Stereos and that

we don't know but perhaps a fellow anorak will - ask them here
moopind
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Finkublubou

Re: Stereos and that

Post by moopind » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:47 pm

I could get 2 and have an A-L player and an M-Z player...
Daniel & Norbert now on Twitter - @Dentressangular

Bandcamp also? Click me.

Wheatabeat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Stereo equiptment/hi fi's...that sort of thing....

Post by Wheatabeat » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Uncle Ants wrote: Now can anyone here tell me how to stop iTunes cataloguing Bob Dylan under B for Bob?
Oh sorry this may be a bit late. Try under the Sorting Tab, and type Dylan, Bob in the Sort Artist field, it'll fall under D then. For Dylan.
Fuck your tea room.

moopind

Post by moopind » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:30 am

I am trying to wire up new speakers to either of my hi-fi amps with no success. I'm obviously not getting the configuration right, as the amp is cutting out after a few minutes (either amp). So, I've got this flat biwire cable, which has 4 strands: a wider +ve and a narrower +ve, a wider -ve and a narrower -ve. The speakers each have black hf hole, black lf hole, red hf hole, red lf hole, with the option of a brassy bit to connect respective blacks and reds. One amp has 4 holes, one has 8. I'd preder to use the 8-hole one, but I don't really mind. What should be connected to where, please Anoraks?

And I know biwiring is thought to be bollocks by many people. My main priority is I just want music to come out of the speakers. Thanks!

Bandcamp also? Click me.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:56 am

Okay. First thing stop what you are doing for now. If you're managing to get the amps to cut you are doing something wrong and you could be about to do some damage.

Couple of questions:

1) the speakers. I assuming they are biwireable ie. 2 sets of posts each? Do you still have the links? They should have come with a set.

2) the amp with 8 posts. Is one set for speakers A and the other for speakers B? There will be a selector on the front saying A, B, A+B or some such if this is the case and the posts on the back marked accordingly.
In Recordeo Speramus

moopind

Post by moopind » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks. Uncle Ants. Photos of bits:
Attachments
Links.jpg
Cable.jpg
Amp.jpg

Bandcamp also? Click me.

moopind

Post by moopind » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 am

And the speakers' nominal impedence is 8 Ohms, by the way.
Attachments
Speaker-posts.jpg

Bandcamp also? Click me.

moopind

Post by moopind » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Should I only be using 4 of the holes in the back of the amp? What's the significance of having a narrower +ve and a wider +ve; a narrower -ve and a wider -ve in the cables? This may be seen as an elaborate bump, for which I apologise - I'm keen.

Bandcamp also? Click me.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:37 pm

moopind wrote:Should I only be using 4 of the holes in the back of the amp? What's the significance of having a narrower +ve and a wider +ve; a narrower -ve and a wider -ve in the cables? This may be seen as an elaborate bump, for which I apologise - I'm keen.
Just a bit of audiophoolery - at a guess they are sort of intended the thin ones for the HF inputs in the speakers and the thick for the LF inputs. I can't imagine why though ... it actually sounds like a bad idea to me. What sort of cable is it?

If you want to biwire you can either use all eight of the outs on the amp (but you will need to select speakers A+B on the front )... or you can use the ones for speaker A and stuff both the thin and the thick into a single hole. I'd suggest the latter. Some amps won't be that keen on the former (A and B are designed to run two seperate sets of speakers in different rooms), none will mind the latter

We'll do non bi wire first though - that's easier.

1) Fit the links in the baggy so that on each speaker LF+ and HF+ are linked together and LF- and HF+ are linked together.

2) Take both positives from one run of speaker cable and shove them in Speaker A, Left, Red on the back of the amp - these both go into either of the LF+ or HF+ on the left hand speaker - it doesn't matter which as they are linked together, but as it makes them further apart probably whichever is on the outside.

3) Take both negatives on the same run and shove them into Speaker A, Left, Black on the back of the amp and the other end into LF- or HF- on the Left speaker

4) Take both positivesives on the other run and shove them into Speaker A, Right, Red on the back of the amp and the other end into LF+ or HF+ on the Right speaker

5) Take both negatives on the other run and shove them into Speaker A, Right, Black on the back of the amp and the other end into LF- or HF- on the Right speaker

Fire it up.

If you want to try biwiring, remove the links and instead of shoving the thin and the thick ones into a single hole on the speaker, you shove the thin one into the respective HF input and the thick in the respective LF. so:

Speaker A, Left, Red > Left speaker LF+ (thick) and HF+ (thin)
Speaker A, Left, Black > Left speaker LF- (thick) and HF- (thin)
Speaker A, Right, Red > Right speaker LF+ (thick) and HF+ (thin)
Speaker A, Right, Black > Right speaker LF- (thick) and HF- (thin)

You may want to print this out.
In Recordeo Speramus

moopind

Post by moopind » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:44 pm

Ace-ington Stanley. Thanks, Uncle Ants. I will do these things you describe. The cable is Cambridge Audio I think - it says on it, so I'll look. I bought it several years ago, from Richer Sounds in Hull, when I wanted under-carpet cabling.

Bandcamp also? Click me.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:24 pm

eep. Just spotted a dangerous typo. STOP

it should have said:

1) Fit the links in the baggy so that on each speaker LF+ and HF+ are linked together and LF- and HF- are linked together.

If you do what I originally mistyped you could blow your speakers !!!
In Recordeo Speramus

moopind

Post by moopind » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Only just got back, so I haven't done as per the original suggestion (and I'm not sure it'd be possible on these speakers anyway)! Thanks again, Uncle Ants.

Bandcamp also? Click me.

moopind

Post by moopind » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Look at me, posting like it's my own personal thread. Uncle Ants: you put the Tone into Uncle Tony! Thanks a 000000. Sounding sweet at last, and my amplifier's happy.

Bandcamp also? Click me.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:31 pm

Good news :)
In Recordeo Speramus

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:32 pm

I have an ancient stereo. You know, like a black square type dealy? The turn table has gone all wonky and plays records at whatever speed it damnwell likes. Am I right in thinking that it may be the belt that's knackered? How easy/cheap might it be to replace?

I need a whole new system but I simply cannot afford one any time soon so a quick fix would be pretty awesome.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm

It might just need a new drive belt because the existing one has stretched. I've had it happen to me a couple of times and it doesn't cost much to replace.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:22 pm

tonieee wrote:It might just need a new drive belt because the existing one has stretched. I've had it happen to me a couple of times and it doesn't cost much to replace.
Ace! That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. Any tips on where to get 'em or is Maplin as good a place as any?

Edit
Oh crap! I actually have to measure something :-/
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Maplins probably a good place - I think I got mine from Tandy which probably means it was a long time ago! Just take it with you and they should be able to find one the same for you - no need to measure.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Ace! Thanks, Tonieee. Now all I have to do is break into the back of my stereo.

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:38 pm

roundbitsofplastic wrote:Ace! Thanks, Tonieee. Now all I have to do is break into the back of my stereo.
On my old one which sounds similar-ish to yours, you could take the turntable off to get to the belt. There was a really nasty clip holding in place that was a bugger to get off and would nip your fingers if you weren't careful so be careful!

Wheatabeat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:29 am

Martijn wrote: And do you, or does anyone else, know what you really need to make a stereo play your laptop sounds through the speakers, without using calbes?
humblebee wrote: I dunno, sorry. But if you find out, let me know!
I was looking back through this thread and spotted this. But it was 4 years ago or something, so probably not a relevent problem now.

There are a few products which are able to do this (play music through laptops to speakers wirelessly etc). There's a couple of ways to go about it.

1. Wireless Speakers

If you don't have an exisiting Hi-Fi then use a decent set of wireless speakers. I have Canton Your_World speakers in the kitchen (got them from work really, really cheap - they're about £500 new) which are great because you get a USB dongle, which transmits from your computer to the speakers. Audio quality is pretty stunning, easily as decent as a set of £200 bookshelf speakers which you'd need to run through a stereo amplifier anyway. You get the odd momentary dropout but they're pretty stable really. A good alternative (if £500 is a bit too steep) are the Monitor Audio WS100 speakers at £250.00, although these are small, cube-like speakers so best suited if they're on your desk or small room.

Avoid cheap wireless/bluetooth speakers under about £200 would be my advice. They're generally shit overrall

2. Connecting to a hi-fi wirelessly

You can use several devices which can plug into your stereo. If you've got an Apple device or macbook, then just go down the Airplay route with an Airport Express which just connects via 3.5mm jack plug to your stereo. But, for other laptops or non Apple stuff then I recommend the following:

Arcam Solo rDACWireless DAC (£350.00)
Not cheap but excellent audio quality, due to its in-built digital to analogue converter (DAC) on board. Arcam are ace at this kinda thing - sending music through to your hi-fi and enhancing the audio quality. There is a cheaper, bluetooth model called rBlink for £165.00 which you can use if your laptop or mobile device is bluetooth enabled.

QED uPlay Plus (£99.00)
Bit cheaper but you need your laptop or mobile device to be bluetooth enabled for it to work.

Oh, these links are to the online store where I work. If you want to buy something, send me a PM and I'll give you a discount code.
Fuck your tea room.