The Pastels

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

linus

The Pastels

Post by linus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Do we not have a Pastels thread already? I couldn't find it

Regardless... a thread for The Pastels, a band often jostling shambolically for a place in my top three bands I love utterly of all time list

It's been something like 27 years that Stephen and assorted line-ups have been making music... I've been listening to them since 1985 when Zigzag magazine refered to them as 'The (Sex) Pastels' and a photo of Stephen in leather trousers and an anorak convinced me they may be onto something (although I pointedly ignored everything else ZigZag wrote about: The Danse Society; Sex Gang Children and Bone Orchard, for example)

'Truck Train Tractor' sealed the deal but then 'Breaking Lines' was what made me swear I'd love them always

I've just started (and it really is a tiny gesture at present) a Flickr group to collect all kinds of Pastels ephemera from your Friend of the Pastels membership card to fliers and fanzines, live photos and Aggi's beautiful singular artwork

If you'd like to participate, I'd love you forever:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/pastelism_123/

Whatever happened to their new LP and the Tenniscoats collaboration?

Stephen Pastel (Bearsden's very own Barry White) is my Stephen Patrick Must-we-go-on?

I was too young to embrace Orange Juice and Postcard as fervently as I would have liked (and later did in retrospect) and The Pastels were right there when I needed them most (meaning here was a band that was POP and that was soft but hard and unmacho and gloriously right) and continue to be so over 20 years later although I wish they'd hurry up with their records

Don't stop the body rock

Above: Me, friend

linus

Re: The Pastels

Post by linus » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:10 pm

I think I was trying to look like both Niki and Chris from Huggy Bear in that photo, by the way

timahall
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/timahall

Post by timahall » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:00 pm

I can't even begin to express how much the Pastels mean to me. Besides being one of my all-time favourite bands, I would never have discovered this whole world of music w/out them. I'm in Mono in Glasgow a lot and always mean to tell Stephen how much his music means to me but any time i've attempted to it's come out all wrong. He's always been very friendly though.

Favourite Pastels songs (although they constantly change):

Firebell Ringing
Kitted Out (has to follow Firebell Ringing like on the Truckload Of Trouble comp!)
Up For A Bit
Automatically Yours
Leaving This Island
Attic Plan
Comin' Through

I finally got to see them live in 2007 (3 times in 2 days!) and it was brilliant, even though the show in Edinburgh was a bit of a disaster :)

timahall

Post by timahall » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:33 pm

linus wrote:Whatever happened to their new LP and the Tenniscoats collaboration?
Stephen posted this on Myspace recently:
Sorry, we didn't finish our 'new Pastels record' in 2008 but we did finish the record we were making with Tenniscoats and it will come out in the spring. It's called Two Sunsets and it sounds like two sunsets. We are going to release a 7" of two of the songs, Vivid Youth and About You (the Jesus and Mary Chain song) and we will shoot a video for it too. We have plans and hope to be very productive in 2009. Thanks for waiting.

Marshall
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/seajohnsters
Location: somewhere between Emma's House & The House That Man Built

Post by Marshall » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:17 am

It may sound blasphemous but I never really "Got" the pastels. Their tunes are nice enough but there's something about the way the songs are played which i really can't get into. I really liked it when Teenage fanclub(massive fan of their's) covered Nothing To Be done and the original is probably the best thing I've heard the pastels do but it's still not quite there. I admire them for the bands they've inspired a lot of my favourites but they just don't do it for me. Saw them live a couple of times too and really didn't get it. Sex Gang Children now I do like them!

linus

Post by linus » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:27 pm

Marshall wrote:Sex Gang Children now I do like them!
to be fair, I can't recall what they sounded like at all... but they were always in Zigzag magazine

not an easy band to google

Marshall

Post by Marshall » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:36 pm

linus wrote:
Marshall wrote:Sex Gang Children now I do like them!
to be fair, I can't recall what they sounded like at all... but they were always in Zigzag magazine

not an easy band to google
haha they certainly arn't. Musically though an acquired taste a very awkward sound, I like it though.

The Pastels though are a band that I do revisit every so often in hope I will feel the beauty of their music. I just feel that there is something there which i'm destine to get one day! that first picture you posted just makes me want to love them!

grumpytimes
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/chrishafa

Post by grumpytimes » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:58 am

i'm sure at least some people will disagree with me on this, but i love how the pastels 'periods' are all(almost) equally ace. mobile safari was the first thing i ever heard of theirs so i usually figure that's why i think of it as my fav, although i had a great time dancing around the flat to 'suck on the pastels' last night...

i'm always really nervous about playing the pastels around people who aren't fans though, there's just a lot of things about them that are potentially hate-able - that said i don't know anyone who actually does hate them. even my girlfriend likes them and she doesn't like anything.

richpassivity
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by richpassivity » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:51 am

My ex girlfriend who normally thought most of the indie-pop stuff I love was "too twee" loved 'Truck Train Tractor' when it came on during a random mix tape! She didn't really like most of THE PASTELS other stuff though.
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

Marshall

Post by Marshall » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:08 pm

grumpytimes wrote:i'm sure at least some people will disagree with me on this, but i love how the pastels 'periods' are all(almost) equally ace. mobile safari was the first thing i ever heard of theirs so i usually figure that's why i think of it as my fav, although i had a great time dancing around the flat to 'suck on the pastels' last night...

i'm always really nervous about playing the pastels around people who aren't fans though, there's just a lot of things about them that are potentially hate-able - that said i don't know anyone who actually does hate them. even my girlfriend likes them and she doesn't like anything.
there's nothing about them to hate, just something I want to like but just quite get my head round it

linus

Post by linus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:22 pm

yeh, I'm not sure what's hateable about them and I'm not really sure I want to go into that here on a thread that's about 'why I dig the pastels and why you should too', it strikes me as a bit rum to describe them as that

hey ho...

linus

Post by linus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:23 pm

anybody else here ever a 'Friend of the Pastels', I want to meet at least one other in my lifetime... I was number 279 so there must be 278 others at the very least

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:53 pm

linus wrote:anybody else here ever a 'Friend of the Pastels', I want to meet at least one other in my lifetime... I was number 279 so there must be 278 others at the very least
I never got round to becoming a friend myself but I know at least two other people who were. They're not on here though...

timahall

Post by timahall » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:16 am

Was this thread moved to 'not indiepop'? I would have thought the Pastels are a defining 'indiepop' band.

linus

Post by linus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:11 am

you could argue that the smiths are equally if not more so a defining 'indiepop' band, certainly you're never too far away from an indiepop band (now, then or next week) that's ripped the smiths-sound wholesale or copped the same sort of attitude... (even if the outcome doesn't ever quite meet the intent you can still see 'ah, yes, they really really want to be the smiths'- I've never encountered a band, not really, where I've thought that but with the pastels instead of the smiths) but the smiths are also filed under 'not indiepop'

it's tricky, do the pastels still considered themselves 'indiepop' and is it fair to pigeonhole a band as such when the period that defines them (in most indiepop people's eyes/ears) as being 'indiepop' is from 20+ years ago (a period of time that's seen them go thru' significant changes in band line-ups and 'musical direction')?

my answer is:

'I don't know'

and

'does it matter?'

personally I think the more recent pastels stuff is as rich and worthwhile as the C86 stuff but different (I am a fan and slavishly so but I wouldn't just cling to a band if they went off the boil- they've still got to excite me and make me want to gleefully waste precious time on them) and the definition of indiepop (if that's the hook we're going to hang it on) should be broader in it's a definition so it doesn't become this narrow, reductive term that defines a very samey sounding set of bands copping moves from a limited palette of references- not that I think it is but there's always that danger, as with any musical form- perhaps everything is indiepop at the end of the day

that doesn't answer the question at all

barbelith

Post by barbelith » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:22 pm

linus wrote:do the pastels still considered themselves 'indiepop' and is it fair to pigeonhole a band as such when the period that defines them (in most indiepop people's eyes/ears) as being 'indiepop' is from 20+ years ago
I think Stephen would be appalled at the thought of being defined as indiepop

For my money Stephen Pastel is and has been the most influential man in scottish music ever

Oh, and hi, this is my 1st post

linus

Post by linus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:25 pm

hello and welcome to our world!

annaku
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/annaku

Post by annaku » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:30 pm

my avatar
Attachments
pastel.jpg

annaku
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/annaku

Post by annaku » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:33 pm

this makes my fourth post, but it's my first day! Hope I'll do OK.

bartblueboy

Post by bartblueboy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:24 am

I do like the Pastels a lot, always have done.
My favourite is "up for a bit", the original lp version on Glass records.
I guess the band themselves found it a little overproduced by John A. Rivers (who also produced the glorious In Embrace and some of Felt's stuff at the time) which is why the cd version is different.
In my opinion "If I could tell you" was just glorious sounding on the lp and the newly remixed cd version leaves out the most glorious bits (or to be correct, puts them way down in the mix) which is wrong in my opinion.
I've played the lp so much though, it is in a bit of a state ...