the mountain goats' own thread

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

alongwalkhome

Re: the mountain goats' own thread

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:13 pm

RITH wrote:I played that once with my girlfriend in the room.
She didn't like that.

There's not ALWAYS a message in the songs I choose to play!
For a good two weeks once, all my facebook status updates were lines from "No Children"--it was when I was going through a particularly ferocious battle (still ongoing, but I'm numb to it now) with my son's school system. An unwitting friend e-mailed me with heartfelt concern when it was "Marcy hopes she cuts herself shaving tomorrow; she hopes it bleeds all day long."

Fucking greatest song.

Martijn
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall

Post by Martijn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:26 pm

RITH wrote:I played that once with my girlfriend in the room.
She didn't like that.

There's not ALWAYS a message in the songs I choose to play!
I once saw him place a similar song live and Darnielle said something like "this is the kind of song you are practicing when your wife asks from the other room 'honey, what are you playing?'".

I used to be a Mountain Goats fan, but then I got over it. I'm still not sure whether this was because of the girl who confused the hell out of me by sort-of falling in love with me after seeing me at a Mountain Goats gig. (I have probably posted this somewhere in this thread already. I have about five anecdotes of my life.) Anyway, I always preferred the very early stuff, to which the Ghana compilation is a good introduction. Most people think it is way too lo-fi though (which it is, just not in a way that bothers me).

anders

Post by anders » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:35 pm

Heh, yeah, I got some strange looks when I played that sitting in the studio at uni last year. I think it was followed by HAIL SATAN TONIGHT, HAIL SATAN! Or maybe just before. "Why all the hate?"

I think Tallahassee is the best of the new studio recorded albums, but Sunset Tree is also amazing. My favourite Mountain Goats album is probably Full Force Galesburg, though. And Sweden.

darvé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve

Post by darvé » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:38 pm

alongwalkhome wrote: *Shock*

Well, he has so fucking many albums that I probably only have half of them!! My two absolute faves are Sunset Tree (it is one of my desert-island discs. A triumph) and Tallahassee; but Sweden, Get Lonely, We Shall All Be Healed...all great too. If muxtape were still alive, I'd make you one!

Can you listen on last.fm?
Thanks Marcy, Dennis and David.

I can't get onto Last.fm at work, and i'm out tonight, so i'll have a look around tomorrow night, i think i'll make Sunset Tree my first stop.

I didn't realise he (they? it's essentially a he right?) had so many records.
and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:41 pm

There's at least 16 official albums, and at least as many EPs and tons of bootlegs on top.

tervisel
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tervisel

Post by tervisel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:10 pm

I am a huge MG fan, all periods ! The 4AD albums, though, are kind of "hit and miss" for me :
talahassee : great !
we shall all be healed : average (but it includes top songs...)
sunset tree : a masterpiece !!! one of my ten records ever...
get lonely : under average.
heretic pride : as great as talahassee !

So, I won't buy the next one !

Mr Bear
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/cold_discovery

Post by Mr Bear » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:14 pm

anders wrote: I think Tallahassee is the best of the new studio recorded albums, but Sunset Tree is also amazing.
I agree with this. I'm long overdue a good old MGs listen actually. Later...

darvé

Post by darvé » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:24 am

So i've listened to Sunset Tree a couple of times this week, and i don't really know what i was expecting, and i think i need to listen to it a couple more times to start picking out the highlights, but it already feels like the kind of album i'll be going back to again and again.

Mostly i was trying to figure out who his voice reminded of and at various times i ended with Jeffrey Lewis, Jeff Mangum, Mike Scott, Ted Leo and Ian MacKaye, either way, i'm quite excited about seeing them live in 2 weeks.
means we've got a winner

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:53 pm

davo wrote:at various times i ended with Jeffrey Lewis, Jeff Mangum, Mike Scott, Ted Leo and Ian MacKaye
That there is an exact list of singers w/nasally voices (along w/Colin Clary) whose voices don't wind me up at all. The guy from Tullycraft and Neil Young both kind of make me want to do permanent damage to my eardrums with a Q-tip.

I feel like I talked Sunset Tree up too much w/a few folks (OK, maybe just island hopper!) but I think if you listen to it in the right frame of mind--when you're feeling a bit breast-clutchy (which is basically how I feel 85% of the time)--it will penetrate to your very soul.

You're gonna love him live, Dave. He's quirky, funny, vibrant, and just about the most enthusiastic dancer I have ever witnessed!

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:56 pm

alongwalkhome wrote: I feel like I talked Sunset Tree up too much w/a few folks (OK, maybe just island hopper!) but I think if you listen to it in the right frame of mind--when you're feeling a bit breast-clutchy (which is basically how I feel 85% of the time)--it will penetrate to your very soul.
I don't know about that - I always appreciate enthusiasm! I do love the album musically and lyrically but then I don't seem to fully get what some other people do out of it. Maybe I don't have a soul to penetrate!
I bought Tallahassee earlier today, so I shall be very much looking forward to that.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:40 pm

islandhopper wrote:Maybe I don't have a soul to penetrate!
Oh, I'm SURE that's it. Come to think of it, can you see your reflection in a mirror??!

Puh-lease. You're just not perpetually on the verge of tears like I am!
I bought Tallahassee earlier today, so I shall be very much looking forward to that.
Another good 'un. I was bopping along vacuuming to "Southwood Plantation Road" on the iPod earlier today.

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:01 pm

Older songs! I know this is an obvious one, but I love love love this performance:

the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

schlump
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by schlump » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:09 pm

gloom button wrote:Oh! I missed this. I would very much like to read that.
some anorak was gently indoctrinating me with mountain goats stuff at their house a while ago. i feel like i have been prepped. i'm finding myself dangerously endeared by the blog and internet writings of the singer, which is kind of like watching inside the actor's studio and being all, hey, ethan hawke, he's an okay guy, maybe he wasn't so oscar-lustingly desperate in great expectations after all; that is, endeared by personality rather than merit. so to the records, i think. i'd definitely like to read/welcome reports back on the book.

anders

Post by anders » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:36 pm

If you act quickly you can borrow my Mountain Goats records before I go away. (If not, for your information, last time I checked, which was only about a week ago, they had Sweden and !FULL FORCE GALESBURG! in Mono.)

I spent the morning reading the paper, drinking coffee, eating breakfast listening to Sweden, twice. A good start to the day.

And in reply to that video the Gloom posted, I love that performance as well, and even more, maybe, a video from the same show of Baboon. I can spend hours youtubing Mountain Goats. It's quite possibly the first thing I'll do when I get internet at home.

schlump
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by schlump » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:12 am

this sounds pretty jiving. i like some of kaki king's stuff a lot. i might go to one of their shows.

darvé

Post by darvé » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:22 am

Well, apart from being offered outside for a fight after asking some drunken fucks to be quiet (one for the talking at gigs thread maybe, but they must have racked up 10-15 fight offers over the course of the gig as well as some rather special lungingrightinyourfaceandaskingifyou'vegotaFUCKINGproblemthatthey'retalkingreallyfuckingloudlyoverthebandandSHALLWEGOOUTSIDETOFUCKINGSORTITOUT), only knowing the songs of the Sunset Tree (Dance Music and This Year) and having a girlfriend determined to drink away the fact that Lehman's collapse might cause her to lose her job which is a major worry, it was an ace night!

He's definately a character isn't he!
means we've got a winner

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:38 am

Oh gosh I hope your girlfriend doesn't lose her job! She doesn't work for them directly, or does she? Shit..

It was great hearing the songs off the new records that I'm not so familiar with, and realising I like them just as much as the records I listen to more. I'd love to hear them recorded just with that drum/guitar/bass line-up though-- somehow it seems to make them sound angrier (or something). And how brilliant is that Superchunk drummer? I like how he just seemed so happy to be playing on those songs.

darvé

Post by darvé » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:18 am

gloom button wrote:Oh gosh I hope your girlfriend doesn't lose her job! She doesn't work for them directly, or does she? Shit..
No, she doesn't work for Lehmans, but she works for the company that does their travel, obviously no Lehman's no need for a travel account. She'll find out more today as her boss was coming back from holiday yesterday.
gloom button wrote:And how brilliant is that Superchunk drummer? I like how he just seemed so happy to be playing on those songs.
He was well brilliant, thats how brilliant, i'm glad you told us who he was, i kind of thought he looked familiar.

I've had This year stuck in my head since last night now, and that's no bad thing.
means we've got a winner

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:11 pm

I hope it works out for her!

Today I have decided or remembered that the We Shall All Be Healed record is utterly, utterly amazing. I think I'd recommend it over the Sunset Tree (gasp) as the accessible-but-brilliant introduction to them, even. Not that anything he's done is really that inaccessible.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:18 pm

The chap who drove my band round on its last tour was a big Mountain Goats fan and it was ace getting to listen to them so much. The one song that stood out for me, though, i THINK Going To Georgia - i THINK. i also think it may be on an album called something like Zopilote Machine or sommat similar. Is this one worth getting?
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug