A thread about putting on DIY gigs

DIY clubs, gigs, fun
crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Re: A thread about putting on DIY gigs

Post by crystalball » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:47

alongwaltz wrote:I've had friends who survey everyone who pays at the door as to which band they came for and divvy up the payments accordingly. So if Band X wants all their friends and family to come in for free that would be reflected in how little they make at the end of the night compared to Band Y.
But doesn't that put bands from out of town in an impossible situation, unless they're pretty famous? They won't know many people so they don't get paid as much as a local band... hmm. I think it's dodgy ground for many reasons.

I'm about to start putting gigs on again and all this is only slightly making me not want to. :)

indiehorse
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by indiehorse » Wed Feb 05, 2014 13:22

Yeah, I'm off the opinion that asking people who they're there to see is stooooopid. I find it annoying as a punter (apparently "I'm here to see all the bands" isn't a valid answer).

And as a promoter, I feel like I should have a rough idea of how many people a particular band is going to bring beforehand, and if people are there specifically for one band it should be pretty obvious through observing the crowd.

I don't think paying bands proportionally to the number of people that are there to see them as cool.
crystalball wrote:I'm about to start putting gigs on again and all this is only slightly making me not want to. :)
Hurrah! Despite any grumbles people might make in this thread, they still keep doing their thing because they know that putting on bands is the most fun.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 05, 2014 13:25

crystalball wrote: I'm about to start putting gigs on again
This is good news.
not really here

alongwaltz
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/

Post by alongwaltz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 14:23

crystalball wrote:
alongwaltz wrote:I've had friends who survey everyone who pays at the door as to which band they came for and divvy up the payments accordingly. So if Band X wants all their friends and family to come in for free that would be reflected in how little they make at the end of the night compared to Band Y.
But doesn't that put bands from out of town in an impossible situation, unless they're pretty famous? They won't know many people so they don't get paid as much as a local band... hmm. I think it's dodgy ground for many reasons.
I think they take that into account but yeah, it's nothing I'd ever do myself. I've had a local band bring out 50 people for one show and 2 people for another. Any promoter should be aware that attendance is highly unpredictable and respond accordingly.

linus

Post by linus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 14:56

I do think that if a band rocks up and pushes for five people, let's say, to get in free then you should be able to renegotiate what you're paying them... one or two people is different, especially if one of them is the driver... but three or more is eating into what you make on the door which then knocks on how much you pay all the bands (because the venue hire, soundman, is presumably non-negotiable) and I don't see why the other bands should lose out because your pals can't be arsed to pay to see your band play

having put on far too many gigs where it was dependent on how many people paid in, the guest list thing- especially when it's a 'surprise' on the night- is just more aggravation

I've pretty much knocked any ambitions to promote gigs on the head, which is a shame, and it hurts because it was something I always thought I wanted to do... unless I can pay all the bands/venue/soundman, etc out of my own pocket in the eventuality that nobody turns up (and I can't) then it's too much of an arseache to take on

I think I had fun once doing it, but I couldn't say off the top of my head when

(our alldayer's alright because it's a shared arseache and an arseache shared is an arseache halved or thirded or fourthted)

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 19:04

a fog of ideas wrote:I do think that if a band rocks up and pushes for five people, let's say, to get in free then you should be able to renegotiate what you're paying them... one or two people is different, especially if one of them is the driver... but three or more is eating into what you make on the door which then knocks on how much you pay all the bands (because the venue hire, soundman, is presumably non-negotiable) and I don't see why the other bands should lose out because your pals can't be arsed to pay to see your band play

having put on far too many gigs where it was dependent on how many people paid in, the guest list thing- especially when it's a 'surprise' on the night- is just more aggravation

I've pretty much knocked any ambitions to promote gigs on the head, which is a shame, and it hurts because it was something I always thought I wanted to do... unless I can pay all the bands/venue/soundman, etc out of my own pocket in the eventuality that nobody turns up (and I can't) then it's too much of an arseache to take on

I think I had fun once doing it, but I couldn't say off the top of my head when

(our alldayer's alright because it's a shared arseache and an arseache shared is an arseache halved or thirded or fourthted)
I could never do this if there wasn't a whole bunch of us helping out! Sharing the load definitely helps. It is mostly more than worthwhile too, I suppose you're just likely to come on here when you have something to moan about rather than when all the little good things happen.

I'm off work for 4 days now. I hope it feels something like a holiday even with 15 bands to put on!

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Mon Feb 10, 2014 16:52

Guess who had one of their guest places not even turn up after all that?! Never mind that though - they were the only band out of 15 that even asked for a guarantee. Other responses when I was giving folk money ranged from "are you sure you don't want to give it to the touring bands?" to "are you serious?" (as in "you want to pay us for playing our songs?!" rather than "is that all you're giving us"). The couple of band members who came along on the day they weren't playing and that we offered to let in for free also insisted on paying. We have it good for the most part1

a layer of chips
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by a layer of chips » Mon Feb 10, 2014 17:02

I think I know who you've been talking about, Chris...

Glad it went well!

sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Post by sweepingthenation » Thu May 08, 2014 07:56

MOAN ALERT - PLEASE TREAD CAREFULLY

This is a non-London and frankly self-regarding thing but I'm having real trouble these days putting on a proper gig*, the way things are going. For the last three years or so every night I've promoted, indiepop or otherwise, has been through a go-between of some sort, whether direct band approach or booking agent seeking availability, but because my promoting hasn't been as prolific as it once was nobody bothers with small scale part-timers like me any more and you only tend to get bands who could headline a 100-140 capacity venue coming round this way if they're touring, and anyway most of those go to Nottingham instead. That was never the case just three or four years ago, which I'd guess is financially driven but puts nascent DIY promoters (well, I've been doing it for nearly six years, but without Alldayers I've done about twelve in that time) out of the popular general touring route at a bind.

* Aside from the Alldayer, which is a special established event so doesn't really count in the same way. As a kind of reaction I'm grasping slowly towards doing a Non-Indiepop Alldayer some time in late summer/early autumn but have already been stymied having been tipped off that a friend had tried to put my potential headliners on in the intended venue (not Firebug) before and been told not to as the booker disliked them. (I'm also trying to book an Indietracks warm-up at the moment but all three of my preferred rooms are booked for Edinburgh previews on the preceding Wednesday and Thursday and for given reasons I have no clue who's willing to do dates around those days)

joanny
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/discobloguons

Post by joanny » Fri Jun 13, 2014 18:16

The nice things when your usual venue got new owners : whereas your next gig is booked for months, you suddenly learn that there won't be catering for bands and that you might get less money to cover their costs. So we'll soon be officially indiepop cooks. I hope I'll improve quickly or no one will play for us EVER.

Yex
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/yex

Post by Yex » Tue Jun 17, 2014 05:26

What are some good ideas for unconventional venues (besides houses, et cetera). I'm planning a show in my hometown in California but it's in the middle of suburbia and pickings are slim. The only house I could do it at is my parents' house and I have an irrational concern that it won't feel like a 'real' show there. I tried a local tearoom and a got a 'no'. I thought of doing it at the library but it is literally impossible to contact them (their electronic phone menu is broken and they have no email). My options right now are looking like the community center - eh - and the Chumash Native American museum. In either event I'd probably have to pay for the space. In the old days the indie folks of my town held 'nature shows' - free shows at parks and such - but then I wouldn't have amplification which is a major con for some of the bands involved. Thoughts? I'm really new to this sort of thing.
humblebee wrote:Yex, what's that siren? Quick, hide! I think it's the Eleven Music Distraction Police. They've been alerted to your outrageous crimes against the definition of a country!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Jun 17, 2014 17:50

Last edited by roundbitsofplastic on Tue Jun 17, 2014 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Jun 17, 2014 17:50

Are there any places that aren't usually open when you want to do yout gig? Like cafes or eve restaurants that are closed on that day or only open at a certain time? Cos you could maybe do an evening thing in a place that is usually closed or a matinee in a place that opens later.

The only time I have ever put on a band within 10 miles of my parents' place as been AT my parents' place.

EDIT

Schools/gyms???

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Wed Jun 18, 2014 09:50

How about an independent record shop or clothes shop, if there's one in the area? I've played in both and it was quite fun!

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:52

humblebee wrote:How about an independent record shop or clothes shop, if there's one in the area? I've played in both and it was quite fun!
I saw both and can verify the funness!

Yex
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/yex

Post by Yex » Thu Jun 19, 2014 06:10

Mmmm, I know of only one record shop in the town in question, and it is tiny. I don't think independent clothing shops even exist in the area. This is literally where they filmed Weeds, if that gives you a sense of the level of suburban dullness at hand here.

I finally managed to get through to the library, but and they charge $100 an hour for their space. :/

My parents' backyard is looking more appealing by the moment.

Edit: Oh, I also was recommended by multiple people an actual concert space at a guitar shop in a town about 20 minutes away. I discovered that they have a policy that each band must presell 20 tickets at $8 a pop in order to play a 30 minute set. They were kind enough to knock it down to 15 tickets each because of the number of bands (5), so that's only 600 dollars I'd have to shell out... I think not.
humblebee wrote:Yex, what's that siren? Quick, hide! I think it's the Eleven Music Distraction Police. They've been alerted to your outrageous crimes against the definition of a country!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:29

I have no idea what Weeds is, but house shows are way fun. Venues are just arses who get in the way. We don't need them a lot of the time, and they don;t want us most of the time (but they'll take any money they can get). Fuck 'em. house show!

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon Apr 27, 2015 22:05

Has anyone had much experience with dealing with your actual, proper, vaguely terrifying booking agents?

There's a band I quite want to book for my prospective Indietracks warm up, but they have an agent. If I approach them, should I let them know that I'm a DIY promoter or should I try and act all professional like?

My problem with the former is I feel I'm likely to be told to fuck right off and my problem with the latter is that they'll see through my facade to the shambling sham that I am then tell me to fuck right off.

Even if I'm not told to fuck right off said band having a booking agent means they'll cost squillions of pounds right?

Talk me out of this Anorak.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 27, 2015 23:57

Dan Pop-o-matic wrote:Has anyone had much experience with dealing with your actual, proper, vaguely terrifying booking agents?

There's a band I quite want to book for my prospective Indietracks warm up, but they have an agent. If I approach them, should I let them know that I'm a DIY promoter or should I try and act all professional like?

My problem with the former is I feel I'm likely to be told to fuck right off and my problem with the latter is that they'll see through my facade to the shambling sham that I am then tell me to fuck right off.

Even if I'm not told to fuck right off said band having a booking agent means they'll cost squillions of pounds right?

Talk me out of this Anorak.
My advice:

Just go in and make an offer. They can say yes or no. And then if they say yes find out what hidden extra's they might want (hotel, rider, food etc) and see whether it still works for you. If it does go for it, if not, don't!
not really here

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Apr 28, 2015 08:53

Cheers Trev.

It's only Tuff Love. They can't be THAT expensive surely?