Odd Box

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Odd Box

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:05 pm

I didn't want to start a new thread for my post Lostmusic plans. So I posted this in the end of Lostmusic thread:
Well. my post Lostmusic plans have taken shape: They're an Odd Box.

First release was going to come out on Lostmusic - it's by Bristol guitar tunesmiths - The Kick Inside. But seeing as we've decided to bring lostmusic to close - they've been happy to shuffle across to Odd Box.

I've also elected to go ahead with The Crack Babies limited run of 50 CDR's on Odd Box. Both of these will be out in May.

Beyond this - plans are being, er, planned. Nothing concrete to say at the moment. I'm still not sure I'm going to venture back into the world of being a promoter. Maybe. We'll see. Certainly it will never be as regular as Lostmusic is(was) if I decide to take the plunge.

Maybe I should've started a new thread for this, but it seemed appropriate to tag this to the end of Lostmusic.
It confused people. So I've dumped this into a new thread - all about Odd Box. I imagine it's going to be a very quiet thread.
not really here

Rocker
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rockerq

Re: Odd Box

Post by Rocker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 pm

***Sound of pin dropping***
Cheers!

Rocker

Listen to my show at http://www.dandelionradio.com - the internet radio station inspired by John Peel.

Rocker
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rockerq

Post by Rocker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:20 pm

BANG!! Grenade goes off!

All sounding good! I like the sound of plans!

Keep us all informed!!
Cheers!

Rocker

Listen to my show at http://www.dandelionradio.com - the internet radio station inspired by John Peel.

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:25 pm

I launched the sister Odd Box blog today as well:

http://oddboxrecords.com/blog/
not really here

Tomb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242

Post by Tomb » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Good luck chap!

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:04 am

Thanks Tom!

and I've got a logo:
not really here

Pop Kid
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boyinky

Post by Pop Kid » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:57 am

Trev wrote:I launched the sister Odd Box blog today as well:

http://oddboxrecords.com/blog/
Looking good, Trev - those Girls With Guitars comps on Ace are brilliant.

All the best with this.

pennybroadhurst

Post by pennybroadhurst » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:03 am

Ooh, pretty. Is that shallow?

Trev

Post by Trev » Sat May 02, 2009 9:19 pm

The début release on Odd Box Records is now available to pre-order from the Odd Box Records website:

The Kick Inside - Oh, Vanity! B/w It's Always The Quiet Ones

The Kick Inside are a quartet from Bristol and they first came to my attention when they played a Lostmusic show back in July 2008. This single was originally going to be released on Lostmusic - but with this venture drawing to a close it was decided to make this release the first on my new label; Odd Box Records.

This release is due in May 2009 and pre-orders will be up online in the next few days. The single ‘Oh, Vanity!’ comes backed with live favourite ‘It’s Always The Quiet Ones‘. This début release is going to be a limited edition 7″ single (300 Copies) that will come in beautiful home printed sleeves.

You can find more details and pre-order here and this is the bands My Space.
not really here

Outcognito
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Outcognito » Sun May 03, 2009 4:54 pm

You busy chap!
It's so easy when the door is wide open.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon May 18, 2009 10:58 pm

The Crack Babies is up for pre-order - here.

Previous press for The Crack Babies:

“Here is a seventeen-minute EP covering seven tracks delivered with jackhammer-like decorum. Yet, as usual, persistence pays and a careful listen beyond the surface throws up a few melodic delights like the first song ‘Shine’ - melodically a dead ringer for New Order’s ‘Ceremony’ with layers of feedback added. Other songs are reminiscent of Motown anthems unceremoniously mugged by a gang of ne’er-do-wells. All told, it’s primitive, raw yet fertile stuff.” – Leonards Lair

“Just don’t listen to this on headphones unless you want your brain to explode.” – Whisperin’ and Hollerin’

“At loud volume this is truly one of the noisiest albums using guitars that I have ever heard. The beauty in these songs is the familiar trick of underlying this noise with a 60s pop punch of sweet melodies. And if Elvis Presleys coolness is viewed in regards to his knack for offending the eardrums of an older generation, its hard to imagine a cooler band around today than The Crack Babies, who could probably send your parents on a one-way trip to the migraine madhouse.” - Left Off The Dial
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Sat May 23, 2009 6:14 pm

The Kick Inside 7" singles have landed. They look and sound gorgeous. All those that pre-ordered - they'll be in the post next week.
Attachments
odd001.JPG
odd001.JPG (49.65 KiB) Viewed 11790 times
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Tue May 26, 2009 8:04 pm

News update:

The Kick Inside vinyl has finally landed. It looks and sounds gorgeous. The first batch of pre-sales went in the post today. All pre-orders will be in the post by the end of the week. Thanks for ordering! And if you haven't ordered this 7" single yet, what are you waiting for, as it's available from the shop NOW! (http://oddboxrecords.com/?page_id=5)

The Crack Babies limited run is nearing completion. After a little hiccup with the masters - we're back on track and these should be ready to post in 7-10 days. There are only 50 of these being made and they're flying out of the online store like, er, hot cakes. Be sure to order soon to aviod disappointment.

Details are being finalised for ODD005 and ODD006. ODD005 is going to a 5 track EP from Newcastle Under Lyme's drone masters LoveLust and ODD006 is a 4 track EP by The Give It Ups, who are a beautiful lo-fi indiepop charmers from South London. If all goes to plan these limited run CDs will be available to pre-order at the end of June ready for shipping on 20th July.

The first OddCast (that's a podcast put through an Odd Box blender) should hopefully be online in the next 7 days or so. Keep your ears and eyes open for that one.

There is more exciting stuff in the pipeline - so be sure to stay tuned to Odd Box!
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:56 am

New releases up for pre-order:

I am delighted to announce that ODD003 is now available for pre-order. This CD release by Pinkshinyultrablast is an EP that is full to brimming with some wonderful shoegaze tinged rock’n'roll. Taking their cues from the original masters like My Bloody Valentine, Chapterhouse and Ride - this band from Saint-Petersburg in Russia are perfect exponenents of the now vibrant revival in all that fuzzes and buzzes. ‘Happy Songs For Happy Zombies‘ is an exhilarating listen, full of buzzin’ guitars and dreamy vocals, that are perfect for the hazy sunny days of summertime.

The EP comes with 4 songs:

blaster
deerland
honeybee
ode to godzilla

Hot on the heals of ODD003, comes, er ODD004. How logical.

For this release we’ve been mining out some modern day nuggets. And in the The Humms we have found a band that know how to deliver a rawkus tune. ‘Are You Dead?‘ is an EP of scintillating garage rock n roll that takes it’s cues from bands like The Fuzztones, 60’s originals like The Litter and a whole host of others that like to mix their primitive guitars with killer melodies, zombies and a just a hint of rockabilly stomp. The full track list of the EP:

Are You Dead?
Do The Graverobber!
LSD is Evil
No One Wants To Be Alone On Valentines Day

The band hail from Athens, Georgia in the USA.

Both releases are available to pre-order now and they are limited to just 120 copies each.

http://oddboxrecords.com/
http://www.myspace.com/pinkshinyultrablast
http://www.myspace.com/thehumms
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:34 pm

I am currently compiling bands to go on the first in a series of Odd Box Records compilations.

Any interested bands - feel free to email info@oddboxrecords.com

I will be looking at a late Autumn/early winter release for this CD compilation.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:02 pm

The Crack Babies CDs are due tomorrow or Saturday! Finally. Only a handful left on the site now. Once they're gone, they're gone.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Some reviews for The Kick Inside and The Crack Babies:

The Kick Inside - Oh, Vanity - Eardrums 11th June 2009

The first release on the new label Odd Box records (run by Trev from Lostmusic/indie-mp3), and the second (??) single from The Kick Inside. This band participated on our own “A Good Crop” compilation, and if you head over to eardrumspop, you can still get that one for free. Both songs on this single are high quality guitar pop, – very bouncy and full of energy. Listening to The Kick Inside sends me right back to the 80s, with constantly moving Marr-guitars and a vocal style somewhere between Morrissey and Simon LeBon. I like the b-side best on this one too, – the more melancholic “Always the quiet ones” is a lovely song. The single is printed in only 300 ex, and you can buy it from oddboxrecords.com.

The Crack Babies - Smoking At Gas Stations - Built on a Weak Spot 9th June

Back in 2005 Lostmusic Recordings released this seven song EP titled Smoking at Gas Stations from the one man band project The Crack Babies based out of Sweden. During its initial run of very limited copies it sold out and was then offered as a free download, which amassed quite a few of those. However with the aforementioned label now gone and nowhere to download, Odd Box Records has risen to the demand after persistent requests to do another limited run of the album on CD for anyone that missed out the first time. If you’re a big fan of 80’s noise-pop, lo-fi, or just JAMC worship in general then by all means don’t miss out on it again.

The Crack Babies are very much what you think they are, incredibly blown out shoegazy noise. However, on this EP the decibels are driven even further upward landing them in the same area as fellow past limit pushers Skywave. Whether the aesthetics of the record were intentional or not (it was recorded with an extremely low budget), the results greatly work to its advantage. At times the vocals hit a high blown out yet muffled pitch that often reminds me of Scott Cortez’s work under the Astrobrite moniker. Anyway, check out the tune below.

For anyone interested in pre-ordering a copy of this re-issued limited run of this EP, then head on over to Odd Box Records to get in on that. I definitely recommend it for anyone that considers themselves a fan of noise-pop or any of the other mentioned artists in this piece. Enjoy!

The Crack Babies - Smoking At Gas Stations - Indie-MP3 - 9th June 2009

Odd Box Records is re-releasing The Crack Babies’ Smoking At Gas Stations EP which was originally released in 2005 on Lostmusic.

I originally reviewed the EP back then for Sounds XP and after revisiting both the EP and review nothing needs changing. Well almost nothing. I wrote that:

It’s 1985 in the Crack Babies world. Specifically 1985 with a copy of the Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Psychocandy” in hand. “Shine” kicks off and you are automatically absorbed by the lo-fi, feedback driven scorching sound. There is no greater homeage to the Reid brothers vision of pop music than this.

As for other tracks “America” is “Just Like Honey” and is followed in turn by “Honey Believer” which is far away the best track on the EP and you just wanna turn that volume up. Bollocks to the neighbours or what? “Pretty” is the only let down. A slower and quieter track, it is way out of place here.

I am sure the JAMC comparisons will start to haunt the band – sorry! However the rawness of the songs structure and sound makes this one of the few releases to get me truly excited in 2005 2009.

The release is limited to just 50 numbered copies. You can order it direct from the label.

The Kick Inside - Oh, Vanity - Russel’s Reviews 5th June 2009

Oh I love this. It’s chirpy guitar pop from the mid eighties, guitars picked at ten to the dozen, diving this way and that, twisting you in circles. The rest of the tune fits lovely around this spindly guitar line, just the right foppish vocals, drum fills and cool attitude. It’s Always The Quiet Ones isn’t quite as good, the singer going for a more Morrissey like moan, and the song sounding like the Smiths after a trip to Africa. It’s not bad; it just feels a bit too awkward for its own good.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:48 am

The Crack Babies CDs finally arrived on Monday whilst I was in Wet and Windy Edinburgh for a work conference thing.

They look supurb. All that ordered - expect them soon - they're in the post today.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:53 pm

I am delighted to announce that Odd Box is launching it’s very own Net Label – called ODDNET.

These releases will be free to download from Odd Box Records and they will all be two song releases with artwork and MP3’s packaged into a handy zip file.

The thinking behind this new Net Label is to be able to release more great music and showcase great up and coming bands. News on the first ‘release’ will be coming shortly and it’s safe to say I am very excited by this new venture!
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Some nice reviews incoming:

The Kick Inside – Oh Vanity (ODD001)

“Oh I love this. It’s chirpy guitar pop from the mid eighties, guitars picked at ten to the dozen, diving this way and that, twisting you in circles” – Russell’s Reviews

“There’s something very early 80s Top of the Pops about it. All it needs is brass” – A Layer Of Chips

“high quality guitar pop, – very bouncy and full of energy” – Eardrums Blog

Golau Glau – Soft Silver Young (NET001)

“Its weird, yet affecting and helps make a rather fine single” – Russell’s Reviews

The Humms – Are You Dead? (ODD004)

“Carries a flick knife and is destined for a rumble on the wrong side of the tracks” – Russell’s Reviews

“Their lysergic graveyard take on rock’n’roll seems equally inspired by rockabilly, Big Star and Nuggets, and is one of those fascinatingly out of time melodic three minutes at a time bands you come across every so often” – Sweeping The Nation

Pinkshinyultrablast – Happy Songs For Happy Zombies (ODD003)

“an adrenaline rush of fuzzy guitars complete with the dream pop trademark ethereal vocals” – Indie-MP3

The Crack Babies – Smoking At Gas Stations (ODD002)

“incredibly blown out shoegazy noise…landing them in the same area as fellow past limit pushers Skywave” – Built on a Weakspot

“lo-fi, feedback driven scorching sound” – Indie-MP3

You can read the full reviews in the reviews section which can be found on the Odd Box Site – here.
not really here