Gardening

like, y'know, crafty stuff, exercise, walking, gardening...
Kerrykerry
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Gardening

Post by Kerrykerry » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:18 am

With the weather improving and all that I've made a start a working on the patch of ground at the back of our house we refer to as our 'Garden'.

I've often tended to kill as many plans as I'm able to grow, but I've found all the digging quite fun and it'll be nice to look at some flowers from the hammocks we've put up come the summer.

So far i've started the usual salad stuff and a few bulbs. Any tips or ideas for sucessful gardening, exchange them here!

knibbles

Re: Gardening

Post by knibbles » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:22 am

I'm trying to grow some veg and herbs and stuff this year for the first time ever. I'm going to do my tomatoes in hanging baskets and I've got evey herb ever invented growing in a little plastic green house thing in the kitchen. I don't know when it is safe to put them outside, though. I'm scared they will all die. Will they all die? Also the peat pots they are growing in have all gone mouldy so the house is full of poison. In summary, I don't know what I'm doing.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

linus

Post by linus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:52 am

knibbles wrote:I don't know what I'm doing.
I'll speak to Jeany Mac- growing tomatoes in a hanging basket sounds, um, bold... but that's not to say you shouldn't

Some herbs will do better outdoor than in: coriander, dill and parsley, for instance- the first two because they like a lot of sun and the latter because it will grow more abundantly in the garden than indoors- some herbs you grow will only yield one crop and then you have to resow the following season

Get yourself an indoor growbag, girl, one that'll fit on a window sill that gets good light- there are advantages to growing indoor than out

What do you want to grow? You can't grow fish fingers, chips and beans from seed, knibs

linus

Post by linus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:54 am

well, you could grow the potatoes for the chips and probably the beans and, indeed, the tomatoes to go in the bean sauce but that's a lot of faff when you can get the chips out of the freezer and the beans out of a tin

knibbles

Post by knibbles » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:07 pm

linus wrote:
knibbles wrote:I don't know what I'm doing.
I'll speak to Jeany Mac- growing tomatoes in a hanging basket sounds, um, bold... but that's not to say you shouldn't

Some herbs will do better outdoor than in: coriander, dill and parsley, for instance- the first two because they like a lot of sun and the latter because it will grow more abundantly in the garden than indoors- some herbs you grow will only yield one crop and then you have to resow the following season

Get yourself an indoor growbag, girl, one that'll fit on a window sill that gets good light- there are advantages to growing indoor than out

What do you want to grow? You can't grow fish fingers, chips and beans from seed, knibs
I bought tumbling toms seeds, I think they are special ones that like being in a basket. They are coming on quite nicely, they are too tall for the propogator now, so I'll have to turf them out. The parsley is all over the place, growing at funny angles so I reckon I'll stick that in a pot soon. As for the basil and rosemary and thyme it looks do pathetically weak I'm not sure what will happen if I stick it outside.

Some advice from the Jeanatron would be very much appreciated. I'm out of my depth now. It was all very easy following the directions on the back of a seed packet but now they are growing up so fast I've lost control and don't know what to do with them.

knibbles

Post by knibbles » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:10 pm

linus wrote:well, you could grow the potatoes for the chips and probably the beans and, indeed, the tomatoes to go in the bean sauce but that's a lot of faff when you can get the chips out of the freezer and the beans out of a tin
I wonder how you grow a bean then. I'm growing all the ingredients needed for filano apart from perhaps cheese and bread. It's fun growing your own tea. I'm going to get my spuds in this week, I reckon. Then I can have chips for my tea everyday.

linus

Post by linus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm not quite sure how one grows a bean but everytime I see somebody looking crestfallen and self-pitying; when their head and shoulders are drooping and they have a general air of defeat about them I'm going to march up to them, stab them in the chest with a pointy index finger and bark 'for godsakes! grow a bean!'

grow a bean!

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:41 pm

knibbles wrote:I'm trying to grow some veg and herbs and stuff this year for the first time ever.
Me too! I'm thinking of trying carrots, potatoes and spinach.
knibbles wrote:I'm scared they will all die. Will they all die?
This is a big concern of mine too. Everything that I've ever tried to grow in my garden has died except for the things I got out of my friend Penny's garden. I'm hoping the fact that I'm going to get a nice meal at the end of it all will motivate me to learn how to do it properly...

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:43 pm

linus wrote:grow a bean!
Coincidently my colleagues having been having a conversation about beans and pulses and legumes and what the difference between them are. I might grow a bean now.

linus

Post by linus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:48 pm

never underestimate your soil

is it very clay-ey? overly chalky? too alkaline? this is all very significant, I believe

have you actually got any soil? I've spilt many a seed on a rocky (ok, porcelain) ground and nothing ever good has come of it

Kerrykerry

Post by Kerrykerry » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:37 pm

My soil is rubbish-stoney-london soil, what can I grow? Or should I give up on actual earth and stick to grow bags?

Oh, and I remember growing runner beans when I was a kid, we grew them against bamboo poles arranged so they looked like wigwams. The flowers on runner beans are very pretty too.

linus

Post by linus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:16 pm

stony soil will result in problems with drainage, you'll water your plants and the water will run down beyond the roots and your plants won't get a good drink and will get thirsty and miserable (always wanting more)

digging the top layer of soil with stony soil may result in just churning up more stony soil... a lot of modern gardens are just slabs of lawn over a mixture of building waste and the existing soil so you may find even worse stuff the deeper you dig

the trick is to add organic material on top of the existing soil, so cultivating your own compost is a good idea or buying in mulch or mushroom compost in the first instance- add a layer of that and then grow plants that don't need to be in deep soil (so with veg anything that grows under the ground like carrots or potato are a no no) and that are unaffected by free drainage (soil that doesn't retain the water)

growing out of bags or in pots is basically this method but growing from a container rather than adding the organic matter, etc onto the existing beds

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:39 pm

Ooh fun!

Last year was my first proper gardening year. I planted several kinds of sweet peas that sadly died, I'm not sure if they will come up again this year or not. I never even got them to flower before they kind of got forgotten. Erm.

At the front of the house though, woot woot woot, the clematis is really coming back again, it is a purple and pink, and I also have pink geranium plants:

Also, the cowslip I bought in Sheffield last spring are back! :D
Cowslips are some of my favourite flowers. They're banned from picking in Sweden, so it was nice to buy a plant of my own.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

obo-bobolina

Post by obo-bobolina » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:10 pm

I can't wait to have a garden again. I miss gardening so much. I transformed the garden in my old house from a rectangular patch of grass surrounded by boring fence panels into a green haven. The only photo I can access just now, though, is this one taken at dusk just before I moved out when many of my pots had already been moved to my mum's and aunty's gardens, including my favourite plants (I had a collection of beautiful acers).

Give over.

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:24 pm

knibbles wrote:Also the peat pots they are growing in have all gone mouldy so the house is full of poison. In summary, I don't know what I'm doing.
You clearly have a talent for growing mould, so think about starting a mould farm.
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:13 pm

Some shitting cunt of a neighbour has told our bollocks-chopped fuckwit of a letting agent that our gardenis "in quite a mess". Yes, it was overgrown, because we rarely use the garden for anything unless one of our bikes needs fixing, and the fence hasn't been fixed (though that's the agent's responsibility), but I'm pissed off. As it looks like it'll rain tomorrow, we've had to spend this afternoon weeding and cutting grass, because they're coming here to inspect the place on Tuesday. I'm a little irritated by it, firstly because the neighbour chose to dob us in rather than ask us face to face to tidy the garden up, and secondly because we've reported problems with the house to our agents several times and they've done fuck all. Now suddenly they care about the state of the property because we've neglected to cut the grass.

So anyway... We've got a pond. It's full of some kind of green plant with tiny leaves. Does anyone know how to get rid of it, apart from dredging it with a child's fishing net?

Tomb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242

Post by Tomb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:11 pm

Concrete wrote:So anyway... We've got a pond. It's full of some kind of green plant with tiny leaves. Does anyone know how to get rid of it, apart from dredging it with a child's fishing net?
Is it a small floating plant? If so its duckweed and you have sussed the best way to get rid of it!

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:54 pm

Tomb wrote:
Concrete wrote:So anyway... We've got a pond. It's full of some kind of green plant with tiny leaves. Does anyone know how to get rid of it, apart from dredging it with a child's fishing net?
Is it a small floating plant? If so its duckweed and you have sussed the best way to get rid of it!
I just Googled that, and it is indeed what we have. Oh well. We've found the fishing net that we used last time.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:04 pm

This is not strictly gardening since I don't have a garden but what experience do people have of growing herbs in the kitchen? I'm thinking of getting a big pot to grow some basil, parsley and stuff like that on the window sill. My kitchen is not super light but it's not dark either. What are good conditions for herbs to grow indoors?

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:37 pm

The police have been alerted.