Attn: Vinyl geeks who understand weights and measures

we don't know but perhaps a fellow anorak will - ask them here
linus

Re: Attn: Vinyl geeks who understand weights and measures

Post by linus » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:04 pm

did it say it 180gsm on any of the packaging? I suppose the thing is if you have an advert or what-have-you from the record label and it specifically refers to the box set you purchased and it containing a 180gsm vinyl lp you have something to go on... I just get a feeling they might get a bit tricksy

if it's stated on the packaging you should be able to take it back to hmv and let them take the strain with the record label, they're effectively selling something that isn't what it purports to be- it's contents are erroneous and whatnot

if the record label really wanted to get shitty they might refer you back to hmv because that's who you bought it from and that's who your 'contract' is with... or sunnink

I'm no expert, I should point out- it sounds like a rum deal and no mistake

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 pm

How much did it cost? If it's higher priced I'd definitely argue the toss.

Usually 180 gram vinyl is at least 180 gram, rather than about 180 gram, from what I've read, anyway, comma.

OtterThanJuly
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/markesp

Post by OtterThanJuly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:59 am

The set itself RRPeed at £70 though obviously, this contains the game itself which would have been £45 on its own... I didn't pay the full £70 though as these things are generally discounted almost immediately. Mine was (I think) £60, part of which I used a bunch of vouchers I'd accrued. I don't think I'd ever toss that much on a game, posh collector's set or no!

Conspicuously the box itself doesn't actually specify vinyl weight, using the rather ambiguous "authentic" to describe it, as if we were just expecting this to be a useless replica (which the supplied product almost is!) but all the pre-release information I used to justify the purchase to myself made the 180g thing clear and that it was an internet transaction muddies things a bit, especially as it's been a fair few weeks since the box was delivered... Though obviously the main draw is the game itself so I think it's fair to assume people would leave detailed investigation of the auxiliary goodies until after they'd played the game especially since the art book and soundtrack CD contain spoilers by definition...
The world is like a CD. Flat, round and you can stack it on a shelf.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:21 am

Looking on the HMV site, the description there doesn't say 180g either, though on Amazon it does.

To be honest from what you have described it wouldn't sound too hot even if they pressed it on 220g vinyl if they've crammed twenty minutes play into half the available space. I doubt very much they would release this in two different weights ... if yours is 125g, I reckon they will all be - after all it says it's a single production run.

I think the promo stuff has it wrong, either they decided to go with the lighter weight after they had issued all the promotional stuff to save money OR the pressing plant screwed up and it was too late to do anything about it and they kept schtum. HMV will probably offer you a refund if you return it ... which I'm guessing (and so will they) that you aren't going to do because then you'll have nothing.

I'm quite intrigued by the idea of having computer game special editions with vinyl included though. If there was a vinyl version of the soundtrack to the original Gran Tourismo or Grand Theft Auto London ... I'd buy them :)
Last edited by Uncle Ants on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Recordeo Speramus

OtterThanJuly
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/markesp

Post by OtterThanJuly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:26 am

Aye, without the vinyl, I'd have likely not bothered with it and picked up the game on its own a few months later for £15... I'm a sucker for novelty, I guess.

The only other video game related vinyl I have is a flexi disc from a Commodore magazine containing SID-ified covers of Heaven 17 tracks... I'm sure there must be others!
The world is like a CD. Flat, round and you can stack it on a shelf.