Hi-Fi Hardware - Turntables, Valves & Tapes

like, y'know, crafty stuff, exercise, walking, gardening...
Final Loan
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Hi-Fi Hardware - Turntables, Valves & Tapes

Post by Final Loan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:16

True. That would be a waste of good ale...
I may be ugly and hate-filled but... wait, what was the third thing you said?

Pockets Filled With Matches are no more, but we still have copies of our e.p. 'If Time Heals You' for sale, if you'd like one

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:17

Final Loan wrote:True. That would be a waste of good ale...
Not convinced it'd be all that good for your records either :)
In Recordeo Speramus

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Sat Oct 03, 2009 19:24

Uncle Ants wrote:There are special little carbon brushes and stuff you can use, but the cheapest way and one of the best is to get a thing called a Mr Clean Magic Eraser - you can get them online or I think Wilco's may do them, they are about £4. Blow any loose fluff off it then drop the needle onto the white side, then raise the needle. maybe move it slightly and repeat. Whatever you do, don't move it with the needle in it or you could lose the stylus. That warning aside, it works a treat. They are also handy for lots of other things - removing scuffs, crayon and all sorts of marks from walls, doors, plastic etc.

edit, though I wouldn't use the same one for cleaning your stylus :) Maybe cut a suitably sized chunk off it and use that for the stylus if you want to use the rest as an antiralphmess cleaner
They had no Mr Clean but instead something called Doktor Power magic Eraser. I'm guessing the same thing. The only question I have is that it says on the instructions that you need to use water with it to activate the magic cleaning power. You make no mention of water in your post - should I put water in it or not?

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:31

No. You just need water for cleaning Ralph marks off of doors and skirting boards.

Edit: assuming it Is the same thing. Melamine foam. The Mr clean ones have one side impregnated with cleaning stuff and one side not. It's thenot side you are supposed to use but I don't see what harm the cleaning stuff side would do. Might be wise to give it a play with a record you don't care about after just to shake any loose though, just in case.
In Recordeo Speramus

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:27

Uncle Ants wrote:No. You just need water for cleaning Ralph marks off of doors and skirting boards.

Edit: assuming it Is the same thing. Melamine foam. The Mr clean ones have one side impregnated with cleaning stuff and one side not.
I did a bit of googling about it and sounds pretty similar (it looks like a big white sponge) except it doesn't have the two sides. I couldn't find any mention of anyone trying to use the Doktor Power to clean stylii though.
Uncle Ants wrote:It's thenot side you are supposed to use but I don't see what harm the cleaning stuff side would do. Might be wise to give it a play with a record you don't care about after just to shake any loose though, just in case.
Good thinking that. A bit too late for me as I've already tried it! It doesn't seem to have done any damage to the record.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Sun Oct 04, 2009 14:36

Does it seem to have made any difference to it's dust collecting habit?
In Recordeo Speramus

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Sun Oct 04, 2009 16:32

Uncle Ants wrote:Does it seem to have made any difference to it's dust collecting habit?
I've only tried two records so far and they were fine but I cleaned them well anyway so I might not have noticed any difference. I'll have to try again with a not so clean record.

frogblast
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/frogblast

Post by frogblast » Sun Oct 04, 2009 19:39

My old (1970s) sony receiver is broken, well the left channel is. Just horrible buzzing, can't even use it just as a phono stage (right side works, left side doesn't). I'm hoping it's just one of the ancient capacitors, which I'm going to replace once the new ones I ordered arrive. It's times like this I wish I had paid attention in the physics classes I did about electronics.
Sun like honey on the floor,
Warm as the steps by our back door.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Wed Oct 07, 2009 16:32

tonieee wrote:They had no Mr Clean but instead something called Doktor Power magic Eraser. I'm guessing the same thing. The only question I have is that it says on the instructions that you need to use water with it to activate the magic cleaning power. You make no mention of water in your post - should I put water in it or not?
Asking around Doktor Power and Mr Clean are the same thing. It's just a very fine abrasive material that works better on surfaces when damp. Like wet and dry paper.
In Recordeo Speramus

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27

hello!

my record player is sounding not quite right and i dont know what it is. its a technics something or other (will tell you the model later) and im sure in the past ive definitely known when the stylus needed replacing, maybe thats all it is, but to my ears it just sounds maybe a bit off in terms of speed or pitch, so im wondering if it might be something else? ive checked ive not knocked that little pitch wheely thing and that seems ok. its not sounding overly muffled to suggest its the stylus, hence me being concerned its something else..

i guess its fairly old, and to be honest i have no idea about even replacing the stylus/cartridge, i think i need to find a tiny screwdriver and take it off but i have no idea what id ask for or where to go (i have a feeling maplin wont do..) so what should i do first? or how can i check? any advice?
i said OK! the wind said no

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 13:07

caramarydaisy wrote:hello!

my record player is sounding not quite right and i dont know what it is. its a technics something or other (will tell you the model later) and im sure in the past ive definitely known when the stylus needed replacing, maybe thats all it is, but to my ears it just sounds maybe a bit off in terms of speed or pitch, so im wondering if it might be something else? ive checked ive not knocked that little pitch wheely thing and that seems ok. its not sounding overly muffled to suggest its the stylus, hence me being concerned its something else..

i guess its fairly old, and to be honest i have no idea about even replacing the stylus/cartridge, i think i need to find a tiny screwdriver and take it off but i have no idea what id ask for or where to go (i have a feeling maplin wont do..) so what should i do first? or how can i check? any advice?
Could be the drive belt is stretched? I've had that with mine before and it wasn't much to replace.

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 13:12

tonieee wrote:
caramarydaisy wrote:hello!

Could be the drive belt is stretched? I've had that with mine before and it wasn't much to replace.
im wondering if its something like this but i have no idea how id try and find out or even access the drive belt?

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 14:54

caramarydaisy wrote:im wondering if its something like this but i have no idea how id try and find out or even access the drive belt?
I don't know - with mine you just lift the turntable off but it's designed to do that as that's how you change between 33 and 45. One I used to own had a pop-up bit in the middle and then a clip that you had to remove from the spindle and then you could lift the turntable off. Maybe you could google your model when you find it. Where's Uncle Ants when you need him!

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Wed Feb 17, 2010 14:56

If it doesn't sound muffled and doesn't distort then the stylus is almost certainly ok. If it is a belt drive, and not all are, some are direct drive, then lifting the platter off, you should see the belt under there.
In Recordeo Speramus

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 15:10

ill have a proper look when i get home and check the model, but im fairly sure nothing lifts off.. hmmm! will let you know in a few hours!

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Wed Feb 17, 2010 15:17

The model number will help yes - if nothing else it may tell us if it's a belt drive or not. Like Tonieee says, sometimes there is a little clip on the spindle that needs taking off before you can remove the platter.

If it's a belt drive it could be the belt (good because it's easy to fix) or it could be a failing motor or other electronic components (bad because they aren't so easy to fix). If it's direct drive, I'm afraid the possibilities are only bad ones.

A question though, is the speed varying or is it consistently slow/fast?
In Recordeo Speramus

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 19:05

RIGHT

it is a technics SL-BD22D and i have the instruction manual which has a very handy list of technical specifications if there is anything you want to know that will help you help me diagnose the problem..

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 19:22

caramarydaisy wrote:RIGHT

it is a technics SL-BD22D and i have the instruction manual which has a very handy list of technical specifications if there is anything you want to know that will help you help me diagnose the problem..
That appears to be a belt driven one - does your manual tell you how to get at the belt?

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 19:44

tonieee wrote:
caramarydaisy wrote:RIGHT

That appears to be a belt driven one - does your manual tell you how to get at the belt?
yes! i have managed to get the plate off and the belt appears to be a quite large rubber band?

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 19:52

caramarydaisy wrote:yes! i have managed to get the plate off and the belt bappears to be a quite large rubber band?
That's the one. If you take that to a hi-fi shop and the model of your turntable then they should be able to sell you a replacement - I got mine from Moorgate Acoustics. I don't know if there a way you can tell if it's a problem with a belt without buying a replacement - do you know Uncle Ants?