The Pastels

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

noLooking

Re: The Pastels

Post by noLooking » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:57 am

tonieee wrote:Well, I think they're all great but maybe Mobile Safari is closest followed by Two Sunsets and Illumination. Slow Summits is the best by far though, at least in my opinion. Which is the one you've got?
"Sittin' Pretty", it's something I pinched off of the internet because it was expensive enough for me to not feel guilty about not buying it. I know it's not considered their best, but it just feels like a completely different band (which I can understand, I mean does anyone think the same things that they did twenty five years ago?) and I'm not that much of an '80s indiepop fan, apart from a few screamingly wonderful exceptions. Anyway, I'll check 'Mobile Safari' out at some point, cheers tonieee!

I got genuinely annoyed in November just gone, because it didn't really freeze properly and so I couldn't kick leaves in November freeze. Yeah, it's come to that.

Is it just us here then? Let's run in the corridors whilst no-one's looking.

User avatar
tonieee
Posts: 4471
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:40 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee
Location: Sheffield Sex City
Contact:

Re: The Pastels

Post by tonieee » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:19 am

andyiong wrote:
tonieee wrote:Well, I think they're all great but maybe Mobile Safari is closest followed by Two Sunsets and Illumination. Slow Summits is the best by far though, at least in my opinion. Which is the one you've got?
"Sittin' Pretty", it's something I pinched off of the internet because it was expensive enough for me to not feel guilty about not buying it. I know it's not considered their best, but it just feels like a completely different band (which I can understand, I mean does anyone think the same things that they did twenty five years ago?) and I'm not that much of an '80s indiepop fan, apart from a few screamingly wonderful exceptions.
Sittin' Pretty is not considered one of their best? It's one of my favourites and I know loads of people who love it. But it is pretty much a different band. After Sittin' Pretty most of the original lineup left, leaving just Stephen and Aggi plus the addition of Katrina and if you're not a big fan of 80s indiepop then I can understand why you'd not be keen.
andyiong wrote:Anyway, I'll check 'Mobile Safari' out at some point, cheers tonieee!
I hope you like it. It is a fantastic album.
andyiong wrote:Is it just us here then?
Seems so :D

noLooking

Re: The Pastels

Post by noLooking » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:38 am

I notice you make no comment about running in the corridors. Your clearly just not as subversive as I am, tonieee *sigh*

User avatar
tonieee
Posts: 4471
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:40 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee
Location: Sheffield Sex City
Contact:

Re: The Pastels

Post by tonieee » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:39 am

andyiong wrote:I notice you make no comment about running in the corridors. Your clearly just not as subversive as I am, tonieee *sigh*
No, I'm an instrument of the state.

User avatar
tonieee
Posts: 4471
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:40 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee
Location: Sheffield Sex City
Contact:

Re: The Pastels

Post by tonieee » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:40 am

Well I appear to be having a bit of a Pastels morning: Mobile Safari and now lots of singles. Their cover of Love It's Getting Better is just one of the most beautiful songs ever - it's one of the songs we picked for our wedding ceremony.

User avatar
tonieee
Posts: 4471
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:40 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee
Location: Sheffield Sex City
Contact:

Re: The Pastels

Post by tonieee » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:40 am

Their cover of Guiding Star too.

noLooking

Re: The Pastels

Post by noLooking » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:03 am

tonieee wrote: Their cover of Love It's Getting Better is just one of the most beautiful songs ever - it's one of the songs we picked for our wedding ceremony.
Aw!

I was just listening to 'Mobile Safari' on a stream and it's really great. Cheers tonieee.

I did have an idea I was going to spend less on records this year. Ah well, fuck that then.

noLooking

Re: The Pastels

Post by noLooking » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Ultra-Blairite John Mcternan keeps retweeting early pictures of The Pastels. I'm feeling a bit bad continuing to like them.

noLooking

Re: The Pastels

Post by noLooking » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:08 pm

The Graun continue being all Scottish Pop:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicb ... usic-scene

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests