(I'm not looking for a) New England

us - canada
alongwalkhome

(I'm not looking for a) New England

Post by alongwalkhome » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:43 am

A place to post in if you live in/love/visit/dream of the (not-so) sexy six of the north east of these (not-so) United States. Perhaps we could start a petition to secede from the fucking red states? Ban leaf peepers and hog the foliage for ourselves?

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:41 pm

I'm gonna be the only person posting here, aren't I?

Oh well!

I'm going to the Topsfield Fair today and I can't WAIT! I fucking love this fair. It's the classic giant-misshapen vegetables and rabbits (they're generally not misshapen) deal. 4H runs it. The have accordion players and a BEE HUT!! Woo hoo!

They've already crowned the 2007 Honey Princess. I was robbed.

Look, you can get yer ass checked:

cuppie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/cuppie

Post by cuppie » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:26 pm

i love new england. i went to my friend's family's house in northern mass for easter a couple of years ago, and true to form, the bulk of their conversation centered around the red sox and dunkin donuts. it was awesome.

i think boston is a swinging town and cape cod is one of the more gorgeous place i have ever been.

also, when i was a little kid, a friend's family took me skiing in stowe, vermont with them. on the way there we stopped at the ben and jerry factory. it was sublime. it's amazing how new englanders really enjoy their food but are probably overall the healthiest people in the country outside of california. they love their trail mix in california.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:29 pm

Cuppie wrote:conversation centered around the red sox and dunkin donuts.
Yup--that just about sums it up. Some places people small talk weather; Bostonians small talk the Sox and Dunkins. Until they installed a decent coffemaker in my office, I drank a troth or two of DD ever day and I get a very uneasy feeling if I don't see the orange and fuschia logo on the horizon.

Vermont is fantastic. Lots of farms and skiing. Until very recently, there were officially more cows than people. And gay people can marry. Go VT! I always stop in Burlington (the "big city") driving up to Canada. Montpelier is pronounced "montPEELeeyer". Does that help? Perhaps squirrelbooty, the queen of pronunciation, has her own opinion on the matter.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:11 am

You are dern right with that pronunciating there, Marcy.

How was the bee hut? I bet you stole some bees.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:35 pm

I couldn't find the cocksucking bee hut. And some bitch told me I had to "teach my kid some manners" in the rabbit barn. I told her what for, I tell yah. The 4H has never seen anything like it.

I ate so much crap: maple cotton candy, fried dough, corn dog, candy apple...

After eating nothing but ceral for two weeks, I got so ill. I thought I was gonna die last night. It was awesome.

let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by let it ride » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:25 pm

I SOOOOO want to go to New England! I'd love it, I am sure of it.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:30 pm

Honeymoon in New England! That said, you prolly want something a little more "exotic." You won't much feel you've left England :)

It's getting proper autumnal out there now. It was 90+ degrees on Saturday and then it dipped 30-40 degrees. I hope we get some nice colors (foliage) even if just for a week or so. Cursed global warming.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:38 am

Actually we might go honeymooning in the US and travel around a bit!

I always thought American universities in autumn (the ones where they have proper autumn) would make the most beautiful scene, walking around. I just have this idea in my head about how cosy it would be.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:28 am

From watching Rory walking around (fake) Yale :-)

You're right though. I work for Havard and it's like a postcard in Autumn. Not as lovely as my hometown, though. I'm from Andover, MA. We have this fancy-pants prep school (what you'd call "public" school) and it's the classic red bricks, clapboard colonials, and foliage.

This is one of the libraries on the Andover campus:

As beautiful as it was, I'd still rather live somewhere more small town (with caring people) like Stars Hollow!

miss deepfreeze

Post by miss deepfreeze » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:46 am

i have an unhealthy obsession with new england. maybe because of all those movies about prep schools full of nubile young masters of the universe, and reading 'hotel new hampshire' too often as a kid. oh, and jonathan richman.

anyway, i will be in boston very soon, as miss walkhome knows.
woop!

alongwalkhome

BEANTOWN and propinquity

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:49 pm

You've reminded me that I should repost (yes "borrowed from elsewhere") my useless guide to Boston here:

UM. I never know what to say when people ask about Boston, cuz to me, there's nothing, cuz I didn't live in the city until I graduated university and I had like 12 jobs and no free time. I was a tour guide, but nobody wants to see that boring historical shit. Boy, I'm such an ambassador for Boston! Heh.

Here's my abridged guide:

Fancy shopping: Newbury Street. Just walk the length of it. Nice shops and cafes, etc.

Nice walks:
-The Common/Boston Garden. The State House is beautiful inside if you have time. Cheers is there too, but that's only appealing to middle-aged tourists.
-Around the North End
-Harvard Square: also good shopping/eateries/bars there. I live/work near there if you want me to give you a twirl.

Best bars/gig venues:
-TT the Bearsand the Middle East are both in Central Square, Cambridge. That's also near where I live. Those get the most "indie" stuff. There's a lot of good restaurants/bars in that 'hood.
-If you're there on a Friday night, a good club night is Pill @ Great Scottin Allston (a Boston neighborhood).
-There's other clubs in Boston that attract the bigger indie bands: Paradise, Avalon, etc., but they're best avoided unless someone really amazing is playing.
-'round the corner from me is P.A.'s Loungeand they get a lot of small indie-pop acts. And, randomly, Jens Lekman a couple of years ago! Cuz I can stagger home about 100 yards from there, I give it a thumbs up!

CDs?
-Now that Other Music is gone fr. Harvard Square, you're pretty much left with Newbury Comics. Those are all over the city, but the biggest (and original one) is in Harvard Square in "The Garage". I lived there as a kid. Seriously.
-for used CDs, there's pretty much Nuggets. That's in Kenmore Square (near Fenway Park--go Sox!) Greg may know of others. There's CD Spins in Davis Square in Somerville (also near me) but I'm not sure if they're any good. Davis is great for bars too. And BBQ!

MASSACHUSETTS DAY TRIPS or WEEKEND FR. BOSTON
I recommend:
-Salem, MA--yep, all the witch-hunt tourist stuff. It's a beautiful town and right on the water.
-The Cape (Cape Cod): Provincetown and Hyannis are your best bets for lots to do.
-Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. Beautiful islands off the MA coast. $$$ to stay there, but a day trip via ferry is nice for a stroll around.
-Amherst/North Hampton. Western MA "boho" towns. Home to Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon! And New England Pop Fest! You get the quintessential New England college campuses out there w/Amherst (<--inspiration for Animal House!) and Smith (<---Sylvia Plath's alma mater).
-The Berkshires. Beautiful farm country in western MA. Half way to New York, if you're driving out that way.

WANNA SKI?
Go to the White Mountains in New Hampshire or (better yet) Vermont.

agooner

Post by agooner » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:20 pm

I keep forgeting what New England is

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:09 pm

It's this tiny (by American standards) north eastern corner of the US of A comprised of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. For the life of me I can't remember why we needed to cordon ourselves off like that. I think it had something to do w/the colonists officially differentiating themselves from Virginia and before all the individual states had been founded. I dunno. I'll hear about it again--in true revisionist fashion where he and his classmates will dress up as "Pilgrims" and "Native Americans" and give each other cuddles over bowls of tinned corn and a giant hormone-stuffed turkey--when my son gets to that part at school.

grainy16mm

Post by grainy16mm » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Southern New Hampshire here!

Very pleased/relieved to see a New England thread.

miss deepfreeze

Post by miss deepfreeze » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Oh! I loved it. As well as the lovely Marcy, we met so many friendly people that we concluded Boston must surely be the friendliest city in the world.

We saw other places, as well as Boston, like Portsmouth, NH and Salem and Danvers in Mass.
Oh, and Manchester, Connecticut when we stopped at a Roy Rogers and a Chinese buffet (at a strip mall), on our way to and from New York respectively.

In terms of things to do and see in Boston, my mini-guide is:

Anna's Taqueria, in Brookline/Allston. best burritos in town.

Garment District in Cambridge (btw Kendall and Center Squares) for vintage, from 'pay by the pound' cheapass stuff to pristine deadstock 50s dresses.

Cafe Society in Brookline was also great for vintage, especially accessories like glasses and hatboxes and things.

Walk the Freedom Trail, which will ensure you see all the major historical sites such as the graves of John Hancock and Paul Revere and Benjamin Franklin's school, America's first public school. Good for American Revolution buffs!

I'll post some pictures eventually, so y'all can see how beautiful the weather was and how lovely New England really is in the Fall!

t-fal

Post by t-fal » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:11 pm

I'll be up in your neck of the woods next week sometime. I'm taking a week off betwn. jobs and figured a quick jaunt up north is warranted. I need an Anna's quesadilla, a Bagel Rising sammich, and will be crashing with my sis.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm

t-fal wrote:I'll be up in your neck of the woods next week sometime. I'm taking a week off betwn. jobs and figured a quick jaunt up north is warranted. I need an Anna's quesadilla, a Bagel Rising sammich, and will be crashing with my sis.
Sweet--please let's have some beverages and fine conversation? Plus, I can't believe I've yet to meet your sister. And you got that fucking job??! THE job? I hope so!

t-fal

Post by t-fal » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:16 pm

alongwalkhome wrote:
t-fal wrote:I'll be up in your neck of the woods next week sometime. I'm taking a week off betwn. jobs and figured a quick jaunt up north is warranted. I need an Anna's quesadilla, a Bagel Rising sammich, and will be crashing with my sis.
Sweet--please let's have some beverages and fine conversation? Plus, I can't believe I've yet to meet your sister. And you got that fucking job??! THE job? I hope so!
Yes, I got that job! Wheeeeeeee! Tomorrow's my last day at the current job :)

kcoeur
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/kristycoeur

Post by kcoeur » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:15 pm

I do love living in New England! I'm really glad this thread exists. I'm also really glad someone mentioned Anna's! I need to take a trip to Boston soon.