Genieol... jeanie... er, doing your family tree

like, y'know, crafty stuff, exercise, walking, gardening...
humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Genieol... jeanie... er, doing your family tree

Post by humblebee » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Any of you do this? I've always fancied it but never had the time. But I've just had an email from one of my uncles and he's doing our family history. So I've just discovered the name of my great-great-grandfather on my mum's side and that he was born in Nettleton, Lincolnshire in 1833. This is a little bit awesome, actually.

Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Re: Genieol... jeanie... er, doing your family tree

Post by Damian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:57 pm

I've always wanted to do this, but my mum was an orphan (and no idea of parents) and all I know of my dad's side of the family is that my great grandad had a different surname and was in the Boer war, which I suppose is quite exciting in itself.

What I mean though, is how do you get started? Parish records? Other members of the family with a long memory? Hopefully someone on here will know, I'd like to try. I'd really like to find a criminal or some scandal or something.

Anyway, yeah, good topic.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:59 pm

humblebee wrote:So I've just discovered the name of my great-great-grandfather on my mum's side and that he was born in Nettleton, Lincolnshire in 1833. This is a little bit awesome, actually.
Aw, wow.

Both my grandfathers got into genealololology in the early 1990s. The most moving thing my paternal grandfather managed to discover a few months before he died was his uncle's papers from Ellis Island from when him and his family escaped to the States from Ayvalik in 1922, following the Greek-Turkish war. They had to change their name there and then because it was too long, so no-one knew what had happened to them and couldn't trace them - and they didn't know where everyone had ended up either. But after my grandad found those papers, we tracked them down on the interwebs and it turned out we had family in Chicago. That was pretty mind-blowing. The other things that I learnt in the early 1990s that left me kind of gobsmacked for a bit was that my great-grandparents were all born in different countries (Greece, Turkey, France and Germany) and that at least three of my mum's immediate family, going back to the 19th century, were train drivers. I think Indietracks needs to be renamed after me.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:18 pm

My Dad's really in to this and has traced his family back to about the 1400s or something. He's even found out that one of our distant ancestors was awarded a coat of arms and he had it made up and it hangs above the living room door. I think he's written articles for some family history magazine too. A while ago Jo was thinking of researching her family and my Dad gave her a list of useful websites - I'll see if I can find it and post it on here...

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:18 pm

crystalball wrote:
humblebee wrote:So I've just discovered the name of my great-great-grandfather on my mum's side and that he was born in Nettleton, Lincolnshire in 1833. This is a little bit awesome, actually.
Aw, wow.

Both my grandfathers got into genealololology in the early 1990s. The most moving thing my paternal grandfather managed to discover a few months before he died was his uncle's papers from Ellis Island from when him and his family escaped to the States from Ayvalik in 1922, following the Greek-Turkish war. They had to change their name there and then because it was too long, so no-one knew what had happened to them and couldn't trace them - and they didn't know where everyone had ended up either. But after my grandad found those papers, we tracked them down on the interwebs and it turned out we had family in Chicago. That was pretty mind-blowing. The other things that I learnt in the early 1990s that left me kind of gobsmacked for a bit was that my great-grandparents were all born in different countries (Greece, Turkey, France and Germany) and that at least three of my mum's immediate family, going back to the 19th century, were train drivers. I think Indietracks needs to be renamed after me.
Also, you and String Bean Jen might be cousins.

Tomb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242

Post by Tomb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:09 am

My mum and Aunt are doing ours. I gave up because to be honest this kind of thing is best left to those who have retired! On my grandmothers side we descend from Buggs who came from Lincolnshire. When they moved to London they changed the name to Budd! Maybe they thought they would seem more classy! The great - great - grandfather who moved down (about 1830/40) was a sgt something or other at Woolwich Arsenal.

My mum went back to the village where they came from and found graves etc. She left a note in the Church and a long distance relative going back to the Buggs/Budds got in touch. That is amazing really.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:25 am

Char has done loads on her family and she put together huge folders as part of her Christmas present for her Mum and brother. It weird seeing all these old death cerificates arriving in the post....
not really here

a layer of chips
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by a layer of chips » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:32 am

humblebee wrote:Any of you do this? I've always fancied it but never had the time. But I've just had an email from one of my uncles and he's doing our family history. So I've just discovered the name of my great-great-grandfather on my mum's side and that he was born in Nettleton, Lincolnshire in 1833. This is a little bit awesome, actually.
Have you ever been to Nettleton?

I used to be a member of the Metcalfe Society (what?), but the membership fees were ridiculously pricey, so I let it lapse. But I found out a whole load of shite from that.

Also, when my Mum was clearing out my Grandad's hosue after he died, she found a one-sided million mark note from Germany. She found out that her great grandad (or was it her grandad? I forget) was a really well-known hangman and used to travel all around Europe KILLING PEOPLE.

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 am

im pretty sure someone did a family tree of my dads side a while ago, but it was more his dads side of the family, than looking closer at my dads mums side which is frankly fascinating. i know my dads dads side of the family were irish, and did things with boats, my great granddad was a coastguard i think. my dads mothers side were from poland, altho her father was morocan. when my dads mums family came over to england they had to change their name from rosenzweig to rosetwig.

i found out stuff about where my great grandparents were buried in israel by looking on a specific jewish genealagy website
i said OK! the wind said no

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:16 pm

humblebee wrote:
crystalball wrote: Both my grandfathers got into genealololology in the early 1990s. The most moving thing my paternal grandfather managed to discover a few months before he died was his uncle's papers from Ellis Island from when him and his family escaped to the States from Ayvalik in 1922, following the Greek-Turkish war. They had to change their name there and then because it was too long, so no-one knew what had happened to them and couldn't trace them - and they didn't know where everyone had ended up either. But after my grandad found those papers, we tracked them down on the interwebs and it turned out we had family in Chicago. That was pretty mind-blowing. The other things that I learnt in the early 1990s that left me kind of gobsmacked for a bit was that my great-grandparents were all born in different countries (Greece, Turkey, France and Germany) and that at least three of my mum's immediate family, going back to the 19th century, were train drivers. I think Indietracks needs to be renamed after me.
Also, you and String Bean Jen might be cousins.
When I first saw a picture of Marianthi I told her she looked quite a lot like my mom when she was younger!

My paternal grandparents did this (I don't know how; just that I have a sheet of paper with a bunch of names on it) and went back to something like my great-great-great grandparents. I loved seeing all the different very German names in it. I wish I knew how they went about finding this stuff out. Though it could be that they did it while some other elderlies were still alive and they went on memory? But they put stuff down like pre-marriage surnames. I would love to do this with my mom's side of the family because she's so mysterious but how do you research such records when they're in a different country and from a time when maybe such things (birth, marriage, death, job?) weren't recorded so well?
There's more than one use for every part

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:53 pm

String Bean Jen wrote:When I first saw a picture of Marianthi I told her she looked quite a lot like my mom when she was younger!
Heee!

I'm quite jealous of people like Marianthi who have ancestry from loads of different countries. Isn't that amazing, what she was saying about her family? My people have barely moved down the road in hundreds of years!

linus

Post by linus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:21 pm

my mum and dad have been researching their respective family trees and have used the national archives at kew, both visiting in person and researching via the internet: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ (for census returns, wills, military records, etc) and before it was closed the family records centre in islington (where you could trace census returns, wills, military records now through http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentc ... /index.htm ... apparently)

my dad was lucky as there were family bibles on his side of the family which had been handed down from generation to generation and contained (apparently this was quite traditional) family trees in the front... my mum's traced a lot of her side of the family by visiting places where she knew her family had lived and checking graveyards, churches, local records, etc (on one occassion- on a visit to the orkneys- visiting the by now abandoned schoolhouse her father was taught in and finding his name carefully carved into a desktop... the desk at the back of the class furthest from the teacher where she just knew he'd have sat)

they've also had some successes by joining some of these genealogy websites, like genes reunited, that have been fairly useful in exploring the various branches that snake off from family trees (not always useful though and some of these sites charge fees)

currently they've got back- with documented proof, if you will- to the early 1700's (scotland on my mum's side, birmingham on my dad's- his family barely moving out of the midlands for 250 years- via variously over the centuries: fulham, caithness, donegal, canada, lincolnshire, rutland, glasgow and corunna in spain), prior to that it's mostly guesswork as the evidence gets a bit sketchy and dead ends appear

I'm kind of glad they're doing all this groundwork for me and brother and sister- it's interesting (possibly only to us, but I suspect it's quite universal family to family and as is evidenced here) to consider where one has come from... for me it's this line of servants (so many servants) and farmers, crofters and woodturners and military men (the lower ranks, mostly) and labourers (plus an anvil maker, a blacksmith and a gun maker); the johns (so many johns), james', joes, annes (or anns or annies), elizas and elis...

what would they have made of me?

I think I can guess

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:44 pm

andy, they'd think you're awesome!

aw man, i wish i could do this. a lot of the official records of this stuff got burnt down during the um, "turbulent" times of the british raj. i don't think a lot of this stuff was super documented in the small villages (where my parents are from) anyway, most of it was just word of mouth. i do know some stuff from both sides of the family but it doesn't go that far back. i think i had a great great uncle who went to california for a while and did some railway building/manual labour back in the olden days. i'm pretty curious about my ancestry though because that bit of india was invaded so many times so there's a chance that i've got really mixed ancestry which would be pretty cool to narrow down.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:12 am

String Bean Jen wrote: how do you research such records when they're in a different country and from a time when maybe such things (birth, marriage, death, job?) weren't recorded so well?
Make it up.
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

annie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/andyandannie

Post by annie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:33 pm

fogofideas wrote:on one occassion- on a visit to the orkneys- visiting the by now abandoned schoolhouse her father was taught in and finding his name carefully carved into a desktop... the desk at the back of the class furthest from the teacher where she just knew he'd have sat
aww, that's made me all emotional.

on my dad's dad's side we have information going back to the 16th century, as in switzerland everyone is registered at the town hall where your surname originates from, rather than where you're born. i've been to the village once (fields and cows and not much more), about ten years ago, and it's pretty cool to think my name is written down there somewhere. everyone with the same surname, if you go back far enough, has family which originated either in benken or the neighbouring village. the family crest has a bear or a lion on it, i can't really tell which it is.

on my dad's mum's side we're kind of lost after my great great grandparents, as my great grandparents migrated from andalusia to france as children just before the spanish civil war and lost touch with most of their families as they never went back. my grandmother still remembers some cousins she met when she was little but that's about it. not much of a chance of finding anything out by going to spain either, as ramirez and lopez aren't exactly uncommon surnames. some day i want to go and visit the places my great grandparents were born, but i'd like to speak half decent spanish first. people lived in caves in my great grandfather's village, which sounds well ace. (well, the idea of it, maybe not that nice in practice.)

my mum's family have been in west flanders (belgium) for as long as people can remember, and her surname is one of the most common in that area. i'd like to have a go at finding out more about that side of the family, as it's probably the only one where i'd stand a chance of finding decent records. my great grandparents had about 8 siblings each though, as did their parents etc., so at that rate i'm probably related to half of the region!

i like this thread. my close family are a very small group, there's only 6 of us, and i'm an only child of only children. it can be scary to think i'll be on my own some day (though i'm hoping to have a family of my own by then). knowing more about my very extended family makes me feel vaguely connected to a lot more people out there. it's a nice feeling.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:56 pm

My uncle has done a bit on my Dad's side of the family and I think they were pretty much all crofters in the North end of the Isle of Skye. I guess that could be exciting if you were in the States or Australia, but not so much if you grew up on Skye surrounded by crofters! I'm sure there's a lot more to them than that, but we really only have names as it is.
Sometimes I find it hard to believe that just 2 generations back my Dad's father was born in 1900 though. That's pretty incredible to me!

David Mitchell was down in my part of the world for his 'Who Do You Think You Are' actually and I found a lot of that really interesting. If you were able to get that level on information on your relatives you couldn't help but be fascinated.

Final Loan

Post by Final Loan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:59 pm

annie wrote:the family crest has a bear or a lion on it, i can't really tell which it is.
Lion:Image
Bear:Image

Hope that helps.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
I may be ugly and hate-filled but... wait, what was the third thing you said?

Pockets Filled With Matches are no more, but we still have copies of our e.p. 'If Time Heals You' for sale, if you'd like one

annie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/andyandannie

Post by annie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:46 pm

bear lion hybrid (actually, it's probably a lion isn't it):
Attachments
crest.jpg
crest.jpg (21.99 KiB) Viewed 8372 times

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:20 pm

annie wrote:people lived in caves in my great grandfather's village, which sounds well ace. (well, the idea of it, maybe not that nice in practice.)
People used to live in caves in Mansfield until relatively recently. There was a man on our street who was friends with one of the last cave dwellers before he died. I used to play in them when I was a kid but I think a lot of them have collapsed now.

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:23 pm

tonieee wrote:
annie wrote:people lived in caves in my great grandfather's village, which sounds well ace. (well, the idea of it, maybe not that nice in practice.)
People used to live in caves in Mansfield until relatively recently. There was a man on our street who was friends with one of the last cave dwellers before he died. I used to play in them when I was a kid but I think a lot of them have collapsed now.
Give over!

Spoke to my mum last night. She doubts the reliability of my uncle's research. Hmmph. I'm gonna have to look at it for myself aren't I.