hobart Paving wrote:Can one make vegan pancakes? I think my recipe has egg in it.
PEASY!

try recipes such as this one or this one.

but basically flour, water/plant milk (1 or the other but i often use a mix) and then depending whether yr going sweet or savoury add some vanilla or salt n pepper or whatever. i'd say baking power is optional.

oh, and a pan and heat and oil.