the mountain goats' own thread

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

gloom button

the mountain goats' own thread

Post by gloom button » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:31 am

Today is a good day I think to start a thread about the Mountain Goats. They're putting out something new! I like the name, Heretic Pride. And..
Pitchfork wrote:Heretic Pride arrives with the mark of guest appearances by St. Vincent's Annie Clark, Superchunk's Jon Wurster, Peter Hughes (naturally), old pal Franklin Bruno, Erik Friedlander, and the Bright Mountain Choir
I'm kind of really looking forward to the show in London. I've never, ever seen them.

I still only have a tiny number of their earlier records. I should get some more. I'm not sure how much the Protein Source of the Future.. Now! compilation that I have covers, but it's pretty wonderful.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

Martijn
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall

Post by Martijn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:51 pm

3 Beards of Sweet (or something like that) released a bunch of compilations half a decade ago that cover a lot of ancient, hard-to-find stuff.

I used to be a Huge MG-fan at some time. I've got over that obsessions, but it's still nice to hear the occasional tune. I do prefer the old, very lo-fi tunes to most of the newer material.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:47 pm

I could never tire of Sunset Tree. It is absolutely one of my desert island discs and makes me weep in several places, esp. "This Year" and "Love Love Love." When I'm on the brink of collapse, I sing to myself: "I am going to make it through this year if it kills me..."

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:49 pm

Martijn wrote:I do prefer the old, very lo-fi tunes to most of the newer material.
I am with you there. I'm hoping that that new name that sounds kind of angry is angry enough to be a bit crackly and old-style.

gofelt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bachelorkisses

Re: the mountain goats' own thread

Post by gofelt » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:09 pm

gloom button wrote:Today is a good day I think to start a thread about the Mountain Goats. They're putting out something new! I like the name, Heretic Pride. And..
Pitchfork wrote:Heretic Pride arrives with the mark of guest appearances by St. Vincent's Annie Clark, Superchunk's Jon Wurster, Peter Hughes (naturally), old pal Franklin Bruno, Erik Friedlander, and the Bright Mountain Choir
I'm kind of really looking forward to the show in London. I've never, ever seen them.

I still only have a tiny number of their earlier records. I should get some more. I'm not sure how much the Protein Source of the Future.. Now! compilation that I have covers, but it's pretty wonderful.
Oh, I love them, David. Isn't John Darnielle one of the greatest songwriters ever?!?!and what a brilliant storyteller.
I know/own their last three records, The Sunset Tree, We shall all be healed and Tallahassee and I've only heard a few tunes of their old lo-fi material. I've now lost count of how many 12-inches, cassettes, and side projects they 've released during the years - Darnielle is such a prolific songwriter... I think a lot of their releases during the first years are very hard to find and they've been included in three separate compilations (released around 2001-02, as Martijn said below).

What do you think of the last two albums? Some say they are autobiographical, others say these songs are pure fiction...
I don't know if those demented stories, such as the one described in Dance Music (I LOVE this song!!) are true- they might be. But Darnielle is definitely an amazing songwriter.

Ach, I really want to see his show at Union Chapel, though, it's the same day as the Xmas spiral scratch and the birthday of very good friend....

Well, more Goats info in our lives, please!
I slice the surface here beside you/Lungs filled liquid yell I love you/Sound moves further underwater
Deep and dark my submarine bells groan in greens and grey/Mine would chime a thousand times/To make you feel okay..

Martijn

Post by Martijn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:18 pm

gofelt wrote:What do you think of the last two albums? Some say they are autobiographical, others say these songs are pure fiction...
I don't think I've heard any of these albums, but I know that in the past, Darnielle used to write mainly fictional lyrics. Which made many reviewers, unaware of this fact, write that he must be a very sad, depressed bloke. I never got the impression he is like that really.

Martijn

Post by Martijn » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:19 pm

gofelt wrote:What do you think of the last two albums? Some say they are autobiographical, others say these songs are pure fiction...
I don't think I've heard any of these albums, but I know that in the past, Darnielle used to write mainly fictional lyrics. Which made many reviewers, unaware of this fact, write that he must be a very sad, depressed bloke. I never got the impression he is like that really.

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:42 am

gloom button wrote: I'm kind of really looking forward to the show in London. I've never, ever seen them.
I like him lots. They finished the show tonight with this cover, which I think is one of the best things I've ever heard. I like how perfectly halfway between being funny and being serious he is.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:47 am

Good one, linky.

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:08 am

Sorry!

(c) squirrelboutique, 2007

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:18 am

He also played the title track of the new record, which is pretty wonderful and angry and has lots of great lines about transfiguration and reckoning. I like him when he's angry. It suits some people.

anders

Post by anders » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:36 pm

He played that Houseguest song in Glasgow as well. It was brilliant. He went down on his knees and screamed a verse and a chorus to a girl in the first row.

The title track of the new record sounded really great didn't it? I'm really optimistic about Heretic Pride.

In Glasgow he played The Recognition Scene, which is one of my favourite Mountain Goats songs ever, and one that i didn't really expect to hear live. It was fantastic. And he played Baboon as well. And No Children is always amazing. I'm still waiting to get Best Ever death Metal band live though. I want to scream Hail Satan at a gig!

anders

Post by anders » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:26 pm

The new record has leaked and as I am home for Christmas and can download music again, I could not resist the temptation. I've had it on constant rotation now for three days and all I can say is: ...wow. It is that good. It's probably his most full-band-sounding record since, ..hmm, well, ever. Drums and bass on more or less every track, and most have some strings or piano as well. The melodies and arrangements are amazing. It's probably also his most easily accessible album ever as well.

The lyrics seem to be great as always. Better than ever? Better tha the last? Maybe.., but I need a bit more time with them. Anyway, the title track Heretic Pride, is great in contrasting this one with Get Lonely. Because I see it as the continuation of New Monster Avenue, where he's talking of how all the neighbours come out with their torches, and something's obviously about to happen. In Heretic Pride it does, he starts with telling how the people drag him out of his home and down the street, before the chorus comes and he screams out "I feel so proud to be alive and I'll be so proud when the reckoning arrives." In other words, it's a bit more positive than the last one. (Then again, how could it not be?)

Sax Rohmer #1, the opener, is amazing. And I love So Desperate, the title track, How To Embrace A Swamp Creature and San Bernadino as well.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:58 pm

I am well and truly excited for this new LP. That is all.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:04 pm

At first listen I wasn't overwhelmed yet, not like with some of the previous albums. Good music, of course, but I hope it'll soon grow a little bit more on me.

anders

Post by anders » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:01 pm

You're always so negative, Rith.

(And wrong.)

How To Embrace A Swamp Creature is my new favourite song.

And I can't really explain why, but I find Marduk T-Shirt Men's Room Incident so beautiful, particularly these lines, for some reason.

I let myself imagine she was you

only weightless
formless
blameless
nameless

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:09 pm

anders wrote:You're always so negative, Rith.

(And wrong.)
Tss.
Hello anders.

I'll listen to it again tonight and change my mind, deal?

anders

Post by anders » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:31 pm

Deal!

You will change your mind, I know you will. Maybe. It's good good good. Or maybe not. Anyway, it's on the list "Records That Anders Says RITH Should Love, But Doesn't" together with the Voxtot record and probably few others. ;)

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:58 pm

Oh, this will be lovely, anyone want to come to Boston in March?
Fri 03/14/08 Boston, MA Museum Of Fine Arts

miss deepfreeze

Post by miss deepfreeze » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:15 pm

anders wrote: Marduk T-Shirt Men's Room Incident
i haven't heard the new record yet, but i love this title because JD totally would wear a Marduk* t-shirt, wouldn't he? bless.

*the best ever black metal band in norrköping

oh, and to continue the RAGING debate over old vs. new: i'm a early years listener myself. i admire the hifi stuff, but nothing makes me feel quite the same as the 90s albums.