Ela Orleans

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Ela Orleans

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Anyone else a fan?

Over the past 12-18 months I've been beguiled by her releases. I bought one of her records on a whim from Norman Records and every time I hear something new I find myself liking her stuff more and more. The record that first grabbed me was 'Tumult In Clouds' which sold out on first press and has just been repressed in a beautiful digipack CD and double vinyl.

for more information check out her website:

http://elaorleans.wordpress.com/

I'm a little bit excited that I get to see her play live this Saturday.
not really here

northernlight
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Ela Orleans

Post by northernlight » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:55 pm

Tumult in Clouds was one of my favourite albums of last year. I just keep seeming to return to it and have enjoyed it more with every listen. It's quite experimental, electronic music, with her vocals. It has hooks in it that make it far superior to similar releases by perhaps more established artists. Wallpaper music it certainly is not.

As she is based in Glasgow, I have had the chance to see her perform live several times. Her live set is usually enhanced by some pretty impressive visuals via use of film clips (usually old ones). Well worth checking out her records, as well as seeing her play.

Trev - hope you enjoy her gig at the weekend! I am wondering if this will be her first gig in London?

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:50 am

I haven't got any of her releases yet, but there's a few *amazing* songs she's put out...these two are my favourites. Would LOVE to see her live.

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by lynsosaurus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:07 am

I've been lucky enough to see her live a few times in Glasgow and it's always been incredible. I haven't actually heard all of Tumult in Clouds yet, I must get hold of a copy. I love how she manages to be completely different to everything else I'm listening to but still retains this achingly lovely nostalgic feeling in her music. I don't know if I'm explaining that well.

How was the gig, Trev?

Trev

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:12 am

lynsosaurus wrote:
How was the gig, Trev?
The support bands weren't my thing - but she was just amazing. The songs drifted and shifted from gentle to glitchy with pop hooks galore too and she had some stunning projections running while she was playing. Yep, it was brilliant.

I should have a few copies of 'Tumult In Clouds' in the Odd Box distro soon.
not really here

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Have you heard the new album Trev? I'm going to assume you have since you're putting you're putting her gig on. Is it any good? I liked the single, though it seemed a bit lighter than the 'Tumult in Clouds' stuff (it's the only one I've got).

This quote from the Clash music article seemed a bit odd:
Deliriously inventive, the hugely colourful backdrop gently unfolds against the singer's oh-so-English voice.
She sounds about as English as Nico.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:36 pm

I've heard a stream of the new record. It's ace. It's definitely a bit more 'pop' or more like a 'dance' feel/flavour to it. It's still brilliant though.
not really here

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:55 pm

Wasn't too keen on the last one in the end, but this sounds triffic. The Pastels are on it an all.

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:56 pm

andyi wrote:Wasn't too keen on the last one in the end, but this sounds triffic. The Pastels are on it an all.

Love the last one. But this one is even better!
not really here