Grimes

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

noLooking

Grimes

Post by noLooking » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:01 pm

Grimes! We all like Grimes don't we?

I liked her before, but I never really loved her 'til Art Angels, which is my favourite record of the last year. I like how pop it is, but it's an odd pop really, more of a retro, nineties feel rather than what passes these days, makes me a bit nostalgic for when there were tunes you could whistle, this was all fields, I'm 78 you know, etc. But it's very fun, which is the main thing.

The other main thing is that bit in 'Butterfly', where I was convinced for ages that she said "Take a shit, maybe not", til I realised that I'd spent six months thinking that Grimes had written a song about going for a dump. At which point I looked up the lyrics, where it in fact says "Take his shit, maybe not", which could be even stranger if you think about it. But I think I prefer what I thought before.

Another main thing about Grimes is that I find it hard to think of her existing in real life, I saw the footage of her at Glastonbury and she's like a fairy version of Tigger, all bouncy and flitting about. I just can't imagine her going to the shops or something, which is probably a good thing, all the best pop stars seem to exist in a world of their own I think. Not sure about this new one from some soundtrack or other, less obviously fizzy but it does grow on me.

So yeah. Grimes!

xandmatt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/xandmatt

Re: Grimes

Post by xandmatt » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:45 pm

I've only really listened to Art Angels a couple of times, but I really like Kill V. Maim. I must've listened to the Song Exploder podcast on that song quite a few times...

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:35 pm

I've only really heard California. But I love it!
Toot toot.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:48 pm

I liked something on the radio the other day which I think was one of hers.

That's the end of my indispensible contribution to the thread.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:29 pm

humblebee wrote:I liked something on the radio the other day which I think was one of hers.

Better than it dying on it's arse altogether after two posts, which seemed to be the direction of travel before now. I'm all for bland comments of vague approval, keep em up!

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:54 pm

andyi wrote:
humblebee wrote:I liked something on the radio the other day which I think was one of hers.

Better than it dying on it's arse altogether after two posts, which seemed to be the direction of travel before now. I'm all for bland comments of vague approval, keep em up!
I like Grimes and this song is great. That sort of thing?

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:52 pm

islandhopper wrote:I like Grimes and this song is great. That sort of thing?

Wow. That's great. I mean, gorgeous singing and retro synth thing but I love at the end how it sort of refuses to just go away and turns a bit dark.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:29 am

Good Lord. <3 <3 <3 I'd never quite clicked with Grimes before - always felt a bit too cold - but this song is incredible. Howwwwwwww. Wow. It's like a blanket that you desperately need but don't have. Or something. You can't possibly not know what I mean, can you?

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:34 pm

crystalball wrote:Good Lord. <3 <3 <3 I'd never quite clicked with Grimes before - always felt a bit too cold - but this song is incredible. Howwwwwwww. Wow. It's like a blanket that you desperately need but don't have. Or something. You can't possibly not know what I mean, can you?
I thought it was a bit odd that no-one had heard Oblivion before, it being her most famous song, but "famous" is only a relative term with most things these days isn't it, I didn't hear it myself until I sought it out.

But in terms of its warmth, I think it's easy to get hold of the wrong end of the stick with Visions-era Grimes. Certainly, the further you get on with that album, the more song-based it becomes; and they feel less like technical exercises in electronica and more beautiful, emotive revelations, a kind of comforting sweep that makes you all feel warm and fuzzy. This is my favourite I think, it's one of those songs that has a touch of Christmas about it for some unfathomable reason.

I keep reading all sorts of stuff about Grimes' experience as a woman in electronic music and it's really interesting, as well as predictably depressing. This is typical:
I've only worked in a studio in writing camps for other people, which were odd experiences. I wasn't allowed to touch a computer, for example, even though guys in the studio were allowed to. I obviously know how to use a computer and I know how to produce, but I had to tell the engineer what to do if I wanted to do anything, which I thought was pretty crazy in the 21st century....you know, I came in with experience as a producer and I wasn't allowed to produce — so how could any woman who didn't have experience as a producer ever learn how to produce? It was just a little odd in that regard. If there are stereotypes of, "Women do certain jobs in music and men do certain jobs," the way the studio works, it's not easy to escape that.
http://www.npr.org/2016/04/27/455769676 ... ith-grimes

There's also lots of stuff that I can't be arsed to look for about men hassling her to let them come and produce her, because as a woman in electronica she's seen as a voice. Whereas, as she pointed out, producing the stuff is her job; if you take that away it isn't Grimes anymore. I think Grimes puts forward a really positive image for women in music and it's interesting that the first reaction of a lot of men is to want to control that.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:09 pm

Grimes just did a bunch of new videos for Art Angels songs. This is the best I've watched so far, but then it is a stunning song as well.

I like it when someone has a good video game, too many people these days either don't do them at all or just put some found footage together in a really boring way or just film, like, some trees or a sunrise or an insect or some shit where nothing happens and I just think, Why? Who's going to sit through that? How have you actually promoted your song?.

They don't even have to be that fancy, I mean, this is just Grimes and her mate arsing about in fancy dress, the last two Trust Fund videos have been someone failing to make a basketball shot and the band doing dodgy jumps onto a crash mat over and again, but they're funny and entertaining and it's worth the bother, even if just for general goodwill.

Pop bands - make the effort.