The Jesus and Marychain

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

linus

The Jesus and Marychain

Post by linus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:49 am

is there really no thread for the marychain? trev, what gives, son?

I got the rhino super deluxe (well rather deluxe) reissue of 'psychocandy' on cd for christmas, some 26 years (good grief!) after getting it for christmas (vinyl) when it came out for the first time proper

it's a record that I played so often and so repeatedly back then that it began to lose all meaning and I wasn't really listening to it anymore when I played it... so a good 25 year gap to go back and really listen to it anew is welcome- and it's still a fucking corker of a record, plus all the extras, the demos and singles and that just make it super extra juicy and lovely (if I can use those words as descriptors given my age and broken teeth)

'psychocandy' sounds beefier than I ever remember it sounding, I was perhaps a little too heavy on the treble back in the day- it's fucking magic, pure magic

I love it

I'm looking forward to watching the dvd that came with it soon enough too

I went a bit marychainphobic after 'psychocandy' and 'darklands' didn't register with me at all (then) but given how magnificent this release is I'm willing to invest in 'darklands' and listen afresh and then maybe continue on from there... also jim reid now- when I've seen him interviewd- seems like a splendid cove, funny, self-deprecating, wise... like the sort of chap you (i.e, me) hope you (again me) might grow up into but you (me) suspect you (I) won't but it would be nice to (which I agree on)

so, yeh

they looked fucking cool around the time of 'psychocandy' too, even if they looked liked some emaciated velvets/ramones wannabes who'd slept in a skip... that's still a look I think rocks the party

I am a silly old sausage

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: The Jesus and Marychain

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Yeah.

Wistful sigh.

I got all these reissues. They are magnificent things.

I don't know why I don't post much about them. I think I've done all my candy talking elsewhere on this here internet. I am that fanboy.

I know loads of people that have trouble with them after Psychocandy. But really, they didn't release one duff record and their b sides were often as good if not better than the A sides. Sure they were fixated on then USA and JUNKGUNFEVERCHRISTKILLSURF cliches. But I don't think anyone ever did it better.

I saw plenty of their comeback shows. Yes I flew to LA to see them come back at Coachella. And the excitement of these shows was beyond compare. But part of me wishes they hadn't done it. But hey ho, the last time I got to see them was a tribute show for Nick Sanderson (Earl Brutus, Freeheat, occasional Mary Chain drummer). That was one hell of an emotional show too. And I couldn't imagine going to see them again.

And yes, Jim is a 'top bloke'. What more can you say? Always portrayed as mopey and miserable, the band (Jim and William) were (are?) rather funny guys and people always got the wrong end of the stick....

It's hard to believe Jim turned 50 just last week, too.
not really here

Jangloid Mark
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/JanglyMark

Post by Jangloid Mark » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:12 pm

I actually LOVED (well, still do), the first TWO albums...Psychocandy was a great NOISE record and Darklands was a great POP album....Barbed Wire Kisses was an excellent bridge between the two as well...

For me, falling out of love came with 'Automatic', which I consider to be the band's low point...good singles, and 'Between Planets' was great as well....but, overall, it played out like a boring rock record.

Of course, my faith was restored with 'Honey's Dead'..
Love is a weakness in the knees...it's dangerous on the stairs...

Bandcamp : https://janglymark.bandcamp.com/
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/Jangly.Mark

slow motion

Post by slow motion » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Douglas Hart has just completed a short film called Long Distance Information with Peter Mullan and a Gruff Rhys soundtrack. I believe it screens in Glasgow in February at the GFT as part of a short films festival...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eW3DFgc-1k

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:07 pm

http://www.myplaydirect.com/jesus-and-mary-chain

Nice, but £130? For stuff I've already got twenty times over, probably not. But I covet it.

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Jay wrote:http://www.myplaydirect.com/jesus-and-mary-chain

Nice, but £130? For stuff I've already got twenty times over, probably not. But I covet it.
I've ordered my copy.

My old vinyl copies are well worn.
not really here

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:27 pm

I can't say mine are in pristine condition. But then I've got the CDs. And The Power of Negative Thinking. And all the re-released CDs with extra tracks from last year. And everything on MP3. I don't think I can justify buying it all again.

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed May 14, 2014 9:42 am

3 live dates, in the UK, doing some sort of Psychocandy show.

I saw JAMC about a dozen times during the 80s and 90s. I wonder, if I add up the cost of all those shows, it will exceed what I'll have to pay to see that one show at the Manchester Academy. I would imagine the booking fee alone from some of those internet sites will be in excess of some of the previous tickets I bought.

I dunno, I find out the Jesus and Mary Chain are playing some shows, probably my favourite band ever, certainly the band I've kept closest to my heart for the longest, I don't even know the ticket prices yet and I've got to have a moan. I need a word with myself.

ShaunBrilldream
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by ShaunBrilldream » Fri May 16, 2014 1:27 pm

I paid 30 sheets for the Manchester night. There better be a riot afterwards.
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes and to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri May 16, 2014 4:39 pm

£27.50 for the ticket. £2.75 service charge (per ticket). I'm not sure exactly which service was provided, it seemed to me I did it all myself. Maybe that comes later and someone will bring me a cup of tea. I am parched, so I hope it comes soon. And £5.50 postage. £5.50!!!

"Secure post is recommended. This is a secure delivery method with tracking facility. May require a signature on delivery. You will receive your tickets no later than 48 hours before the event. This service is not available to PO Box addresses. If the cardholder is not personally attending this event, please select this option."

No thanks, *continue*

"You must choose a delivery method"

Choose? That is a process that requires two or more options, you've given me one!

I've seen The School, Slow Down Tallahassee, Pete Green and MJ Hibbert for less than it cost my JAMC tickets to be posted. I've seen Allo Darlin, Standard Fare and Moustache of Insanity for less than the price of that postage. My postman is going to have to be pretty spectacular to top those evenings. I don't fancy his chances.

Smiler

Post by Smiler » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm beyond excited to be given the opportunity to see the Jesus and Mary Chain again. £30 is a bargain to hear Psychocandy.

ShaunBrilldream

Post by ShaunBrilldream » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:54 pm

More dates. I'm getting pretty excited for next weeks gigs.

http://www.creation-records.com/the-jes ... ndy-dates/

Feb 21 U.E.A (University Of East Anglia), Norwich
Feb 22 Rock City, Nottingham
Feb 25 The Institute, Birmingham
Feb 26 O2 Academy, Bristol
Feb 27 Cardiff University Great Hall, Cardiff
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes and to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:28 pm

I wasn't even in when the postman brought the tickets. I had to pick them up from the post office myself. For £5.50! Bah humbug.

Looking forward to next week though. JAMC Thursday, Allo Darlin' Friday. If Tyrannosaurus Dead fancy playing my living room on Saturday that really would make my week.

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:55 pm

The service charge and the cost of postage are looking like a bit of a bargain now.

Not sure how many times I saw The Mary Chain back in the day (as us terminally uncool, over-the-hill types who have watched far too many American movies like to call it) at least a dozen, but last night was the best I've ever seen them, which means it's one of the best performances I've seen by anyone, ever.

I wasn't introduced to their music until after Darklands, so I was fortunate enough to miss the 15 minute, backs to the audience, wall of white noise concerts. By the time I saw them live they'd stopped trying to recreate the multi-layered feedback of Psychocandy altogether and played the songs from that album as straight up pop songs. They sounded good, but I've never heard those songs live in the style they were originally intended. Until this tour, I don't think anyone has. I've seen footage and heard recordings of their live work from before they recorded Darklands and while they attempted to recreate what they'd done in the studio, it often ended up being a bit of a row; just noise. Inevitable really when you distort the guitars so much and have everything drenched in feedback.

They had another go at it last night. And succeeded. Soft noise, enhancing the melody instead of drowning it out, just like the record. In the past the feedback that came from the speakers was harsh enough to strip paint, but this was a beautiful noise that filled the room. I have absolutely no idea how they did it, but it was wonderful and I'm so pleased I made the effort to go. I even felt a lump in my throat during The Hardest Walk.

Other than Jim's cropped hair and William's inflated waistline they didn't even look that different. They always played a show back lit, so you viewed them in silhouette, and last night was no different. They were as immobile as ever, but Jim did actually speak to us. Two whole sentences, which is as loquacious as I've ever heard him.

It's taken them almost 30 years, but they've finally figured out how to play Psychocandy live. I think it's astonishing that they ever managed to do it all. They're playing more dates in 2015. I urge you to go and see them.

I never thought that this day would ever come

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:11 pm

The show at the Troxy easily nestles in my top 5, probably nudging top 3 I've ever seen by The Jesus and Mary Chain. Given that their shows make up most of my favourites ever - that's saying something and I've seen the band probably 25 times now. I think 15 were pre break up and all the others were ones since they returned....

It was the best I've seen them since '92. And only going to Coachella in 2007 with 30 other mary chain nuts really tops it from their comeback shows. And that wasn't the performance related really (fine as it was) - it was more the event and meeting up with people I don't get to see that often that sets that one apart....

Top Mary Chain shows I've seen:

Glasgow Barrowlands April 1988
Brixton Academy Dec 1988
Bristol Studio 1987
Troxy 2014
Cardiff Rollercoaster 1992
Pomona - Coachella warmup show 2007
Coachella 2007
Bristol Sound City 1995 or was it 1996 or 1994?
Town and Country Club 1995

Everything else after that merges into one tremendous blob of noise...
not really here

moopind
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Finkublubou

Post by moopind » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Daniel & Norbert now on Twitter - @Dentressangular

Bandcamp also? Click me.