Indiepop Christmas songs wanted for CD

popbands, poplabels, poprecords

Moderator: shaved head thrills

gareth go ape

Indiepop Christmas songs wanted for CD

Post by gareth go ape » Wed Sep 28, 2016 13:14

Hi there. I'm helping Rachael Neiman once again to compile the 11th volume of the Christmas compilation CD series called 'A Very Cherry Christmas'. Each year small indie label Cherryade Records releases a limited (around 200 copies) CD containing Indie, Alternative, Punk and unusual new Christmas tracks. Some of them are specially recorded, and some are existing recordings that artists are willing to let us use. Past volumes have included tracks by the Lovely Eggs, Allo Darlin, Los Campesinos!, Dressy Bessy, John Shuttleworth, etc.

We're looking for contributions to this year's CD. It can be an original song or an interesting cover version of a Christmas classic. And if you hate Christmas, anti-Christmas songs are welcome too! We unfortunately do not pay any royalties, but the CD doesn't really make any profit. By the time we've sent copies to every band, sent out review copies, etc. the rest of the stock sold by mail order just about breaks even, or even runs at a small loss!

We also don't have the budget to contribute to recording costs, but home recordings are fine if you don't want to splash out on a recording studio! And because we're not paying you, then obviously the copyright of your song remains with you and you're entitled to use it on your bandcamp if you wish, but we would appreciate it being exclusive to our CD in physical form.

We'll send you a copy of the finished CD of course, and we'll print songwriting credits and one website address of your choice on the back of the sleeve (your official website address, or facebook, or bandcamp, etc., whichever you prefer. Alas, we don't have room to print them all!)

You can see volume 10 from 2014 (we took a break from it last year!) at http://cherryaderecords.blogspot.co.uk/ ... d-not.html

If you're up for it, or know a band or singer who might be, then please get in touch. We need MP3s by the start of November. My email is garethgoape at yahoo dot co dot uk

Merry Christmas! x

johnkell
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/johnkell

Re: Indiepop Christmas songs wanted for CD

Post by johnkell » Sun Oct 02, 2016 08:02

Really pleased there will be another CD this year! :)

Could I ask a question about a past one? Who are / were Radio Orwell who did the cover of Last Christmas in 2013? I absolutely loved it, but couldn't find them online anywhere - have the same people / person done anything else?

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:35

I've got a new Christmas song in the pipeline! Not convinced I'll get it down in time, but you can have it if I do. Otherwise, have it for next year's. It'll be here before you know it.

gareth go ape

Post by gareth go ape » Tue Nov 15, 2016 15:20

Sorry, didn't notice anyone had responded to this post until now! johnkell I don't know the answer myself, I've only been involved in helping compile the CD since vol.9. I'll ask Rachael later!

I've received a heap of tracks. We'll have about 25 I think! Many thanks to everyone who emailed or bands I approached that agreed to take part. We have a very big exclusive. I won't tell you yet, but there's a brand new Xmas track for the CD recorded by a much-loved Indiepop band. Ooh, the suspense!...

gareth go ape

Post by gareth go ape » Tue Nov 15, 2016 15:23

Oh, hang on, 2013? I WAS involved with the CD that year!! I still don't know the answer though!! D'oh!!

johnkell

Post by johnkell » Tue Nov 15, 2016 17:10

Excellent, thanks - I'd love to know!

gareth go ape

Post by gareth go ape » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:14

Reply from Rachael: "As far as I remember Radio Orwell were a side project of two former members of Help Stamp Out Loneliness, I've not heard anything else by them so I think the project was short-lived."

johnkell

Post by johnkell » Thu Nov 17, 2016 18:04

gareth go ape wrote:Reply from Rachael: "As far as I remember Radio Orwell were a side project of two former members of Help Stamp Out Loneliness, I've not heard anything else by them so I think the project was short-lived."
Thanks Gareth, and by extension Rachael. HSOL were great so I'm not surprised there's a connection between them and such a fantastic-sounding cover. Shame it didn't yield anything else, but that's how it goes sometimes I guess!

gareth go ape

Post by gareth go ape » Fri Nov 18, 2016 09:28

Vol. 11 full tracklisting and pre-order link should be up later today hopefully, if not over the weekend. It's a stocking full of modern Christmas classics, I can assure you!