Dishes/Washing Up

like, y'know, crafty stuff, exercise, walking, gardening...
let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Dishes/Washing Up

Post by let it ride » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:31 am

Ugh, washing up is my least favourite household chore to do. My favourite thing to do is laundry (now THAT I enjoy) and organising, but washing up?

When I was little, we didn't have one and the system was that for 2 night a week I had to do it (and this in a 5 people household, and me with a 10 year old amount of maturity about it) and there was nothing I hated more. Finishing homework after dinner, and then that dreaded washing up.

Also here, we have the lovely kitchen solution of one big white plastic sink. This means we have to fill up a separate big bowl with either hot sudsy water or the rinsing water. In any case I absolutely hate it.

Thankfully we got to inherit Jonny's parents' old one I think about a year ago (I can't quite remember now) and it was honestly one of the happiest grown-up moments of my life when I set it off for the first time. As long as you rinse stuff off, it's fine to not set it off all the time. I guess we just produce enough washing up!

Still. Yuk yuk yuk. Warm water that slowly turns another colour and may have random gunk in it. HELL. NO.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:39 am

let it ride wrote:
Still. Yuk yuk yuk. Warm water that slowly turns another colour and may have random gunk in it. HELL. NO.
oh god. i have to agree that the feeling/thought of putting my bare (and even kitched-gloved) hands in that gunky water is the grossest thing ever. i shudder whenever i have to do it. normally we try to do the filling-up-sink-with-sudsy water and letting the dishes steep right before we put them in the dishwasher, but sometimes we let them sit in there for a while and if the water isn't hot anymore it's an ever grosser feeling.

my mom always rinses under running water/scrubs a bit before putting in the dishwasher, instead of steeping the dishes, so there is no gross water stage.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by let it ride » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:49 am

Yeah, even just with the dishwasher I always rinse off the plates/crockery properly before they go in, and then clear the sink.

I don't know if it's the water here or something (that it's so hard) but i find it hard to get things properly cleaned with just hot sudsy water + rinsing in cold water. The dishwasher does it well though. I am pretty sure once we are in Stockholm we won't have a dishwasher (most places don't come with one), but for some reason I find it a lot easier to do the washing up there (?!) than here.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose