Joanna Gruesome

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6859
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56 am
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:32 pm

heliolithic wrote:Has anyone received their LP from Fortuna Pop yet?
Yep.
not really here

User avatar
timahall
Posts: 1154
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:43 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/timahall
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by timahall » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:41 pm

heliolithic wrote:Has anyone received their LP from Fortuna Pop yet?
Yeah, straight away.

richpassivity
Posts: 1441
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Eastleigh,Hampshire, England

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by richpassivity » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:44 am

Such a great record!
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

User avatar
linus
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by linus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:32 am

Dan Stubbs of the NME reviews the 'Sugarcrush' single:
Given that this Cardiff quintet's name is a weak pun on a harp-toting cult indie star, it's fair to say they probably haven't set their sights on reaching the top of the hit parade. But even bearing that in mind, 'Sugarcrush' sounds like it was recorded on a rusty Walkman, and the vocals are so buried they're barely a whisper. For twee-pop devotees only.
Yeh, whatever, Grandad

User avatar
leon
Posts: 1015
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:43 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86
Location: Bradford

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by leon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:37 am

In that case I need to get hold of a rusty Walkman.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

sweepingthenation
Posts: 2023
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:31 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation
Contact:

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by sweepingthenation » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Dan Stubbs of the NME wrote:For twee-pop devotees only.
Presumably including the fellow NME writer who gave the album 7/10. (Still too low but, y'know, better than the sole monthly mag review I've seen)

richpassivity
Posts: 1441
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:55 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Eastleigh,Hampshire, England

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by richpassivity » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:15 pm

a fog of ideas wrote:Dan Stubbs of the NME reviews the 'Sugarcrush' single:
Given that this Cardiff quintet's name is a weak pun on a harp-toting cult indie star, it's fair to say they probably haven't set their sights on reaching the top of the hit parade. But even bearing that in mind, 'Sugarcrush' sounds like it was recorded on a rusty Walkman, and the vocals are so buried they're barely a whisper. For twee-pop devotees only.
Yeh, whatever, Grandad
Ludicrous review. Sounds like he'd written it based on the name, song title and label before he'd given the single a listen.
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

djbones
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:19 pm

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by djbones » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Bought mine today on the strength of first 20 seconds of first track, on Spotify. I hope the album is all as good as that. Phew.

sweepingthenation
Posts: 2023
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:31 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation
Contact:

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by sweepingthenation » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Bloody hell, now they're playing a Pitchfork night in New York.

I can probably cross them off my 'affordable' list for next year, can't I?

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6859
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56 am
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:40 pm

sweepingthenation wrote:Bloody hell, now they're playing a Pitchfork night in New York.

I can probably cross them off my 'affordable' list for next year, can't I?
I'd say don't cross them off. They still don't have bookers for the UK because I assume they want to keep it DIY.

User avatar
boney
Posts: 1767
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:18 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by boney » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:16 pm

sweepingthenation wrote:Bloody hell, now they're playing a Pitchfork night in New York.

I can probably cross them off my 'affordable' list for next year, can't I?
They got a Welsh Arts Council grant to enable that. Go for 'em, they'd be ace for it.

sweepingthenation
Posts: 2023
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:31 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation
Contact:

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by sweepingthenation » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:24 pm

boney wrote:
sweepingthenation wrote:Bloody hell, now they're playing a Pitchfork night in New York.

I can probably cross them off my 'affordable' list for next year, can't I?
They got a Welsh Arts Council grant to enable that. Go for 'em, they'd be ace for it.
Oh, they've always been on the list, and largely right at the top, but I'm of a mind to hold off until the tour is rescheduled in case they end up playing Nottingham a couple of weeks later or similar timeframe (they did suggest it might not happen til April)

User avatar
linus
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by linus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:15 pm

we are rather hoping they can play nottingham, particularly as they had to cancel this leg of their recent album launch tour... reckon/hope they are or will be enough of a draw to get good turn outs in both leicester and nottingham though, mr nation, think we should both be ok

sweepingthenation
Posts: 2023
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:31 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation
Contact:

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by sweepingthenation » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:13 pm



Um, yeah.

User avatar
linus
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by linus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:23 pm

I like it, it's like the internet vomited out of it's nostrils

just with less porn

User avatar
Jay
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by Jay » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:26 am

Given that this Cardiff quintet's name is a weak pun on a harp-toting cult indie star, it's fair to say they probably haven't set their sights on reaching the top of the hit parade. But even bearing that in mind, 'Sugarcrush' sounds like it was recorded on a rusty Walkman, and the vocals are so buried they're barely a whisper. For twee-pop devotees only.
Like it, don't like it, it doesn't make any difference, but at least try to make sense. I'll bet you a pound to a penny that this single was the loudest, fastest, noisiest, brashest song he's reviewed in months, unless he's reviewing death metal for Kerrang!, which he isn't. That's a whole new definition of 'twee' that I've never heard of before. It always used to mean quaint, pretty and sentimental. We may hate the word, and it is used to criticise, but such a description wouldn't be far off the money for some of the music I listen to. It is pretty. But to describe Joanna Gruesome as 'twee-pop' is just moronic. Play Sugarcrush at full tilt from the jam stall at your local tea dance and see how pretty and sweet the clientele think it is.

Dan Stubbs, you're an idiot.

carney
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 3:06 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/drcarney
Location: The East Anglia

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by carney » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:59 pm

a fog of ideas wrote:I like it, it's like the internet vomited out of it's nostrils

just with less porn
I dig the song, but find the video pretty annoying. Brings back too many bad memories of geocities websites,

BOREDcore
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:45 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by BOREDcore » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:44 pm

a fog of ideas wrote:Dan Stubbs of the NME reviews the 'Sugarcrush' single:
Given that this Cardiff quintet's name is a weak pun on a harp-toting cult indie star, it's fair to say they probably haven't set their sights on reaching the top of the hit parade. But even bearing that in mind, 'Sugarcrush' sounds like it was recorded on a rusty Walkman, and the vocals are so buried they're barely a whisper. For twee-pop devotees only.
Yeh, whatever, Grandad
Eh, NME writers at the moment don't seem to have a massive breadth of Music Knowledge. I'm not doubting their passion and love for Music but they seem (from the majority of content at least) to be conservative in their choices (with the importance of a small c) obviously it'd be super lovely if NME were a lot more favorable about what is a really good record (the album and the single) but I think a lot of the kind of people I know who read NME religiously wouldn't necessarily dig what Joanna Gruesome are doing, but the fact they are there being introduced to a massive audience, is fantastic, not just for them (and deservedly so) but for Indie music in general.

sweepingthenation
Posts: 2023
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:31 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation
Contact:

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by sweepingthenation » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:14 pm

BOREDcore wrote:obviously it'd be super lovely if NME were a lot more favorable about what is a really good record (the album and the single) but I think a lot of the kind of people I know who read NME religiously wouldn't necessarily dig what Joanna Gruesome are doing, but the fact they are there being introduced to a massive audience, is fantastic, not just for them (and deservedly so) but for Indie music in general.
They're on the cover this week. (On the foldout bit, with loads of other more famous people, but the cover nonetheless)

BOREDcore
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:45 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Joanna Gruesome

Post by BOREDcore » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:23 pm

sweepingthenation wrote:
BOREDcore wrote:obviously it'd be super lovely if NME were a lot more favorable about what is a really good record (the album and the single) but I think a lot of the kind of people I know who read NME religiously wouldn't necessarily dig what Joanna Gruesome are doing, but the fact they are there being introduced to a massive audience, is fantastic, not just for them (and deservedly so) but for Indie music in general.
They're on the cover this week. (On the foldout bit, with loads of other more famous people, but the cover nonetheless)
which is awesome. :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests