General Chat About Films And That

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Re: General Chat About Films And That

Post by tompony » Thu Aug 09, 2012 13:48

You add films to a list and you can set them as high or normal priority. Then, whenever you're due a film, they send you one from the list, preferring anything high-priority if they've got it in. So I guess with more obscure films that they might only have a couple of copies of, it will just depend on whether they're in stock or not.

But yeah, if your list is loaded with a bunch of stuff you want to see and you watch them fairly promptly then you can't go wrong really.

linus

Post by linus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 14:21

Be prepared for the odd disappointment, Ray, sometimes you do have to wait ages to see some things but other times I've got things straightaway- as long as you're not too demanding and appreciate you sometimes have to wait it's mostly good- I've been with Lovefilm a couple of years now, it's not perfect (the ratings system is meaningless and the customer reviews are inevitably a bit shit but they do carry a lot of titles and do turn up some obscure corkers

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu Aug 09, 2012 14:29

Maybe Netflix in the U.K. is different, but it's definitely not just blockbuster type films at all in the U.S. Anything I've ever looked for has been available, even things like The Shield Around the K. I also like the instant watching that comes with some Netflix subscriptions, and I've never had to wait for the top choices in my queue, and if I put a dvd in the mailbox, even though are mail is picked up quite late in the afternoon, I get a new DVD in two days.

I think at least a couple people here have Netflix in the U.K., as I seem to remember some facebook posts linked to Netflix. It might be worth asking about.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 16:04

squirrelboutique wrote:Maybe Netflix in the U.K. is different, but it's definitely not just blockbuster type films at all in the U.S. Anything I've ever looked for has been available, even things like The Shield Around the K. I also like the instant watching that comes with some Netflix subscriptions, and I've never had to wait for the top choices in my queue, and if I put a dvd in the mailbox, even though are mail is picked up quite late in the afternoon, I get a new DVD in two days.

I think at least a couple people here have Netflix in the U.K., as I seem to remember some facebook posts linked to Netflix. It might be worth asking about.

It looks like UK Netflix is web only, no DVDs :-/
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by lynsosaurus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 16:31

The UK version of Netflix is RUBBISH. They have hardly anything decent. I subscribed to Lovefilm for ages, though, and was pretty pleased with the extent of the collection they have on offer. I think, over two years, there were only three or four films I wanted to get and couldn't. Admittedly, there were some films that were on my priority list for ages and they never turned up, but for the most part they were pretty good and sometimes it was quite nice to be sent stuff that I hadn't specifically picked out that day. It's a pretty good way to get into film again too, especially with no tv. I'd definitely recommend it, at least for a trial basis.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu Aug 09, 2012 16:44

It's too bad it's not good there! I'm not a person who downloads shows and films off torrents and things, so Netflix makes me happy here. Plus, the streaming works through the Wii, so we can watch things together.

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 17:07

roundbitsofplastic wrote:I had a look, they have GOOD SHIT.

Did you sign up in the end, Leon? Do you know anyone who's done it?

It feels so oldschool paying to hire films..
I didn't, but all this talk is making me want to.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

tompony

Post by tompony » Thu Aug 09, 2012 17:16

My SUPER BONUS codes are actually for two free months, not three! But still. I have two of them if anyone would like to use them, just let me know.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 09:59

tompony wrote:My SUPER BONUS codes are actually for two free months, not three! But still. I have two of them if anyone would like to use them, just let me know.
I think I would like to relieve of one of those, Tome, but I'll leave it til I move house if that's okay? If you send me anything before then I will lose it to fuck, cos I;m like that.

Mark Hibbett once called me "feckless" in a public place.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

tompony

Post by tompony » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:04

That's cool, just give me a shout when you're moved and I'll ping it over to you.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 13:14

tompony wrote:That's cool, just give me a shout when you're moved and I'll ping it over to you.
Acecakes! Cheers, Tom :-)

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 18:32

So I just signed up for Lovefilm, and I have a smashing list of films on my want list, but I'm trying to find a particular French film which I saw about 20 years ago in the middle of the night on BBC2 or Channel 4 but can't remember what its called. Perhaps someone knows what it is from the following hazy summary:

I think the title was something to do with chess or draughts, or themed around black and white, um, or something. May have been in English or French. It looked like a late 60s or early 70s film. It was about a guy trying to find out what happened to his sister (who'd disappeared), who had gone to live with this girl in a big old house in the country. This girl's parents had died and her aunt and uncle (I think) were her guardians, but they were slowly poisoning her to get her inheritance.

Ring any bells? It was ace and I'd love to see it again. I've searched various websites which list French/Belgian films in the past but never found it.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

linus

Post by linus » Sat Aug 18, 2012 18:38

where's ben breakfast in the ruins when you need him?

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25

Love Film update: I mentioned it to my new housemate and she;s been thinking about it for ages too. This is a good thing.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

tompony

Post by tompony » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43

You ready for that code? I've picked up my viewing again now that the Olympics is over, and found that my list is full of films that I don't remember selecting. That's QUITE FUN, though!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:46

tompony wrote:You ready for that code? I've picked up my viewing again now that the Olympics is over, and found that my list is full of films that I don't remember selecting. That's QUITE FUN, though!
Not just yet, Tom. I'm moving this week, but I got HELLA SHIT going on on top of that.

What am I saying, yeah, go on, send me the code and I will totes try not to lose it before I'm ready to use it in a couple of weeks. Could you either PM it to me or send it to my gmail address? Thanks!

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

tompony

Post by tompony » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:01

Yep, will do later on!

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Wed Aug 22, 2012 16:28

saw "the avengers". this was a big, dumb, friendly movie. politics were buried under a lot of corny jokes and explosions and the incredible hulk's incredible temper tantrums. lots of talking over an empty story w/ lots of plotholes, which you could overlook because the movie was fast-paced and busy enough to take your mind off of your problems. all the actors delivered capable performances. mark ruffalo was the best hulk i've seen since bill bixby.

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Sat Sep 15, 2012 15:03

i'm not saying Prometheus didn't have problems, but it was a lot better than i expected, and it had all the necessary ingredients to be great

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Sat Sep 15, 2012 16:51

here are the things i would have changed. charlize theron should have been a robot. the movie should have ended with all the humans dead and only the robots left to wander forever on the moon. vickers carrying david's head around, the two constantly getting on each others nerves, searching in vain for organic life. peter o' toole should have been cast as old man weyland. maybe this shouldn't have been an alien prequel, it could have been a pretty good story in its own right if ridley scott had just listened to me!