STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

we don't know but perhaps a fellow anorak will - ask them here

User avatar
Colin
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:56 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by Colin » Mon May 24, 2010 4:35 pm

When is a question not a question?

I’ve seen this kind of thing a lot – so much that I’m starting to assume I must be wrong:
So the big question is how much debt will we have to repay until our economy is returned to some kind of stability.
I think would write that sentence as follows:
The big question is: how much debt will we have to repay until our economy is returned to some kind of stability?
Maybe with a comma instead of the colon. Is that wrong, or if a question is contained in a sentence like that, which starts out as a statement, does it no longer need a question mark?

moopind
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:59 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Finkublubou
Location: Sheffield

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by moopind » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Sort of related. Have you seen thischucklesome piece (and quiz - I got 10/15) in Once-Mancunian Liberal Berlinersheet, The Guardian?
Daniel & Norbert now on Twitter - @Dentressangular

Bandcamp also? Click me.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by Gordon » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:41 pm

The "cockatoo shaped land mass" was from 'on the hour' and I claim my £10.
Toot toot.

User avatar
andyroo
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:15 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Irlanda

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by andyroo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:09 pm

13 out of 15. Go me!

Little Boots is a pint-sized chart queen. Kylieists.

Yours,
Andrew, Cockatoo-shaped Land Mass
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10528
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by humblebee » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Colin wrote:When is a question not a question?

I’ve seen this kind of thing a lot – so much that I’m starting to assume I must be wrong:
So the big question is how much debt will we have to repay until our economy is returned to some kind of stability.
I think would write that sentence as follows:
The big question is: how much debt will we have to repay until our economy is returned to some kind of stability?
Maybe with a comma instead of the colon. Is that wrong, or if a question is contained in a sentence like that, which starts out as a statement, does it no longer need a question mark?
You've got that right.

There's another way to get it right, which is this.
The big question is how much debt we will have to repay until our economy is returned to some kind of stability.

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10528
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by humblebee » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:29 pm

moopind wrote:Sort of related. Have you seen thischucklesome piece (and quiz - I got 10/15) in Once-Mancunian Liberal Berlinersheet, The Guardian?
Oh, I like!

The POV thing comes up a lot when you're writing about football. "Lewis Gobern... the Birmingham-born wideman... the Wolves academy product... Grimsby's newest signing..." etc etc, all to refer to the same person. We once had a week on Cod Almighty where we were outdoing each other to see who could come up with the silliest. The winner was "the former schoolboy".

User avatar
caramarydaisy
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: sheffield

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by caramarydaisy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:16 pm

is it correct grammar to say:

'doing an act of cruelty to a child...'

it sounds really awkward to me - id have said 'performing an act..' or 'carrying out an act..' am i being a bit wrong?

i guess it must be ok cos its come from the Criminal Justice System??
i said OK! the wind said no

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10528
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by humblebee » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:29 pm

caramarydaisy wrote:is it correct grammar to say:

'doing an act of cruelty to a child...'

it sounds really awkward to me - id have said 'performing an act..' or 'carrying out an act..' am i being a bit wrong?

i guess it must be ok cos its come from the Criminal Justice System??
Pffff. Never assume anyone can write. Except me.

'Doing an act' doesn't break any rules (unless it's a sort of tautology) but it just sounds ridiculous. Your alternatives are much better.

User avatar
caramarydaisy
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: sheffield

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by caramarydaisy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:37 pm

humblebee wrote:
caramarydaisy wrote:is it correct grammar to say:

'doing an act of cruelty to a child...'

it sounds really awkward to me - id have said 'performing an act..' or 'carrying out an act..' am i being a bit wrong?

i guess it must be ok cos its come from the Criminal Justice System??
Pffff. Never assume anyone can write. Except me.

'Doing an act' doesn't break any rules (unless it's a sort of tautology) but it just sounds ridiculous. Your alternatives are much better.
its listed as the offence, and the first letter of each word is in uppercase, which made me wonder if it was some sort of officially worded Act, but i think its just an idiot.
i said OK! the wind said no

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10528
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by humblebee » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:43 pm

caramarydaisy wrote:its listed as the offence, and the first letter of each word is in uppercase, which made me wonder if it was some sort of officially worded Act, but i think its just an idiot.
Hehe. If in doubt, assume it's just an idiot.


User avatar
westgatestreet
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: Habitable Zone

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by westgatestreet » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:40 pm

a layer of chips wrote:Oh dear.

http://twitpic.com/2woyk1
Hah!
Maybe it's not a mistake but a new fashionable typography design idea I haven't heard of yet.

There is also an Orange advert saying "T-Mobile customers .... etc." Need to keep an eye out for it to check whether it embraces the same typography design idea as this one.

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:35 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by RITH » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:14 pm

I just wrote this line on my blog:

'If you've been living on the moon like me' (et cetera)

And then I read that. And then I thought: Hm.
Like me? Like I? Like me? Like I?

Like me?

moopind
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:59 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Finkublubou
Location: Sheffield

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by moopind » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:16 pm

RITH wrote:I just wrote this line on my blog:

'If you've been living on the moon like me' (et cetera)

And then I read that. And then I thought: Hm.
Like me? Like I? Like me? Like I?

Like me?

"Like me" or "Like I have".
Daniel & Norbert now on Twitter - @Dentressangular

Bandcamp also? Click me.

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:35 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by RITH » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Phew, thanks!

User avatar
graysonscolumn
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Sheffield, where I'm happy and it's nice.
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by graysonscolumn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:12 am

humblebee wrote:
The POV thing comes up a lot when you're writing about football. "Lewis Gobern... the Birmingham-born wideman... the Wolves academy product... Grimsby's newest signing..." etc etc, all to refer to the same person. We once had a week on Cod Almighty where we were outdoing each other to see who could come up with the silliest. The winner was "the former schoolboy".
Giggle. In a similar vein, I'm sure there was one guest on Amstell-era ...Buzzcocks whom yr host described as "the singer, presenter and man".

gc
Fifty Shades Of Grayson: http://thatmusiclist.blogspot.com

a layer of chips
Posts: 18606
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:17 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by a layer of chips » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:22 pm

HELP.

Is the plural of ethos really ethoi? I'm not using that. I'll sound like a right twat.

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10528
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by humblebee » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:26 pm

a layer of chips wrote:HELP.

Is the plural of ethos really ethoi? I'm not using that. I'll sound like a right twat.
Is it? I've never heard of it. Where does it say that?

a layer of chips
Posts: 18606
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:17 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: STET this STAT: a grammar emergency thread!

Post by a layer of chips » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:35 pm

On t'internet. It must be true. I used "mindsets" instead.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest