What's everyone take on that Hip Hop rubbish?

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

malaise

Re: What's everyone take on that Hip Hop rubbish?

Post by malaise » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:11 am

If anyone cares:

The new CANNIBAL OX joint is "alright" but there's hardly any Vordul on it and the production doesn't strike me as being as innovative. I want to judge it on its own merits but it's hard not to compare it to The Cold Vein when they reference it repeatedly. It might could grow on me though.

Tangentially related, there was a bunch of new ATOMS FAMILY stuff released in the past year that I just now became aware of:

ALASKA - Alk Kast (Alaska spits over Outkast beats)
ATOMS - Sands (Alaska, Windnbreeze, Cryptic One
CRYPTIC ONE - Truth Whole Truth Half Truth and Lies.

I haven't really digested these yet, but I think Alaska, Windnbreeze, and Cryptic are some of the best of all time.

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:26 pm

That new Kendrick Lamar album is nuts but brilliant. P-funk samples, jazz, spoken word interludes, glitchy electro beats, a lack of massive choruses. Loving it.

Yex
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/yex

Post by Yex » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:52 pm

humblebee wrote:Yex, what's that siren? Quick, hide! I think it's the Eleven Music Distraction Police. They've been alerted to your outrageous crimes against the definition of a country!

MattH

Post by MattH » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Introducing The Age Of Luna...

Really interesting British rap crew doing something soulful. For fans of A Tribe Called Quest / Pro Era / Erykah Badu.
Take Buddha. Take Hope. Take That.

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:51 am

The new Tyler, The Creator album is pretty good. Seems to have mostly dropped the misogyny and homophobia and just started making decent pop songs (Fucking Young is lovely).

MattH

Post by MattH » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:53 am

Can't get enough of this Ramriddlz track...

It features some reverb-heavy guitar for all us indiepop kids as well as some pretty nasty innuendo for all us misogynists. If you overlook the lyrics then you'll find something quite special.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Seeing as this is up top: where classical scholarship meets Flav...

I never knew that about the piano playing.

This Is Helena

Post by This Is Helena » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:34 pm

While we're talking about Public Enemy (and I'm sure you all know this already) I quite like the fact that they sampled this song by Shirley Bassey:

be popular play pop

malaise

Post by malaise » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:53 pm

I don't think he's classically trained. It's cool he can bang out some chords or whatever, but it's not that great.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:05 pm

malaise wrote:I don't think he's classically trained. It's cool he can bang out some chords or whatever, but it's not that great.
Yeah, it didn't sound right. My understanding is that he's a bit of a musical jack of all trades and can turn his hand to most things but never really applied himself. I had a scout about though and he's not bad.

MattH

Post by MattH » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:13 am

Yet more greatness from Pro Era. This time from Kirk Knight. He's just about to release his debut album "Late Knight Special". Here's a touching track about the loss of loved ones...

MattH

Post by MattH » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:06 pm

Couldn't resist giving this thread another bump with a bit of Jonwayne...

ShaunBrilldream
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by ShaunBrilldream » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:53 pm

This Is Helena wrote:While we're talking about Public Enemy (and I'm sure you all know this already) I quite like the fact that they sampled this song by Shirley Bassey:

Both records are proper tuuuuuuune.
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes and to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:38 pm

I was all set to hate the newish Kanye album (last one was a bit shit, singles haven't been up to much), in fact put it on for about ten minutes when in came out and seriously despised it, but I'm really coming round to 'The Life of Pablo' now. All the gospel-type songs comes off surprisingly well and it does a lot better with the more gloomy and intense stuff than "Yeezus", where it all felt rather self indulgent and boring.

I can't make up my mind whether all the tabloid stuff (which you inevitably get pulled into if you listen to him I think, however much you try and avoid it) detracts from his music or just adds another layer of drama to the whole thing. He seems to be becoming a little bit postmodern, leaving stuff in the songs that he knows will trigger controversy, then commenting on the whole idea of the media image that's created around him and how he responds to that image, etc. On the other hand, just when it feels like he's a lot more self aware than he's given credit for, he'll say something really appallingly crass and then all of a sudden it doesn't (aside from the Taylor Swift stuff, the babyish and hypocritical rant about Nike is a particular low point).

The "bitch" quotient does remain pretty high (a bit like complaining about the weather at this point, though it does make me wince still), but at least he doesn't get his nob out so much on this one - I always feel a bit, 'put it away Kanye, people are watching'.

I wonder if this is the endorsement he's been waiting for all year.

Yex

Post by Yex » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Andyi, I found that last post so entertaining that I felt compelled to read it aloud to my wife.
humblebee wrote:Yex, what's that siren? Quick, hide! I think it's the Eleven Music Distraction Police. They've been alerted to your outrageous crimes against the definition of a country!

Yex

Post by Yex » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:09 pm

I'm putting this here, because it's hip hop-related, but it could also easily go in the "best things ever" thread:

Linaje Originarios is a hip hop duo from Colombia consisting of two cousins who belong to the indigenous Emberá ethnic group. There are about 80,000 Emberá people living in Colombia and Panama. They rap in the Emberá language, considered an endangered language, about social issues, including "nature, environment and the violence and discrimination surrounding [their people]".

Here's one of their songs. I rather like it, although I obviously can't understand what they're rapping about. It samples El Cóndor Pasa, which is cool. The music video is pretty great, too.

MattH

Post by MattH » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:48 am

Donald Glover back at it again. This guy is a real talent...

MattH

Post by MattH » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:37 pm

This new Joey Bada$$ tune is a good'un...

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:57 am

Can't stop listening to "Bad and Boujee" by Migos ft. Lil Uzi Vert. Send assistance.

Also loving "Black Beatles" by Rae Sremmurd ft. Gucci Mane because I only cotton on to massively popular hip hop tunes months after everyone else.