Places you really want to see (in North America)

us - canada
cath

Post by cath » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:54 pm

Hmm, I've decided now that the ultimate thing to see would be a space shuttle launch. I've peeped at the schedule for this year, and there are launches from Kennedy scheduled in October and December. It's kinda risky as they may be moved after we've booked, but there's always the visitor centre. And Disney World!

Florida, hmm!

(this was brought to you by my overexcitedness at seeing a space section at the museum of Texas things)

Contravene
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Contravene » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:33 pm

There a wee area in Illinois where there are towns called Manchester, Glasgow and Winchester. I want to hang out round there being cool and mysterious. I think its all boring farmland though

squirrelboutique

Re:

Post by squirrelboutique » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:45 am

Dollywood!

I love her and need to go, preferably this summer.

lynsosaurus

Re: Places you really want to see (in North America)

Post by lynsosaurus » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:26 am

if i can make it to the good old us of a this summer, i am totally coming with you.
if i'm allowed to come, of course

cath

Post by cath » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:22 pm

Awww man, I'm craving a trip to Tennesee. I wanna go to a show at the Opry, waste money at Pigeon Forge and yes, Dollywood! S'not gonna happen this summer though. Too fuckin' hot for me!

Miss 9

Post by Miss 9 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:58 pm

I've never been to Dollywood, strangely.

There used to be a theme park in Nashville called Opryland. It was, as one can imagine, amazing.

It's a mall now. I miss Grizzly River Rampage!
Q: I know you are, but what am I?
A: A garbage man.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:23 pm

Opryland is gone?

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:18 pm

The Graham Norton Show when he goes to Dollywood is maybe my favorite episode ever. I love her, but that made me love her more. The robotic love all the employees have for her is completely captivating. They appear to be drugged, but totally tee-totalling. Instead of going on rides, I would just watch the employees and try to get them to give up the goods and let those smiles crack juuuust a little bit.

If that Liberace Museum opens an accompanying theme park, there is absofuckinglutely no way I'm not making that pilgrimage. Can you imagine?

Miss 9

Post by Miss 9 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:55 am

squirrelboutique wrote:Opryland is gone?
Yeah, Opryland was closed up in like 1998, I remember because I was in 8th grade and the 7th and 8th graders always went to Opryland for our end-of-year trip. We were super pissed, but even moreso when our principal wanted us to go to Loretta Lynn's Ranch. Half of the fun of Opryland was the 2 hour drive...the Dude Ranch was literally 10 minutes away.
Q: I know you are, but what am I?
A: A garbage man.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:02 pm

I cannot believe I have lived in an America without Opryland for ten years and not noticed.

philjunebride

Post by philjunebride » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:34 pm

I'd love to fly to San Francisco, drive down Big Sur to LA, play a gig, then go inland to the Joshua Tree park and maybe stay in the room where Gram Parsons spent his last night...then go up through Death Valley and Yosemite and up to Portland...possibly play a gig there. And then drive down the coast to San Francisco after three glorious weeks and play a gig or two there.....Oh, hang on. That's my July holiday. Bloody hell!!!

I'm so excited!!!!!

cath

Post by cath » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:38 pm

Miss 9 wrote:There used to be a theme park in Nashville called Opryland. It was, as one can imagine, amazing.
Oh, oh! I went to Opryland when I was little, I remember getting Icees and my dad winning me a giant Sylvester stuffed toy, which sat next to me at the Grand Ole Opry later that night. Oh and the folk wandering round dressed as guitars. Yee-haw! Last year when bloke and I were in Nashville we visited the Opry area, and wandering around I spotted remains of demolished rides - some fake rock display - and what probably used to be a snack or ticket hut. Ahhh, memories!

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Cath!

I meant to encourage you with the Florida thing. It's actually a really pretty state, and there's lots of different things to do.

Cape Canaveral! Yeah!

christine

Post by christine » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:30 am

Here's my and my pal Matthew in front of the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas:

I would never in a million years go there, but I wrote a grant and went to an arts conference in Las Vegas for free, hey, why not? Totally weird place.

More photos of Vegas here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skippingstonesrecords
Vegas was fun because we walked around with cameras and took totally wild pictures and watched people. Totally crazy.

Places in the US I'd like to go to:
- Yeah, totally the West Coast thing, but it's so BIG! I have friends in Southern Cal all the way up to Seattle, that'll take weeks!
- Chicago
- Toronto (same continent)
- Washington, DC - I could spend a week visiting the museums there. Last time I was there (at another conference) I figured out the subway, went to the Capitol, visited tons of museums and could've done more. You know what, the Mall is freakin' HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! And we went to the Teenbeat anniversary show there a few years back and stayed at the BEST place, called Hotel Harrington, right off the mall, it's like a hostel (not updated), lots of Europeans and it's cheap.

Actually, Las Vegas is like the Mall in DC. You think that things are really close, but they're not, it's an illusion. The scale in Las Vegas is completely weird and things are designed to look smaller than they actually are. And it's freakin' hot as hell. I went outside during the day to walk a bit and I nearly passed out. Desert heat is not better than any other kind of heat. It's HOT.

As for Florida, it's okay and there's some allure to Disney World, but we hate crowds. My dad lives outside of Orlando these days and I went to hang out with him a few years ago. We saw Cape Canaveral and it was really weird. Nearby, there's a giant port and we sat in a bar at sea level and ate munchies and had drinks and watched huge cruise ships go by. It was cool. When the Disney boat went by, a bunch of people went outside, put on fake Mickey Mouse hands and waved to them. I'm not sure if they were actual Mickey enthusiasts, or if they were paid to do that.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:41 am

christine wrote: As for Florida, it's okay and there's some allure to Disney World, but we hate crowds. My dad lives outside of Orlando these days and I went to hang out with him a few years ago. We saw Cape Canaveral and it was really weird. Nearby, there's a giant port and we sat in a bar at sea level and ate munchies and had drinks and watched huge cruise ships go by. It was cool. When the Disney boat went by, a bunch of people went outside, put on fake Mickey Mouse hands and waved to them. I'm not sure if they were actual Mickey enthusiasts, or if they were paid to do that.
But Orlando is such a small part of Florida!

(a part I avoid as often as possible)

There are tons of parks and springs and the Everglades and Lake Okeechobee and St. Augustine and the West Coast...

christine

Post by christine » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:24 pm

True! I'm just so sick of those Disney World commercials!!!!!!!!!!!!