Joanna Newsom

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

morning chorus
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:47 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: dublin

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by morning chorus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:53 pm

can't wait to hear this...

...can no way see it beating y's though... which all things considered might just be my album of the last decade...

User avatar
Mr Bear
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:48 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/cold_discovery
Location: Here and there

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by Mr Bear » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:54 am

I absolutely love this lyric, from In California:

My home, on the old Milk Lake,
Where the darkness does fall so fast
It feels like some kind of mistake

I woke up with it in my head this morning, just that lyric.

User avatar
photojonny
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:06 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/photojonny
Location: E20

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by photojonny » Wed May 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Some new dates

9/14/10 Grand Canal Theatre Dublin
9/16/10 Colston Hall Bristol
9/17/10 Symphony Hall Birmingham
9/18/10 Palace Theatre Manchester
9/20/10 Glasgow Royal Concert Hall Glasgow
9/21/10 The Sage Gateshead
One of god's stolen children

User avatar
Paquito
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:15 am
Location: Embra
Contact:

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by Paquito » Wed May 26, 2010 1:28 pm

The Royal Concert Hall? That's well posh. I might have to comb my hair and everything just so I can get into the place.
They don't call me Hawkeye Gilhooley... at all

noLooking

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by noLooking » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:14 pm

With impeccable timing...



I rather like that.
morning chorus wrote: 2004 - single album
2006 - double album
2010 - triple album

...i guess we'll be getting a quadruple one in 2018 if this series is continued
Sadly not.

Image

http://www.dragcity.com/products/divers

User avatar
Yex
Posts: 597
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:11 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/yex
Location: People's Republic of Cascadia
Contact:

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by Yex » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:01 pm

Impeccable timing, indeed. I've been on a Joanna Newsom binge lately, and I just watched Inherent Vice for the first time last night.

I quite like the new song, though (as is my way with Joanna Newsom) I think I'll have to read the lyrics before I can fully digest it.
humblebee wrote:Yex, what's that siren? Quick, hide! I think it's the Eleven Music Distraction Police. They've been alerted to your outrageous crimes against the definition of a country!

noLooking

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by noLooking » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:29 pm

I'm feeling quite buoyed by the fact that the new album fits on a single CD. I don't think I could have faced another 3 disc extravaganza, it did wear a bit thin by the final third. Perhaps a return to the more manageable songs of the first LP.

I didn't realise until the other day that she had such a prominent role in "Inherent Vice". What's it like? Can she act? I read the book and found it a bit lame, I like Pynchon's big fancy novels and it seemed a bit lightweight and mediocre, trying to be both a genre novel and a pastiche and being neither one thing or the other.

I think the film's meant to be better though. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were trying to get it shown in loads of fleapit cinemas over here when it came out, for that authentically seedy, early seventies can't quite remember my name sort of feel, which seemed like a nice touch.

User avatar
alongwaltz
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:14 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by alongwaltz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm very excited about the announcement of the new album but especially that it's one disc and the song running times are "normal."

The Milk-Eyed Mender is one of my top five albums of all time. I like Ys okay but not nearly as much and Have One On Me is probably the only album I own that I've never listened to all the way through.

this clump of trees
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:14 pm

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by this clump of trees » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:01 pm

andyi wrote:I didn't realise until the other day that she had such a prominent role in "Inherent Vice". What's it like? Can she act? I read the book and found it a bit lame, I like Pynchon's big fancy novels and it seemed a bit lightweight and mediocre, trying to be both a genre novel and a pastiche and being neither one thing or the other.
joanna newsom mostly did the narration.. she just sounded really stoned

it reminded me of the big lebowski, but less cartoonish i guess? i haven't read the book so i dont know how it compares

heres a review you might find helpful: http://qlipoth.blogspot.com/2015/07/inh ... s-and.html

User avatar
Yex
Posts: 597
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:11 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/yex
Location: People's Republic of Cascadia
Contact:

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by Yex » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:00 am

this clump of trees wrote:
andyi wrote:I didn't realise until the other day that she had such a prominent role in "Inherent Vice". What's it like? Can she act? I read the book and found it a bit lame, I like Pynchon's big fancy novels and it seemed a bit lightweight and mediocre, trying to be both a genre novel and a pastiche and being neither one thing or the other.
joanna newsom mostly did the narration.. she just sounded really stoned

it reminded me of the big lebowski, but less cartoonish i guess? i haven't read the book so i dont know how it compares
I've watched it, and this seems pretty spot on. It's The Big Lebowski if the story was taking itself seriously and was set when the Dude was younger. I actually really enjoyed it. It definitely merits a second viewing, if only to help digest the rather dense narrative.
alongwaltz wrote:The Milk-Eyed Mender is one of my top five albums of all time. I like Ys okay but not nearly as much and Have One On Me is probably the only album I own that I've never listened to all the way through.
The Milk-Eyed Mender is a classic, but Ys is a masterpiece, in my opinion. I'm with you though in that I've never been able to get through Have One On Me. It's funny that if you read reviews from when Have One On Me came out, they all talk about how she was OK before, but now she's shaped up, matured, and writing really great songs. Eh.

I'm listening to the new album just now for the first time. I'm liking it quite a bit. I'll need a few more listens (at least one with lyrics in front of me) to fully process it. But it's good.

I got tickets to see her in March! Thanks Santa!

Edit: I'm further into the album now, and I'm won over thoroughly. This is a great album.
humblebee wrote:Yex, what's that siren? Quick, hide! I think it's the Eleven Music Distraction Police. They've been alerted to your outrageous crimes against the definition of a country!

noLooking

Re: Joanna Newsom

Post by noLooking » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:05 am

"Have One On Me" is really good, but it's a disk too long. I think the reviewers were nice about it because her voice seemed to have lost some of it's more obviously annoying traits.

I like the new one as well, but I don't seem to be getting round to it that much. Must try harder.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest