Odd Box

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

roundbitsofplastic

Re: Odd Box

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:35 am

Murray wrote:I think it might be the best thing I've ever seen.

XL *sigh* please.
Christ, if you're an XL Murray the same size would have to be painted onto me. Do I need a couple of extra Xs?
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Murray

Post by Murray » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:46 am

roundbitsofplastic wrote:
Murray wrote:I think it might be the best thing I've ever seen.

XL *sigh* please.
Christ, if you're an XL Murray the same size would have to be painted onto me. Do I need a couple of extra Xs?
You've not seen me for a while, Ray. I've been piling on the pounds and now resemble a walrus.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:41 pm

Murray wrote:I've been piling on the pounds and now resemble a walrus.
Or, apparently, a Ray K!
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:08 pm

So after all my wailing in other threads about shows not working I've had a bit of a rethink. But, yeah, there will be more shows at some point.
not really here

a layer of chips
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by a layer of chips » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:12 pm

This is like that Simpsons episode where Bart is stuck down a well.

(Hurray!)

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:16 pm

THIS:

Pre-orders shipping next week.
not really here

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Ooh, just listened to those three Wendoes songs you put on Bandcamp, Trev, you big tease. So great. Can't wait for the record. Eeeeeee!

linus

Post by linus » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:34 pm

The Wendy Darlings LP is everything I wished it might be and more

It's a dance party of an album, best played loud, expensive ornaments need to be locked away safely, pictures on the wall will be be knocked askew, roll the carpet back, push back the furniture, give yourself plenty of room, be ready with apologies for the neighbours, it's that kind of record

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:02 pm

The 100 Club Series Vol.2 will be shipping very soon. That, up there, is 100 Sock Puppets singles, sleeved and numbered. Just 100 Bloomer and 100 Dog Legs to go before they start shipping out.

Fuckin' busy around these parts at the moment.

Getting ordering folks, this stuff is taking up way too much room!
not really here

crystalball

Post by crystalball » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:30 am

So, can we talk about the Wendy Darlings album a lot? It's bloody incredible. Ohmygod 'Zombie Bee' ohmygod everything. <3 <3 <3 <3

linus

Post by linus » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:19 am

it's a mantelpiece, for sure

there's lots of special ingredients there:

the laugh/giggle/smile in suzy's voice
that rubberband bass sound
the guitars are turned up and go rrRRWOOOARRR! except for when they jangle in a pretty light dappling on the water type way... either way it's cool
that it's hit after hit after hit, etc
that it's fully syncopated (expertly drummed, maraca'd and tambourined), for full-on hot and heavy wig-shaking hip-swiggling dance action
that it's all pep, no pap, all pop, no poop
that they sound like the funningnest partyingest gang in town (this town, your town, any town)
that it's booted every other record off my hi-fi (and there were some big grand 'we are contemporary and meaningful'-type growly heavyweights taking up valuable space there)
that nothing else seems to matter when it's playing

yeh, it kinda' rulez my world right now

and come on, 'teenager', that's just how it feels ('you're not a teenager anymore'), right?

I wanna sing 'yeah yeah yeah' all day

crystalball

Post by crystalball » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:48 am

^^^ YEAH! ^^^

Might have to cancel my subscription to the World is Shit Weekly because of it.

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:50 pm

100 Club Series Vol.2 subscribers should be getting their first 3 (Sock Puppets, Bloomer and Dog Legs) 7s this week.

People who cherry picked the singles they wanted should be getting them next week, too.

The final 2 (City Yelps & King Of Cats) in the series won't be shipping until June now (delays due to RSD/Cashflow and me being away for most of May!)

Details of Volume 3 coming soon - they'll be out between July and December this year. The first single in Volume 3 will be an 11(!) songs long from Year Of Birds. Exciting yeah?
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:40 am

So yeah, Volume 3 of the 100 Club Series is rumbling into the rearview mirror.

So here's a brief low down on the 5 bands that will be featured:

The already mentioned Year Of Birds. It's a 9 song 7" (not 11 as I'd previously babbled about). From Middlesborough. They are a prolific bunch of noiseniks. http://yearofbirds.bandcamp.com/ last seen around these parts on the Crackle! Fuzz! Pop! singles club in 2013. Comparison to Bogshed, The Fall and Stump have been garnered thus far.

Heathers from L.A. are about to blow peoples minds as they take on a whistle-stop tour of the UK culminating with an appearance at the ODD BOX weekender. New single 'Fear' is picking up a lot of notice at the moment. http://hhheathers.bandcamp.com/ Heathers are raw jangle pop - "punk’s energy meeting the broken-hearted crusade of 60s pop. It’s loud and it’s bright and it’s irresistible" so say Did Not Chart

Chorusgirl bring big chiming pop songs to the party. Dirty surf tones. Recently awarded 'Song Of The Day' on Collapsed Board for the instant classic 'Oh, To Be A Defector'. https://soundcloud.com/chorusgirl take a listen for yourself. Fall in love. Fall hard.

The Manhattan Love Suicides are about to play their first show for 5 years. They have a brand new album recorded. They will also be recording new songs for the 100 Club Series. Fuzzy feedback 60s infused pop. To die for.

The last hit on the third volume of the 100 Club Series is Sweet Benfica. This lo-fi slacker duo are from Wales can be folky or fucked-up and noisy as their want takes them. Diverse comparisons reflect this approach (Daniel Johnston, The Cramps and Richard Hell!). The fact that they're from my old hometown only adds to their mystery for me. How can something this good be from where I am from?
not really here

gofelt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bachelorkisses

Post by gofelt » Sat May 10, 2014 6:47 pm

A big, big thanks for the weekender, Trev! I couldn't do friday and saturday as I was babysitting but sunday's gig was AMAZING! Totally blown away by Night Flowers and Chorusgirl. Night Flowers remind me of Pale Saints and the early Pains - beautiful, fuzzy, warm songs. Loved their singer's performance on stage too. I am sure they are going to get big, really big very soon. And Chorusgirl is my new obsession!

I love that feeling when you first see a band that you know nothing about them and you get completely blown away by their music. Night Flowers' music made me feel alive again, forget all the sad things of the past few weeks and appreciate the simple but beautiful things in life we usually take for granted.

xxx
I slice the surface here beside you/Lungs filled liquid yell I love you/Sound moves further underwater
Deep and dark my submarine bells groan in greens and grey/Mine would chime a thousand times/To make you feel okay..

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Sat May 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Sums up Night Flowers nicely, that.

I must check out Chorus Girl. I must check out loads of bands, come to think of it.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:35 am

A slight change of tack with Volume 3 of The 100 Club Series. We’re still going to make 5 new singles in runs of just 100. But we are not going to sell subscriptions for this volume. Each record will be pressed in a run of 100. We will sell them on a first come, first serve basis. They will be £5.50 each plus postage and packaging (costs of production have risen again, sorry). The 5 bands confirmed for this volume are:

Year Of Birds
Chorusgirl
The Manhattan Love Suicides
Sweet Benfica
Heathers

The first 7” in this series will be by Year Of Birds. The rest of the series will be out before the end of 2014. Pre-orders for each 7” single will be up as each record goes into production, so you will be able to order the Year Of Birds 7” this week at some point.
not really here

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:49 am

Weekender 2015 is go.

(nothing like some advance warning - save the dates)

Friday 1st May - Sunday 3rd May.

All happening at one venue this time: The Shacklewell Arms in Dalston.
not really here