General Chat About Films And That

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

this clump of trees

Re: General Chat About Films And That

Post by this clump of trees » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:14 am

i saw the green lantern movie the other day. and i thought "why did they call it green lantern?? they should have called it 'GREEN SCREEN' instead!" (as the whole movie seemed to have been shot in front of a green screen)

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Anyone do the Love Film, thing? I'm considering doing it cos I've never really watched films but have been watching more and more over the last year or two. I kinda like pretty random shit film wise, will they have obscure stuff?

I think it's about 6 quid per month for the hard copy versions (I don't want to stream cos I HATE buffering and skipping and errors and shit) for 3 discs per month, which seems okay.

I'm gonna spend a lot of time on my own over the next few months, and I am gonna be very poor, so I figure this might be a reasonably investment.

Thoughts?
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:09 pm

You should be able to search their site to see if they've got stuff you like Ray. I was considering it a few months ago and as a test I searched for Godard and they had plenty. Thats not that obscure, but it gives an impression that they might have a decent selection.

When I searched on Netflix they seemed to only have modern blockbuster crap, or at least you could only see a selection of what they had on offer, which means they have fuck all probably.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:15 pm

I had a look, they have GOOD SHIT.

Did you sign up in the end, Leon? Do you know anyone who's done it?

It feels so oldschool paying to hire films..

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm a LoveFilm subscriber. I paid for one disc at a time and they bumped me up to two discs (with no change of price) within a month. I dunno if that's common behaviour but I found it quite pleasing! They seem to have a decent film library, and when you set films as 'high priority' they usually seem to turn up pretty swiftly. The only thing is, it's only as good value as you make it - I haven't watched any of their films in a couple of months due to watching various sporting events instead and general "summer, it's nice out, let's not watch films" stuff so I've effectively wasted a few quid. There is an option to take a "payment holiday" if you're not going to watch anything for a while though.

I've got some "first three months for free" codes going spare, if you do decide to go for it.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:56 pm

tompony wrote:I'm a LoveFilm subscriber. I paid for one disc at a time and they bumped me up to two discs (with no change of price) within a month. I dunno if that's common behaviour but I found it quite pleasing! They seem to have a decent film library, and when you set films as 'high priority' they usually seem to turn up pretty swiftly. The only thing is, it's only as good value as you make it - I haven't watched any of their films in a couple of months due to watching various sporting events instead and general "summer, it's nice out, let's not watch films" stuff so I've effectively wasted a few quid. There is an option to take a "payment holiday" if you're not going to watch anything for a while though.

I've got some "first three months for free" codes going spare, if you do decide to go for it.
Cheers, Tom, I might just take you up on that offer.

I don't have a TV, so if I get a DVD I'm likely to watch that over anything else. And I'm about as interested in sport as my physique would suggest, so I'm hoping I'll get my money's worth out of it.

Still, I'm not one for commitment...

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Jane

Post by Jane » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:23 pm

I do LoveFilm too and find it pretty good. You can wait some time for more obscure films but as long as you have enough stuff on your rental list it shouldn't be a problem. Generally only about 2 days between putting a film back in the post to getting the next one. If you're going to watch all the films you're paying for then I think it's a good service.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Do you request specific films or just have a list and they send you whatever? Do they let you know how long you're likely to wait for the more obscure titles? Or like, um, how do you know when yr gonna get yr film?

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

tompony

Post by tompony » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:48 pm

You add films to a list and you can set them as high or normal priority. Then, whenever you're due a film, they send you one from the list, preferring anything high-priority if they've got it in. So I guess with more obscure films that they might only have a couple of copies of, it will just depend on whether they're in stock or not.

But yeah, if your list is loaded with a bunch of stuff you want to see and you watch them fairly promptly then you can't go wrong really.

linus

Post by linus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Be prepared for the odd disappointment, Ray, sometimes you do have to wait ages to see some things but other times I've got things straightaway- as long as you're not too demanding and appreciate you sometimes have to wait it's mostly good- I've been with Lovefilm a couple of years now, it's not perfect (the ratings system is meaningless and the customer reviews are inevitably a bit shit but they do carry a lot of titles and do turn up some obscure corkers

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Maybe Netflix in the U.K. is different, but it's definitely not just blockbuster type films at all in the U.S. Anything I've ever looked for has been available, even things like The Shield Around the K. I also like the instant watching that comes with some Netflix subscriptions, and I've never had to wait for the top choices in my queue, and if I put a dvd in the mailbox, even though are mail is picked up quite late in the afternoon, I get a new DVD in two days.

I think at least a couple people here have Netflix in the U.K., as I seem to remember some facebook posts linked to Netflix. It might be worth asking about.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:04 pm

squirrelboutique wrote:Maybe Netflix in the U.K. is different, but it's definitely not just blockbuster type films at all in the U.S. Anything I've ever looked for has been available, even things like The Shield Around the K. I also like the instant watching that comes with some Netflix subscriptions, and I've never had to wait for the top choices in my queue, and if I put a dvd in the mailbox, even though are mail is picked up quite late in the afternoon, I get a new DVD in two days.

I think at least a couple people here have Netflix in the U.K., as I seem to remember some facebook posts linked to Netflix. It might be worth asking about.

It looks like UK Netflix is web only, no DVDs :-/

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by lynsosaurus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:31 pm

The UK version of Netflix is RUBBISH. They have hardly anything decent. I subscribed to Lovefilm for ages, though, and was pretty pleased with the extent of the collection they have on offer. I think, over two years, there were only three or four films I wanted to get and couldn't. Admittedly, there were some films that were on my priority list for ages and they never turned up, but for the most part they were pretty good and sometimes it was quite nice to be sent stuff that I hadn't specifically picked out that day. It's a pretty good way to get into film again too, especially with no tv. I'd definitely recommend it, at least for a trial basis.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:44 pm

It's too bad it's not good there! I'm not a person who downloads shows and films off torrents and things, so Netflix makes me happy here. Plus, the streaming works through the Wii, so we can watch things together.

leon

Post by leon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:07 pm

roundbitsofplastic wrote:I had a look, they have GOOD SHIT.

Did you sign up in the end, Leon? Do you know anyone who's done it?

It feels so oldschool paying to hire films..
I didn't, but all this talk is making me want to.

tompony

Post by tompony » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:16 pm

My SUPER BONUS codes are actually for two free months, not three! But still. I have two of them if anyone would like to use them, just let me know.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:59 am

tompony wrote:My SUPER BONUS codes are actually for two free months, not three! But still. I have two of them if anyone would like to use them, just let me know.
I think I would like to relieve of one of those, Tome, but I'll leave it til I move house if that's okay? If you send me anything before then I will lose it to fuck, cos I;m like that.

Mark Hibbett once called me "feckless" in a public place.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

tompony

Post by tompony » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:04 pm

That's cool, just give me a shout when you're moved and I'll ping it over to you.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:14 pm

tompony wrote:That's cool, just give me a shout when you're moved and I'll ping it over to you.
Acecakes! Cheers, Tom :-)

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

leon

Post by leon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:32 pm

So I just signed up for Lovefilm, and I have a smashing list of films on my want list, but I'm trying to find a particular French film which I saw about 20 years ago in the middle of the night on BBC2 or Channel 4 but can't remember what its called. Perhaps someone knows what it is from the following hazy summary:

I think the title was something to do with chess or draughts, or themed around black and white, um, or something. May have been in English or French. It looked like a late 60s or early 70s film. It was about a guy trying to find out what happened to his sister (who'd disappeared), who had gone to live with this girl in a big old house in the country. This girl's parents had died and her aunt and uncle (I think) were her guardians, but they were slowly poisoning her to get her inheritance.

Ring any bells? It was ace and I'd love to see it again. I've searched various websites which list French/Belgian films in the past but never found it.