Board Games!

like, y'know, crafty stuff, exercise, walking, gardening...
squirrelboutique

Board Games!

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:01 am

I love them!

We got these two for five dollar hicky doo game things at Target yesterday instead of me buying a wii. One is Mancala, and the other is Jumbling Towers. It's like Jenga but not called Jenga and I have to keep reminding David not to call it Jenga. I'm sure the copyright police are going to bust into the house any second shouting "Cease and desist!"

But, yes. I love board games.

And let's use that phrase loosely so we can talk about games like Uno and Jenga and other boardless games that are boardy in spirit.

alongwalkhome

Re: Board Games!

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:59 am

I have the Target Tumbling Towers Jenga copy thing! It makes Ewan and I very nervous--not good for those of our constitution. Perfection also makes us both shit ourselves. We also have one of those big 6 games in a box things from Target with checkers and chess and cribbage (wish I knew how to play that) and stuff in it.

I LOVE board games. My favorite, of course, is Scrabble. I also love all the old school ones I've been playing with Ewan like Ants in the Pants (not actually a board, but...erm...pants), Cooties (also not a board, but, you know most of 'em aren't really, are they?), Clue, Trouble (so good!), and Kerplunk (also not a board, but, you know most of 'em aren't really, are they). I hate Shoots n' Ladders; you're right at the end and then FUCK a motherfuckin' slide down to, like, the second row. BALLS. Same for Candyland: thank the lawd Ewan's finally too old for that.

And I love Trivial Pursuit--esp. the 80s ones (esp. playing people too young to remember--I'm mean that way!) even though I suck at it. I like Boggle too! I used to love Yahtzee as a kid--man I haven't played that in years.

I only like playing Monopoly with non-ruthless people, which is completely pointless, isn't it?

I loved when we played Taboo in NY--can you believe I've never played it again?

madcat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/hullukissa

Post by madcat » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:55 am

Love:
Scrabble
Scattergories
Mellow Chess (as in, not all aggro about certain strategies and shit)
Pictionary
Trivial Pursuit
Othello
Hungry Hippos

I hate Clue though, despite the great figurines it comes with. All that deductive reasoning wears me out.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:56 am

Ralph got Mousetrap for Christmas and it's changed! There are three different traps now and you have to trigger them by flushing a toilet. It seems a bit more fun than I remember it.

One of my favourite games is Hype!, a game made by Virgin in the eighties which is about being in a band and trying to get a number one single and the board is shaped like a record. I got it in a charity shop about 10 years ago and never seen it before or since.

Another good one is a Thunderbirds game from the mid 90s where your counters represent each of the Thunderbirds and each has a different ability - Thunderbird 1 moves twice the number on the dice, Thunderbird 2 can carry twice as many things and Thunderbird 3/4 are the only ones which can go into space/under the sea.

Cluedo is ace too but I can't play it with Jo as she gets annoyed with me for thinking while playing it which she sees as cheating...

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 am

Strictly speaking is the Jengalike properly a board game? If so then I always used to enjoy Kerplunk - though I saw that that has been unnecessarily jazzed up for the noughties.

Frustration and Ludo were my favourites as kids - and Tonieee, they would suit Jo admirably as any thought while playing them would have to be along the lines of "what's for tea" or "did I switch the oven off" and thus couldn't be deemed cheating.

But really I think Othello/Reversi is my favourite.

The Hype game sounds great though.
In Recordeo Speramus

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:16 am

alongwalkhome wrote: I hate Shoots n' Ladders; you're right at the end and then FUCK a motherfuckin' slide down to, like, the second row. BALLS.
Is that like Snakes and Ladders for people who worry about animal rights?
In Recordeo Speramus

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:39 am

Uncle Ants wrote:I always used to enjoy Kerplunk - though I saw that that has been unnecessarily jazzed up for the noughties.
We have Kerplunk - the old-fashioned, non-jazzed up version. It is good fun but it takes far too long to put all the straws in and then the game is over in minutes...
Uncle Ants wrote:Frustration and Ludo were my favourites as kids - and Tonieee, they would suit Jo admirably as any thought while playing them would have to be along the lines of "what's for tea" or "did I switch the oven off" and thus couldn't be deemed cheating.
I used to have Frustration as a kid - I did used to like it but I can't remember much about it except for the pop-o-matic dice thing. Is it similar to Ludo?

We have magnetic travel version of Ludo for when we go camping but haven't played it fully yet as Ralph hasn't got a long enough attention span - we've just played it as the first person to get one counter home is the winner.

indiehorse
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by indiehorse » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:01 am

I was thinking the other day that I need to invest in more board games for my flat.

I heart Scrabble and Boggle the most.

I like Scategories, Articulate/Taboo, Topix (each player has a different category and letter; you list all the suitable words you can think of and then pass the category/letter on to the next person), Tension (given a subject; there's ten answers on the card; you have to get as many as possible), Pictionary, Cluedo, Risk, Buccaneer (pirate based board game), the Game of Life, Chess, Othello, Trivial Pursuit.

I have mixed feelings about Monopoly.

soft revolution
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc

Post by soft revolution » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:14 am

A popular one in the Soft Revolution household used to be Mine a Million where you had to set up a mining operation and export your minerals.

Ooh, also Escape from Colditz and we had one called Careers in which you decided whether you wanted fame, money or happiness from the outset and then had to follow career choices which got you them. Prospecting was always a good bet for getting minted, though you could go to the moon too if you became an astronaut (but you didn't get to pass go if you did). The little career paths were in the middle of what looked like a monopoly board.

Has anyone played Settlers of Catan? It looks awesome.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

bonjour_tristesse
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/missmillward/

Post by bonjour_tristesse » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:37 am

I used to play this game called Escape from Atlantis when I was on holiday in Wales as a kid. It was great, you were on a sinking island and had to escape on boats narrowly dodging sharks and octopi along the way!

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:03 pm

tonieee wrote:I used to have Frustration as a kid - I did used to like it but I can't remember much about it except for the pop-o-matic dice thing. Is it similar to Ludo?
Frustration is very similar to Ludo I think (it's over 30 years since I played it). pop-o-matic dice and round tubular counters which fitted into holes - and if you land on someone elses piece you sent them back

The pop-o-matic dice shouldn't be underestimated for injecting excitement into a game. Especially the mad frenzy at the beginning as you quickly go round the table trying to get a six to start.
In Recordeo Speramus

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:05 pm

indiehorse wrote:.... , Pictionary, Cluedo, Risk,
How could I have forgotten about Risk - the greatest board game ever devised.
In Recordeo Speramus

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by lynsosaurus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 pm

i get the fear whenever playing any of those games that involve sudden movements, like buckaroo, kerplunk!, operation, jenga. you know things are going to fall over or pop or buzz, and the whole game is centred around that happening, but it's still horrible when it happens.

i played rummikub the other week for the first time in years. best game ever! i remember spending a rainy week in a caravan in the lake district when i was a kid, playing rummikub for hours on end.

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:24 pm

soft revolution wrote:Has anyone played Settlers of Catan?
Yes.
soft revolution wrote:It looks awesome.
It is. I've also played Spacefarers of Catan which is not as good as Settlers but kind of better because it is in space!

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:31 pm

Uncle Ants wrote:How could I have forgotten about Risk - the greatest board game ever devised.
Yes, I think Risk is ace too. I've also played a couple of Risk-like board games that were very good but a bit involved - History of the World and, I think, Brittania. They had similar mechanics to Risk but tried to reflect real life and so you got to be Romans and Vikings and stuff. I think History of the World took two nights to complete!

I've got a friend who's a bit of a board game geek and I've played all sorts of obscure board games with him.

Also good games are: Cosmic Encounter and Zombies!. I believe there is a new version of Zombies! out called Humans where you play the zombies and the aim is to eat as many humans as possible so I might have to look at that...

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Uncle Ants wrote:
alongwalkhome wrote: I hate Shoots n' Ladders; you're right at the end and then FUCK a motherfuckin' slide down to, like, the second row. BALLS.
Is that like Snakes and Ladders for people who worry about animal rights?
I have no idea why Snakes and Ladders is Chutes and Ladders in the U.S.

I bet it's because the rest of the world likes its games just a little bit spookier than we do.

Rowlo sabotaged a number of rounds of Jumbling Towers last night.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:15 pm

tonieee wrote:We have Kerplunk - the old-fashioned, non-jazzed up version. It is good fun but it takes far too long to put all the straws in and then the game is over in minutes...
Ain't it the truth?

I suppose the American incarnation of Shoots 'n Ladders was from a radical game marketer who took the separation of church and state seriously, imbuing it even into our living rooms.
i get the fear whenever playing any of those games that involve sudden movements, like buckaroo, kerplunk!, operation, jenga. you know things are going to fall over or pop or buzz, and the whole game is centred around that happening, but it's still horrible when it happens
That's the fear that Perfection puts into Ewan and I. Our poor hearts literally can't take it. It's like certain rollercoasters, some are deliciously fun and some just make you shit your pants. Perfection crosses that line.
Rowlo sabotaged a number of rounds of Jumbling Towers last night.
Aw. I keep forgetting that I can now actually play Scrabble IN my house. Libby, my cat who died this year, just wouldn't allow it. She loved to sprawl on the board (and wipe the tiles out) to be part of it all.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:56 pm

Uncle Ants wrote: Frustration is very similar to Ludo I think (it's over 30 years since I played it). pop-o-matic dice and round tubular counters which fitted into holes - and if you land on someone elses piece you sent them back
Oh, so "Ludo" must be Trouble. Isn't it strange how the games aren't called the same thing in the States? If I were in the UK and wanted to buy Trouble, I'd have had no luck.

I just played Connect 4 with my son and have to say, even 30-odd years on, I still get a primitive thrill from releasing the checkers at the end with the slider thingy. I'm ashamed to say we had to take turns doing it. Yes, I denied my 6-year-old the privilege of pulling the checker-releasing lever.

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:51 am

gloom button wrote:Has anyone by chance ever played any Cheapass Games?
I've seen them in the shops but never bought one. Perhaps I should, they sound like a good idea.

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:15 am

I thought Ludo was "sorry".

anyway. betwen othello, abalone, and scrabble I think we got it covered. And we don;t need no dice.

Nancy made me a travel othello set for Christmas out of a pair of jeans.
Toot toot.