chart pop / RnB

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

Post Reply
User avatar
caramarydaisy
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: sheffield

chart pop / RnB

Post by caramarydaisy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:27 pm

im fairly sure im not the only one with an unashamed love of the top forty etc..

current/recent faves:

sean kingston - fire burning on the dancefloor
shakira - she wolf
david guetta feat kelly rowlands - when love takes over

but there are tons!

anyone else??
i said OK! the wind said no

User avatar
Levey
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by Levey » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:56 pm

me!! not all pop is horrible, all r&b is though.

My current pop love would also be David Guetta.

User avatar
caramarydaisy
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: sheffield

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by caramarydaisy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:31 pm

i think its a fine line between good rnb and bad rnb.. you cant say its all bad! what even is rnb these days and not pop?

altho my rnb love sometimes flows over into grime territory.

tinchy stryder 4eva
i said OK! the wind said no

User avatar
andyroo
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:15 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Irlanda

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by andyroo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Why's it even called RnB? Where's the blues in it?
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

linus

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by linus » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:05 pm

does it not stand for 'relaxation and bathtime'?

'relaxation and blues' doesn't make sense

User avatar
caramarydaisy
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: sheffield

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by caramarydaisy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:06 pm

andyroo wrote:Why's it even called RnB? Where's the blues in it?
its all about the heartbreak and boyf/girlf cheating etc.. innit
i said OK! the wind said no

User avatar
andyroo
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:15 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Irlanda

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by andyroo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:17 pm

fogofideas wrote:does it not stand for 'relaxation and bathtime'?

'relaxation and blues' doesn't make sense
"Didn't wake up this mornin'..."
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

User avatar
Levey
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by Levey » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:31 pm

I think the king of rnb would be R.Kelly. Ugh

indiansummer
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:52 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue
Location: from Liverpool / in Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by indiansummer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:35 pm

Levey wrote:I think the king of rnb would be R.Kelly. Ugh
He may be morally reprehensible, but the man responsible for Trapped In The Closet (the pinnacle of human achievement; i'm not joking) can't be all bad.

Something about our own lives holding up to scrutiny, or whatever.

(Also, Ignition is tops)
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

User avatar
caramarydaisy
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: sheffield

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by caramarydaisy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:45 pm

R Kelly is at the fantastically farcical end of RnB.. trapped in the closet is wonderful! and now i have ignition stuck in my head!
i said OK! the wind said no

indiansummer
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:52 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue
Location: from Liverpool / in Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by indiansummer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:53 pm

caramarydaisy wrote:R Kelly is at the fantastically farcical end of RnB.. trapped in the closet is wonderful! and now i have ignition stuck in my head!
Me too.

"IT'S THE FREAKIN' WEEKEND" - true dat
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

User avatar
stolenwine
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:27 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/
Location: giddy london
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by stolenwine » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:13 pm

ha! i've been listening to trapped in the closet today, chapters 8-12 which are my most fave ones. it's just so fucking brilliant on so many levels. and i don't mean that in an ironic way or whatever.

i'm fond of some charty stuff too. i spent a lot of today listening to beyonce, tlc and destiny's child and it put me in a really good happy dancey mood!
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

Jangloid Mark
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:38 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/JanglyMark
Location: Swansea, Wales
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by Jangloid Mark » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:25 pm

I'm from very much a POP!!! background. My tastes may be much less commercial in mainstream terms, but, POP!!! is what I like listening to the most.

The thing is, though...I cannot remember a recent record by a current mainstream pop artist that I've really liked...the likes of Beyonce, Sean Kigson, Guetta (artists that have already been mentioned in this thread), frankly, leave me cold.

Yet, I do love POP!!! I think Kylie's first single (I Should Be So Lucky) is pure pop heaven (*ducks*), and love many other POP!!!! songs, be it 'Uptown Girl' (Billy Joel), 'Perfect' (Fairground Attraction), 'She Loves You' (The Beatles), 'Reach Out (I'll Be There)' (The Four Tops), 'That'll Be The Day' (Buddy Holly), 'That Girl' (McFly) - and, yes, listing at least one from each decade was delibarate....

I don't think it's a case of me getting old, or losing interest, as I'm constantly discovering new music that I love...but, current chart pop does nothing for me....
Love is a weakness in the knees...it's dangerous on the stairs...

Bandcamp : https://janglymark.bandcamp.com/
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/Jangly.Mark
Skype : Jangly Mark (feel free to call me)

User avatar
indiehorse
Posts: 1939
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:50 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by indiehorse » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:51 pm

I think this should have been the biggest pop song of the year. It failed to chart.


User avatar
indiehorse
Posts: 1939
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:50 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by indiehorse » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:59 pm

Jangloid Mark wrote: I think Kylie's first single (I Should Be So Lucky) is pure pop heaven (*ducks*), and love many other POP!!!! songs, be it 'Uptown Girl' (Billy Joel), 'Perfect' (Fairground Attraction), 'She Loves You' (The Beatles), 'Reach Out (I'll Be There)' (The Four Tops), 'That'll Be The Day' (Buddy Holly), 'That Girl' (McFly) - and, yes, listing at least one from each decade was delibarate....
Except the 70's and the 90's...

Jangloid Mark wrote:I don't think it's a case of me getting old, or losing interest
I suspect it probably is.

User avatar
boney
Posts: 1767
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:18 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by boney » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:27 pm

Shakira is flipping marvellous. That is all.

User avatar
stolenwine
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:27 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/
Location: giddy london
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by stolenwine » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:49 am

Jangloid Mark wrote:
The thing is, though...I cannot remember a recent record by a current mainstream pop artist that I've really liked...the likes of Beyonce
even this? it's pretty flawless and TOTALLY FUCKING BRILLIANT:

tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

Jangloid Mark
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:38 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/JanglyMark
Location: Swansea, Wales
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by Jangloid Mark » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:34 am

indiehorse wrote:
Jangloid Mark wrote: I think Kylie's first single (I Should Be So Lucky) is pure pop heaven (*ducks*), and love many other POP!!!! songs, be it 'Uptown Girl' (Billy Joel), 'Perfect' (Fairground Attraction), 'She Loves You' (The Beatles), 'Reach Out (I'll Be There)' (The Four Tops), 'That'll Be The Day' (Buddy Holly), 'That Girl' (McFly) - and, yes, listing at least one from each decade was delibarate....
Except the 70's and the 90's...
Oops. I thought the Four Tops single was 70's. Just checked, my copy has 2 dates, 1966 & 1972...I of all people should have realised it was a re-issue.
Love is a weakness in the knees...it's dangerous on the stairs...

Bandcamp : https://janglymark.bandcamp.com/
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/Jangly.Mark
Skype : Jangly Mark (feel free to call me)

Jangloid Mark
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:38 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/JanglyMark
Location: Swansea, Wales
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by Jangloid Mark » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:48 am

stolenwine wrote:
Jangloid Mark wrote:
The thing is, though...I cannot remember a recent record by a current mainstream pop artist that I've really liked...the likes of Beyonce
even this? it's pretty flawless and TOTALLY FUCKING BRILLIANT:

I'm sorry, but, no, it did nothing for me....to be honest, I found it mildly irritating. I'm partial to a bit of soul, but, just not the modern chart version...
Love is a weakness in the knees...it's dangerous on the stairs...

Bandcamp : https://janglymark.bandcamp.com/
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/Jangly.Mark
Skype : Jangly Mark (feel free to call me)

User avatar
indiehorse
Posts: 1939
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:50 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: chart pop / RnB

Post by indiehorse » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:32 am

You know who's awsome? Lily Allen.

"It's Not Me, It's You" is one of my favourite listens of the year. She is genuinely a brilliant lyricist. She tackles everyday subjects in an unpretentious manner without ever straying close to being trite or cliché.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest