Flickr!

art, photography, graphic design, architecture, theatre, comedy
linus

Flickr!

Post by linus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 13:07

I wanted to sing the praises of flickr for a moment which I view and use possibly more often than anorak even- it never fails to surprise me and sometimes even appal me (which I don't really mind, in fact I sort of hope it will) and it's not just a site devoted to photography there's art and graphics too- some people have huge archives of found, stolen, scanned and borrowed photos and other ephemera

there was a programme on the history of photography on bbc2 on saturday night and they talked about 'vernacular photography', photographs taken pretty much for any and every other purpose except for artistic ones and I think that's where flickr excels so you can click from some quiet contemplative beautiful corner of somebody's world on one side of the earth to some clearly drug-fuelled riot party antics complete with animal face masks on in another and then you click to somebody's collection of french erotic postcards from the turn of the last century to somebody else's collection of police mugshots from 50's chicago (let's say) and then you click again and there's somebody's cutesie pie moleskine doodles and then you click to some photos from an early 80's punk gig, some no mark band cutting all the right shapes lost to time, then you click to somebody's collection of jack kirby covers and then to some vintage vogue cuttings... and on and on

it's just a lot of fun, an endless parade of gawping opportunities

the world as it is- a glorious earthy raw mess of life, unedited, unencumbered by taste and fashion and commerce and politics

or else utterly consumed by all those things

I like it

linus

Re: Flickr!

Post by linus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:06

and not that anyone's remotely interested but another thing I really love with flickr (and, yes, it's nothing new but it's how it's grown old and ripened so splendidly that's the thing) is the 'favourites' feature where you can 'favourite' other flickr users pictures into your own folder... which is a lovely way of saying 'I likey' about some chap's work, taste and archive cultivation skills but also builds up into a thoroughly enjoyable journey thru' yours or anyone else's skull

I'm always terribly disappointed if somebody doesn't have any 'favourites'-the other good thing about it is it can (when your trawling thru' somebody else's favourites) link you up with flickr users you've yet to discover and yet more collections to devour

as I've said flickr's nothing new but it has become something very treasurable

Colin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx

Post by Colin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:45

I always feel slightly bad for using Flickr for selfish means – to host images which I then post elsewhere (blogger, myspace, Anorak, wherever). I signed up to Flickr back before Blogger offered their own image hosting, before Flickr was a splinter of Yahoo (and before Blogger had been bought up by Google, but I digress).

I probably shouldn’t complain, given that it’s not really intended to be an image-hosting site per se, but I get annoyed with the limitations of it and the fact that there are simple, obvious changes that could be made to the interface that could improve it immeasurably. Things like being able to specify what sizes you want your image to be reproduced in, instead of taking whatever the site automatically changes them to. Being able to drag and drop your images to re-order them on your profile. An easy way to tag photos/change their privacy settings in batches once they’ve been uploaded, if you forgot to do so at the time. Reducing the number of clicks/page loads needed to go from one size of an image to another and back to your photostream. I’m afraid to say that it gives the impression of a site that has been allowed to rest on its laurels with not enough thought given to improving it.

But I suppose all that’s of limited importance if your main concern is browsing other people’s photos. I kind of see it as something like Youtube – there’s bound to be enough on there to keep me interested for days on end, but I can never really be arsed exploring it.

Sorry if this is a bit of a downer after your enthusiastic first posts, Andy. I do like the site, honest. I just think there are some obvious things that could be done to make it better, and I can’t understand why they haven’t been done before now.
Last edited by Colin on Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 15:48

oh, I'd agree it needs updating with the interface and what not, for sure- yeh, there's loads of limitations and things that don't work as you want them to

I still love it though

misgudedly probably

caramarydaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by caramarydaisy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 16:17

i forgot i even had a flickr account until this weekend when someone added me as a friend and i got all confused. theres one photo on my account i think i used to send to someone, probably before i found out about photobucket.. which is what i now use to upload photos i want to stick in other places.

i may reinvestigate flick. could be interesting. not sure how i feel about having loads of my photos up for general viewing tho, which is probably why i never bothered with it in the past.
i said OK! the wind said no

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Mon Feb 23, 2009 16:24

caramarydaisy wrote:i forgot i even had a flickr account until this weekend when someone added me as a friend and i got all confused. theres one photo on my account i think i used to send to someone, probably before i found out about photobucket.. which is what i now use to upload photos i want to stick in other places.

i may reinvestigate flick. could be interesting. not sure how i feel about having loads of my photos up for general viewing tho, which is probably why i never bothered with it in the past.
You can make it so certain folders can only be seen by people you've tagged as friends or family.

caramarydaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by caramarydaisy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 16:26

humblebee wrote:
caramarydaisy wrote:i forgot i even had a flickr account until this weekend when someone added me as a friend and i got all confused. theres one photo on my account i think i used to send to someone, probably before i found out about photobucket.. which is what i now use to upload photos i want to stick in other places.

You can make it so certain folders can only be seen by people you've tagged as friends or family.
yes, i shall peer into it once i reactivate my account :)
i said OK! the wind said no

linus

Post by linus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 16:48

I guess you only make public what you're prepared to have gawped at or stolen (or should I say reappropriated)

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Mon Feb 23, 2009 22:40

It's also happened to me that some very kind lady or sir not stole a picure of mine, but kindly asked permission and sent me the link later to where they'd used it. Despite myself it's kind of cool to see your photo used in the Wall Street Journal or even just some teenager's blog.

I like flickr, although I had forgotten a bit about it until now.

linus

Post by linus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:56

I've gone off flickr a bit as I'm somehow defending the muslim faith from a patrick magoohan fan who keeps quoting whole swathes of christopher hitchens, the daily mail and the times at me

he's american, not that there's anything wrong with that, but he seems annoyed at europeans criticising american foreign and fiscal policy while telling us limeys we should act more terrified and panicky in respect of obscure islamic clerics in our very own back yard-gardens

I just want to look at pretty and, let's be honest, fruity pictures

I suppose this is more the internet's fault than flickr's

linus

Post by linus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 15:03

he's deleted me now as a contact, for fans of internet intrigue

he told me I was not so much 'mellow' as 'stupefied' and that far from living in the 'real world' (where muslims are cutting everybody's throats, presumably) he hopes I'm happy drawing comfort from my assumptions (about reality- as in muslims aren't cutting everybody's throats and christopher hitchens is not the great truth speaker in the universe) presumably before and during the time I get my throat cut by a muslim

parfait amour
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/parfaitamour

Post by parfait amour » Fri Mar 13, 2009 21:24

I use Flickr a lot; I was reading last night about the Byker Estate in Newcastle, and today had a rummage about on Flickr to see how it has fared since contruction.

gogogadgetpop
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/gogogadgetpop

Post by gogogadgetpop » Sat Mar 14, 2009 13:01

linus wrote:some people have huge archives of found, stolen, scanned and borrowed photos and other ephemera
I have a fairly large collection of old slides, snapshots, ephemera, and home movies. Some of them are up on flickr here! Hope you enjoy...

linus

Post by linus » Sat Mar 14, 2009 13:15

gogogadgetpop wrote:
linus wrote:some people have huge archives of found, stolen, scanned and borrowed photos and other ephemera
I have a fairly large collection of old slides, snapshots, ephemera, and home movies. Some of them are up on flickr here! Hope you enjoy...
ha! you're already a contact of mine! and you're just exactly the sort of flickr person that makes me love flickr and be obsessed by flickr

I'm well chuffed you're on anorak

hello!

parfait amour
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/parfaitamour

Post by parfait amour » Sat Mar 14, 2009 17:48

gogogadgetpop wrote:
Oh man.....those are some wonderful images.

*looks through*

gogogadgetpop
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/gogogadgetpop

Post by gogogadgetpop » Mon Mar 16, 2009 16:22

linus wrote:ha! you're already a contact of mine!
Ah! Small internet world. What's your flickr name? I'm glad someones enjoying them. Posting photos on flickr sometimes feels like putting messages in bottles.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Mar 16, 2009 16:26

my flickr name? it seemed so clever all those months ago now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/painsofbeingandyhart/

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Mon Mar 16, 2009 21:27

You have an outstanding Flickr name.

I'm hear in this threadthing to offer public apologies for being the worst Flickrer ever. I can never remember my user name or password and therefore sign in because the process of getting them from Flickr/Yahoo takes like twenty minutes.

So I never manage to notice that people have added me on FLickr or commented on something.

Also, I don't take many photos, and when I do, I don't have the attention span to upload them.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Mon Mar 16, 2009 21:45

squirrelboutique wrote: I'm hear in this threadthing to offer public apologies for being the worst Flickrer ever. I can never remember my user name or password and therefore sign in because the process of getting them from Flickr/Yahoo takes like twenty minutes.

So I never manage to notice that people have added me on FLickr or commented on something.

Also, I don't take many photos, and when I do, I don't have the attention span to upload them.
I fear we have a remarkably similar style of photographing/flickring. Every time I actually successfully log in, I always say to myself that I'll definitely remember my username for the next time. Doesn't happen.

linus

Post by linus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 09:42

there's an anorak forum flickr group

I'm putting the address in the members only area- um, for some reason that seems sensible