Mass voting demanded now! Choose 1 of 10 magazine names.

DIY clubs, gigs, fun

What do you think the DIY/indiepop magazine should be called?

Anorak Pop
No votes
Dreamabout
No votes
Heavenly Pop
5%
Hidden Track
33%
Pop! Look & Listen
No votes
Pop, etc.
3%
Rock and/or Roll
5%
Signal Box
15%
Target Practice
10%
What We Do Is Secret
28%

Total votes: 39

linus

Re: What should our magazine be called? Suggestions until Au

Post by linus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21

'Total Musics'?

I was trying to think of magazines that have really really good titles and I think 'Kerrang' might be one of my favourites

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26

I think 'Little White Lies' is quite a good magazine title, even though it's not immediately obvious what the magazine is about (films).

Maybe we should go back in time and steal that before they got a chance to use it.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30

I'm considering continuing Candy Twist. I don't think I'll contribute a lot of writing (if any) to the magazine, so I may want to keep an outlet for myself.

Hidden Track
Secret Song
Heavenly Pop

All of these are horrible a few seconds after I think of them. Hopefully they'll inspire something better.

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:32

'Little White Lies', 'Careless Talk Costs Lives'... both gave me a polite but firm 'no' when I attempted to launch my illustrating career... I'm strongly anticipating RITH's rejection email in the next few weeks

'Totes Amaze-Musics'?

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:41

I quite like Hidden Track (or Secret Track).

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53

tompony wrote:I quite like Hidden Track (or Secret Track).
Oooh, that's good. Yes.

I've only thought of Such Great Heights so far...

Murray

Post by Murray » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:57

I liked Bent Halo, but there's already a website called that. Gah!

I briefly thought of Sunny Daze too, but that's waaaaay too 90's baggy. And shit.

(The) Chiming Times
Or something good maybe.
How about Something Good?

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Fri Jul 27, 2012 13:59

I've always liked Do Something Pretty but I expect there are 712 blogs called that already.

a layer of chips
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by a layer of chips » Fri Jul 27, 2012 14:03

There used to be a fanzine called that. It was ace. You DJed at a gig I put on with them!

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 14:17

Is the magazine about indiepop and other pop we like things or is it broader than that? I'm still not sure what it's about or why I might want to buy it- the name thing doesn't seem (to me) to be making that anymore clear

RITH

Post by RITH » Fri Jul 27, 2012 14:21

The magazine is about DIY pop. To me that also includes the culture surrounding it: labels, venues, printers, distributors et cetera but the main focus will be directly on the pop music.

Why you'll want to buy it is because it's going to be fantastic.

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 14:41

But it is specifically pop or an interpretation of pop from an independent DIY perspective? Not that that should be the tagline- is pop an objective or subjective thing? Are we going to be very pure about it? I was listening to the Oblivians at lunchtime and they write and play some super catchy songs however there's nothing very pretty about it- except perhaps the way I shake when I'm listening to them- would they be a band that would fit or nope?

RITH

Post by RITH » Fri Jul 27, 2012 14:52

An interpretation of pop from an independent DIY perspective. Of course pop is a very subjective thing, and no, we're not going to be strict about it. It's a bit like the 'indiepop' and 'not indiepop' thing on here, but much broader even. I want to go by a feeling, and not be too strict about genre contraints or definitions. We can always discuss per case if we feel a band suits the magazine or not.

I'd say, for example, Withered Hand, The Maxines and Skinny Girl Diet all fit the bill while they're probably not indiepop.

Also:
Candy Twist #1 wrote:End of discussion
by Dennis Greeuw

The fanzine you’re reading is about a lot of things, but the underlying spirit is without any doubt this thing we call indiepop.

We can't resist trying to define indiepop. Every now and then, in conversation or on the overwhelmingly big internet, someone will ask the question that doesn't really seem to have an answer: "This indiepop thing you keep going on about,” a newcomer will say, “What exactly is it?" We, the people who for some reason or another assume responsibility for answering that question always find ourselves ending up with a list of things that are part of the indiepop experience, but not necessarily with a definition of indiepop itself. Then we shuffle our feet a bit, shrug, and go on with enjoying ourselves with other, possibly more important things, leaving the newcomer behind bemused and somewhat amused.

Let's use a dictionary:

Indiepop music (indipop myoo-zik)

indie
noun
1. one that is independent
adjective
2. something produced by an indie

pop
adjective
1. of or pertaining to popular songs
2. reflecting or aimed at the tastes of the general masses of people

music
noun
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and colour.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.

Yes. So what we're talking about here is "...an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and colour, reflecting or aimed at the tastes of the general masses of people and produced by one that is independent." I have this strange nagging feeling that I won't be able to remember this. What's more important, I have a nagging feeling that I'm missing the point by quite a bit. Even Pitchfork knows it: "Indiepop is not just 'indie' that is 'pop'".

When mainstream press discusses indiepop it's often in a, probably even unintended, condescending tone: "We actually like this music a bit, but it's not to be taken too seriously; it's just indiepop." Then the writer mixes in some words like 'cardigan', 'wallflower', 'twee', 'shambling' and 'Hello Kitty' to make sure the reader knows what they're on about. To outsiders it's apparently quite easy to label indiepop and keep it in one corner. I think this is the trigger for us, the people who feel passionately about what WE call indiepop, to defend ourselves, to point out how wrong 'they' are.

We can tell for most music if it's indiepop or not. Especially if it's not. Still, once we start trying to define indiepop, it's hardly ever about the sound of it. We talk about a movement. We talk about the importance of shared DIY-values. We talk about the charming realness of not worrying too much about perfect production and about being unembarrassed about mistakes, or about anything really. We talk about making music for the love of it, not with the aim to make money. We talk about taking things in our own hands, about regaining control from the mainstream. We mention the importance of active participation, encouragement and an inclusive community. We say we are not ashamed to be seen as uncool. We talk about passion a lot.

We notice the confusion growing in the newcomer's eyes again, and we stop ourselves. We do tend to go on a bit, us indiepop lovers, and our newcomer has been very polite about it all. It's not boring; it just doesn't answer his question: what is indiepop? Which to him means: what does it sound like?

We start saying something about jangly guitars, but while doing so we remember all the wonderful electronic indiepop bands we know. We try to explain how indiepop is punk's quiet and friendly cousin, but before the end of the sentence we think about The Manhattan Love Suicides, or about Veronica Falls.

We give up. Instead of further trying to explain something that's more easily possible to capture in an idea than in a sound, we make them a mix tape, invite them to a pop show, or, if they're not too important to us, we lazily point them in the direction of early Belle & Sebastian, The Smiths and the C86 tape.

Let me take a little sidestep here, and quote something I wrote on my blog in 2009:

"To be honest, a big part of the joy of music is the experience of discovery, of digging in that mine yourself. To get ridiculously excited when you find that diamond. To have that little secret, that knowledge about something so beautiful that no one else you know knows about."

And suddenly it clicked with me: excitement. Happiness. Indiepop is the sound of real happiness.

For me, the one big underlying common factor in all the music that I love is warmth. It may be pretty useless as a definition for a genre, but you’ll understand what I mean: real music, made with real passion, by real people, for the sake of sharing what they love. It’s that subtle but very obvious difference between manufactured products and inspired, passionate songs. Even our newcomer will understand. Both can have enjoyable results, but only the latter can really warm our heart. Music born out of love has the added advantage that it brings people together in ways that changes lives for the better. It gives us something to share, to look forward to, to cherish, and to look back on with fond and happy memories. It’s the soundtrack to the greatest friendships. Indiepop music brought me a family, in the most literal sense possible.

Every pure pop song can be indiepop. It's more a decision than a fact. If it touches your heart and as a result it makes you happy (even if it’s a sad song): indiepop. Don’t worry about indie snobs and don’t worry about mainstream press. We don't need to explain ourselves. We don't need to defend ourselves. Our smiles will tell all there is to know. Our energy will tell the truth.

Our newcomer may still be puzzled, but if you look deep into his eyes, you can see a curious light starting to glow. Nothing is more contagious than happiness, and we've found the secret formula.

Who doesn't want to be happy?
(Sorry)

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Fri Jul 27, 2012 15:01

a layer of chips wrote:There used to be a fanzine called that. It was ace. You DJed at a gig I put on with them!
Ah, OK.

I wrote a song this morning. It was 'Legal Man' by Belle & Sebastian.

knibbles

Post by knibbles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 16:54

I think it should have the word pop in it.

Short with the word pop in it.

Can't think any further than that. Poptacular. Poppet. DIY Pop. Pop it Yourself. Top of our Pops. Belly Pop. Anorak Pop. This is Pop. Our Pop. Your Pop. Their Pop, I'm just going through french verbs alterations now. All my suggestions are terrible, but I think it would be nice if the title explained what it was a bit, I dunno, might be wrong. I never get those song references, but maybe just me. I like Anorak Pop the most out of my list of rubbish.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

Murray

Post by Murray » Fri Jul 27, 2012 17:06

knibbles wrote:I think it should have the word pop in it.

I like Anorak Pop the most out of my list.
Me too. Or Ace Pop.

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Fri Jul 27, 2012 17:12

Feral Pop (Frenzy)

Surely someone's already done that?

linus

Post by linus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 17:56

knibbles wrote:I think it should have the word pop in it.

Can't think any further than that. Poptacular. Poppet. DIY Pop. Pop it Yourself. Top of our Pops. Belly Pop. Anorak Pop. This is Pop. Our Pop. Your Pop. Their Pop, I'm just going through french verbs alterations now. All my suggestions are terrible, but I think it would be nice if the title explained what it was a bit, I dunno, might be wrong. I never get those song references, but maybe just me. I like Anorak Pop the most out of my list of rubbish.
My worse suggestions:

Pop Off; Pop, Other; Pop (Other); Pop, etc; Flat Pack Pop; Council Pop; Pop Frenzy; Pop Pals; Pop-u-like; The Pop Revolts; The Pop Rivets; Pop O'Clock; Austerity Pop; Budget Pop; Vacant Pop; Populist; That's Enough Pop For Wow

bulgariandisco

Post by bulgariandisco » Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:26

This Almighty Pop? Ahem.

I like 'What We Do Is Secret'. It's understated and just a little bit sexy. It also captures how I feel about this indiepop thing; I don't expect other people to understand it. It's not that it's elitist or cliquey, just modest.

[as if I understand half of the nonsense you lot bang on about...]

Outcognito

Post by Outcognito » Fri Jul 27, 2012 20:36

bulgariandisco wrote: I like 'What We Do Is Secret'. It's understated and just a little bit sexy. It also captures how I feel about this indiepop thing; I don't expect other people to understand it. It's not that it's elitist or cliquey, just modest.
I'm really taken with it - maybe with a short one liner underneath a la When Saturday Comes and the half decent football magazine line, just to give an indication of what it's all about....something along the lines of "pop, diy culture and.."
It's so easy when the door is wide open.