holidays/vacations

User avatar
lynsosaurus
Posts: 3469
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 18:13
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Auld Reekie
Contact:

Post by lynsosaurus » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:03

Colin wrote:
Colin wrote:I've just seen flights and four nights' accommodation in Barcelona advertised for £159. I can't tell you how tempting that sounds right now.
What a load of bollocks. The cheapest I could get for a flight leaving a week on Monday and staying in a hotel that was actually in Barcelona was about £350. Looks like I'm staying at home then.
Colin, you can get cheap flights to Barcelona from some of the budget airlines. Ryanair and Globespan both fly there, and Easyjet do as well, although perhaps not directly from Glasgow. It might be worth looking into that, and then getting a hostel or pension for a couple of nights, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than £350.
You can search for hostels, guesthouses and budget hotels on this site and you can get some pretty good deals, even if you don't want to stay in a hostel dorm.

I've been to Barcelona alone a couple of times, and it was absolutely fine. This is probably a great time to go because it won't be too hot so you could do a lot of walking around during the day. I'm sure there are some Barcelona residents on here that you could meet up with as well.

sarahluv
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 18:28
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: London

Post by sarahluv » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:45

as lyns says the little pensions on hostelwrold are much cheaper, about £18 a night. i can recommend a couple if you need any help.

User avatar
Colin
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 23:56
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Post by Colin » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:47

Thanks you two, but I've already booked this London trip as a kind of replacement. I do want to go to Barcelona at some point though.

yubo
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 16:07

Post by yubo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 14:37

hello!
I'm in Glasgow! at the Apple store! I'm suffering from internet withdrawal.
I think I'm going to take Monday off work and catch up on the internetting but until then, it's been lovely meeting everybody. :)

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Post by a layer of chips » Thu Oct 11, 2007 14:38

yubo! Natalie left her Guiness fudge here!

That sounds rude.

yubo
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 16:07

Post by yubo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 07:52

tastyzine wrote:yubo! Natalie left her Guiness fudge here!

That sounds rude.
heh, we were joking about how eager you were to unmelt it in the fridge...

So after about 23 hours (!) of travelling, I've finally arrived home and am nicely showered and in bed catching up on internet even though I should be sleeping. Thanks those of you who put me up for the night and took me out to meet people and thanks everyone else for coming out to meet me. I had a lovely time!

SophieC
Posts: 3978
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:36
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec
Location: bumtown

Post by SophieC » Tue Oct 16, 2007 07:43

yubo wrote:
tastyzine wrote:yubo! Natalie left her Guiness fudge here!

That sounds rude.
heh, we were joking about how eager you were to unmelt it in the fridge...

So after about 23 hours (!) of travelling, I've finally arrived home and am nicely showered and in bed catching up on internet even though I should be sleeping. Thanks those of you who put me up for the night and took me out to meet people and thanks everyone else for coming out to meet me. I had a lovely time!
Hey Yubo, when you releasing your angry polemical documentary about the lifecycle of the cod?
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Post by a layer of chips » Tue Oct 16, 2007 07:46

Stop it. Be quiet.

I'll be doing an American college tour with that in 'the fall' of 2008.

The 2009 Nobel Peace Prize is already mine.

yubo
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 16:07

Post by yubo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 23:07

I think combined we have a total of 5 GB of photos/videos. Your countries are too beautiful.
Sadly my video of Sam's Cod impersonation, while visably appealing, doesn't have a great soundtrack. "I'm not a seal". I'll post it somewhere soon once I get around to sorting through all those piccies.

User avatar
Contravene
Posts: 1384
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 19:14
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: This London
Contact:

Post by Contravene » Tue Oct 16, 2007 23:36

Anyone fancy coming on holiday with me, in a travelling companion type arrangement. I'm scared going anywhere on my own.

yubo
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 16:07

Post by yubo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:54

ha. It definately helps to have a wingman.
Butt.

User avatar
Jeezy Creezy
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 16:13
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: the wrong side of the tracks

Post by Jeezy Creezy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 14:50

I'm finding it hard to contain my excitement! Going travelling in Autumn and off too book it next weekend in London. I was fine till now (decided a few months ago) but now that we're going to book it I've been telling everyone.I just told me supervisor and he looked like he nearly had a heart attack at the thought of me leaving (mwoah ha ha). He soon recovered and suggested being a scuba diving instructor. Great idea!

Me and two of my dearest school buddies. One just suggested doing San Fran- LA- cook Islands - NZ - Oz - Fiji -Thailand. I'm now more excited because my dad and his family live in LA and they can take us out and about to Vegas and Grand Canyon and stuff and put us up and feed us.

Thing is I really want to see China and maybe Japan. Has anyone done a travelling spree in that part of the world which included China and the other places I've mentioned?
Sarcasm was the lowest form of wit. Now there's you.

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:33

Jeezy Creezy wrote: Thing is I really want to see China and maybe Japan. Has anyone done a travelling spree in that part of the world which included China and the other places I've mentioned?
I've been to Thaiand a couple of times, but only passing through. I lived in Cambodia for a while and that was pretty bloody ace. If you cross form Thailand to Cambodia you should go through Koh Kong - it's the least likely place to get scammed and Koh Kong has the most trees I have ever seen EVER.

User avatar
darvé
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve
Location: London

Post by darvé » Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:39

I so want to go to Cambodia, and Laos, and Vietnam too. Basically, a nice loop Bangkok to Bangkok.

I've done Thailand to Singapore overland through Malaysia which was ace and Malaysia a couple of times seperate to that too, also all of Oz except the East coast - it's full of 'gap year twats' now drinking their way between Sydney and Cairns, i just don't fancy getting caught up in that.

Havent done China or Japan though i'm afraid, but i'll be glad to offer any advice/tips on the above

User avatar
Jeezy Creezy
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 16:13
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: the wrong side of the tracks

Post by Jeezy Creezy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:39

Round Bits of Plastic - That sounds great especially the bit about the trees. I think I've got driad blood in me somewhere. A friend of mine has a pal in Cambodia too so that could be a resource I leech off of. Thanks a lot!
Last edited by Jeezy Creezy on Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:44, edited 2 times in total.
Sarcasm was the lowest form of wit. Now there's you.

User avatar
Jeezy Creezy
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 16:13
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: the wrong side of the tracks

Post by Jeezy Creezy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:42

davo wrote:I so want to go to Cambodia, and Laos, and Vietnam too. Basically, a nice loop Bangkok to Bangkok.

I've done Thailand to Singapore overland through Malaysia which was ace and Malaysia a couple of times seperate to that too, also all of Oz except the East coast - it's full of 'gap year twats' now drinking their way between Sydney and Cairns, i just don't fancy getting caught up in that.

Havent done China or Japan though i'm afraid, but i'll be glad to offer any advice/tips on the above
I wouldn't fancy that either althugh my alkie friends (sorry girls) probably would love it. Another friend recommended the west ccoast for being sparsely populated but amazing. There's just so much but I thinnk we'll be away 6 months sp deffinately doable. Did I mention how excited I am?
Sarcasm was the lowest form of wit. Now there's you.

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:43

Jeezy Creezy wrote:That sounds great. I think I've got driad blood in me somewhere. A friend of mine has a pal in Cambodia too so that could be a resource I leech off of. Thanks a lot!
Oooh where abouts? I recomend Kampot as the loveliest place I've ever been. Also Mondulkiri, even if it's a pain in the arse to get too. Avoid Sihanoukville, it's horrible.

User avatar
Jeezy Creezy
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 16:13
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: the wrong side of the tracks

Post by Jeezy Creezy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:48

I'm writing all this down. Dunno where he's from - he's an internet pal of a good friend of mine. I have friends in oz and nz too who are happy to advise and put me up (or put up with me more like) oh and my first ever boyf lives in nz too - i'm sure i can emotionally blackmail him into hospitality.
Sarcasm was the lowest form of wit. Now there's you.

User avatar
darvé
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve
Location: London

Post by darvé » Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:54

Jeezy Creezy wrote:
davo wrote:I so want to go to Cambodia, and Laos, and Vietnam too. Basically, a nice loop Bangkok to Bangkok.

I've done Thailand to Singapore overland through Malaysia which was ace and Malaysia a couple of times seperate to that too, also all of Oz except the East coast - it's full of 'gap year twats' now drinking their way between Sydney and Cairns, i just don't fancy getting caught up in that.

Havent done China or Japan though i'm afraid, but i'll be glad to offer any advice/tips on the above
I wouldn't fancy that either althugh my alkie friends (sorry girls) probably would love it. Another friend recommended the west ccoast for being sparsely populated but amazing. There's just so much but I thinnk we'll be away 6 months sp deffinately doable. Did I mention how excited I am?
The West coast is amazing, we travelled from Darwin to Perth in a little over 3 weeks (could have done it slower, but we had tickets for Teenage Fanclub when we got there!) you can go for ages without seeing much then overnite in this little town where theres maybe a pub and just something wonderful to see, everyones dead friendly and really warming to tourists because they know how much effort it takes to get out there (well more of an effort than the east coast does) 4 of my favourite days in the whole year i was away were spent in this little coastal town called Coral Bay, just south of Exmouth which is the start of the Ningaloo reef. Theres NOTHING to do in Coral bay except drink, snorkel, swim and relax. Saturday night it all goes off in The Bakery - once they shut for the night they bring out some speakers and everyone just gets drunk and dances around. The Ningaloo reef itself is beautiful, and its close enough to the shore to swim out too which makes it so much easier to see and explore than the Barrier Reef.

I can't reccommend the West Coast enough.

User avatar
Jeezy Creezy
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 16:13
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: the wrong side of the tracks

Post by Jeezy Creezy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 17:06

We've decided to forego the east coast as we only have two months and it would be out the way but I have persuaded my pal to see cambodia and vietnam so the final itinerary is...

South West USA 5 weeks
Fiji 3 weeks
New Zealand 1 month
East Oz and North Coast round to Darwin 2 months
Singapore 2 nights
Thailand (taking in Cambodia and Vietnam) 1 month

Anyone fancy spnsoring me or buying a kidney. I'm happy to donate my eggs also but you might be left with a crazy eyed crazy haired silly baby.
Sarcasm was the lowest form of wit. Now there's you.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BLEX [Bot] and 0 guests