General Stuff People Want to Know

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
roundbitsofplastic

Re: General Stuff People Want to Know

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:28 pm

It's nothing to do w/ Indietracks, really.

The campsite hire the equipment and that's that. I sort of co-ordinated it last year and I still don't reall y'know what was going on.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Does anyone know what food vans will be there this year? I'm assuming Gopals and Carnival of Food will be returning. Its my first year as a coeliac gluten free type so just wondering whether to make contingency plans or just eat Gopals all weekend.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

Andy...

Post by Andy... » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:21 pm

RITH wrote:So are the campsite DJs chosen by the campsite?
Yes, that's right, the campsite organise the discos and book the DJs. We sometimes put potential DJs in touch with the campsite.

Andy...

Post by Andy... » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:31 pm

leon wrote:Does anyone know what food vans will be there this year? I'm assuming Gopals and Carnival of Food will be returning.
We'll have Gopals (vegan curry), wood-fired pizza, burritos, Carnival of Food (hot dogs etc) and Johnson's Buffet (canteen with veggie and vegan options). People can also bring their own food on site (but not alcohol).

Also, Johnson's will open for breakfast from 9am!

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Andy... wrote:
leon wrote:Does anyone know what food vans will be there this year? I'm assuming Gopals and Carnival of Food will be returning.
We'll have Gopals (vegan curry), wood-fired pizza, burritos, Carnival of Food (hot dogs etc) and Johnson's Buffet (canteen with veggie and vegan options). People can also bring their own food on site (but not alcohol).

Also, Johnson's will open for breakfast from 9am!
Nowhere to get a veggie burger that isn't Carnival Of Food. Sad face.

Pizza. Happy face.
not really here

Murray

Post by Murray » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Trev wrote:
Pizza. Happy face.
pizza.jpg
You're welcome.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Trev wrote:
Nowhere to get a veggie burger that isn't Carnival Of Food. Sad face.
Maybe Johnsons? Though probably not.

Next year I am encouraging lovely local newby caterers The Vegan Grindhouse to see if they can get a pitch.

I say "next year" but I mean I am encouraging them now to get a pitch next year.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Barto
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Bartolone

Post by Barto » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Andy... wrote:Johnson's will open for breakfast from 9am!
This is good news! I will try their breakfast for sure!

About burritos, is it the same of last year? Cause I remember it was good, but the one of two years ago was better.

Andy...

Post by Andy... » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:31 am

Yes, same burritos as last year - they're really good and very nice people. The ones from two years ago were great too, but haven't been available since.

linus

Post by linus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:55 am

how close do I need to stand near these woods where they'll be firing the pizzas from? what do they use... a cannon? street food gets crazier evey minute, I swear

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:37 pm

I assume it basically works frisbee style, but you'll want to allow for enough "air time" so that it doesn't burn your hands upon receipt.

linus

Post by linus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:44 pm

it sounds fraught with danger, have all the correct forms been filled in?

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:44 am

Looks like Midland Railway are using work fare slave labour. According to Twitter Team Indietracks are investigating but it's gutting if true, which appears to be the case according to this tweet

(I tried to embed the tweet but failed. Maybe someone cleverer than me can do it).

linus

Post by linus » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:07 am

I hope we get a statement soon, I don't think I could knowingly support an organisation that supports workfare (as I'm sure many here couldn't either) but then looking at the list of companies and charities on the boycottwarefare site I do already (admittedly unknowingly... until this morning):

http://www.boycottworkfare.org/?page_id=16

The number of charities using workfare is depressing, is there some sort of financial incentive for charities (beyond not paying for the labour of some poor sod whose been forced to work for you)?

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:13 am

It's very depressing. Maybe the charities involved do not realise that the people being sent to them are forced into it and that it's sold to them as volunteers looking for some work experience? Hopefully we'll get some clarification from Midland Railway soon.

Andy...

Post by Andy... » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:27 am

Hi, we (the Indietracks team) are in touch with the Midland Railway about this to try and find out the details. We only heard about this last night and were worried too.

The railway has confirmed that the Midland Railway does not have any workfare staff. All of the railway's volunteers are there voluntarily.

However, it looks like the railway rents out bits of its site to be used by external training companies that train and give work experience to a whole range of people. Some of this training and experience will be at the railway itself, and much of it is train-related qualifications and training. The external companies choose the people that they train, and the railway isn't involved in that decision. So we think the person that tweeted was being asked to report to the external company that has a base on the railway site, and not to the railway itself.

If people are worried about the site being used by these training companies, the railway are happy for you to email them to talk about it: info@midlandrailway-butterley.co.uk

linus

Post by linus » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks for clarifying, Andy... that's cleared that up for me, until I stop spending money in and supporting companies/organisations who directly support the workfare scheme (and, as I've discovered this morning, that's rather too many) it would be daft for me to be at all sniffy at the Midlands Railway over this

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:49 am

Yeah cheers Andy, that's good to know.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks Andy.

If anyone needs to know more about this issue in general, the Boycott Workfare site is excellent.

frankie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by frankie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:19 pm

It’s a serious issue, and as rotten as the concept of Workfare is - doesn’t part of you think that the guy doing the tweeting would be much happier in his life if he hung out at Butterley looking at trains, rather than sat on twitter pissing and moaning about how crap everything is?