The Apprentice

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

linus

Re: The Apprentice

Post by linus » Thu May 14, 2009 08:28

I thought mona looked quite foxy with her new do on the adrian chiles thing after, but- yep- no idea how debra got away with that

noodlé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by noodlé » Thu May 14, 2009 08:30

linus wrote:I thought mona looked quite foxy with her new do on the adrian chiles thing after, but- yep- no idea how debra got away with that
it occurs to me that i've never seen sam and siralan in the same room.
jackie chan style

linus

Post by linus » Thu May 14, 2009 10:09

as if sam could ever grow a beard! that's crazy talk!

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu May 14, 2009 14:08

noodlé wrote:i know that mona is about as much use as pickled hamster... but how the c0ck did debra not get fired last night?
Yeah. I liked yesterdays task, brought a bit back from when I was co-ordinating a mail order catalogue operation a couple of years ago. Horrible mis-management of time by Debra, and she hardly got a savaging in the boardroom. First signs that Sirralun likes her I think, as he seems to have James in his sights more now.

The other team's rebranding operation seemed to defreshen it somehow, producing a poster that just looked like a dull 70's public information effort, and rebranding it for families when it's er, quite family-orientated anyway. Yet they still won, ludicrously.

Won't Margate be underwater in about 15 years anyway? They should have gone for the Atlantis theme.
Fuck your tea room.

soft revolution
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc

Post by soft revolution » Thu May 14, 2009 14:18

Wheatabeat wrote:
noodlé wrote:i know that mona is about as much use as pickled hamster... but how the c0ck did debra not get fired last night?
Yeah. I liked yesterdays task, brought a bit back from when I was co-ordinating a mail order catalogue operation a couple of years ago. Horrible mis-management of time by Debra, and she hardly got a savaging in the boardroom. First signs that Sirralun likes her I think, as he seems to have James in his sights more now.
You see, *if* I was being a cynic I'd say that Mona was a little too quiet to make good TV in the last few episodes. My prediction is that next week he'll make a beast of a team by adding Ben or Lorraine to the team with James and Debra, and then use the resulting argument with Debra to pin the blame on James and get rid of him. That's what I'd do.

Debra's team needed to stop lying. They did it a few times, not just with the blank spaces but with making up the market research as they went along. They'd have got pulled up on that in the real world* where they'd had to submit a report of the market research.

* you know, that place where Daily Mail readers claim public sector employees wouldn't survive
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Thu May 14, 2009 19:34

soft revolution wrote:You see, *if* I was being a cynic I'd say that Mona was a little too quiet to make good TV in the last few episodes.
I don't think that's cynical. It is, after all, an entertainment show for TV. No one wants to watch boring people modestly succeeding at a task. If I thought it had anything to do with finding the right person for Siralan's organisation based on how competently they perform in the tasks, I wouldn't watch it. Thankfully, it's about pantomime villains like Debra and posh people with fancy degrees showing themselves up as a bit thick.

Big Nose

Post by Big Nose » Thu May 14, 2009 21:36

Shut up. You'll be saying the Big Daddy vs. Giant Haystacks 70s wrestling thing was all artifice next. You're like an online Charlie Brookeresque bubble bursting Santa denier.

Ben has been pictured rather favourably lately though hasn't he. He had zero bell end moments in this weeks episode as far as I can recall. (which isn't far I should add.)
My apple pies go off today.

linus

Post by linus » Thu May 14, 2009 21:39

he looked quite rakish almost... he was a bit snide about james at the end but it's a game, innit

I thought this was actual big business as it happens... all my dreams are dead

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu May 14, 2009 22:02

Big Nose wrote: Ben has been pictured rather favourably lately though hasn't he. He had zero bell end moments in this weeks episode as far as I can recall
What? Apart from making a rectangle with his thumbs and index fingers about 40 times?
Fuck your tea room.

linus

Post by linus » Thu May 14, 2009 23:03

Wheatabeat wrote:
Big Nose wrote: Ben has been pictured rather favourably lately though hasn't he. He had zero bell end moments in this weeks episode as far as I can recall
What? Apart from making a rectangle with his thumbs and index fingers about 40 times?
I'd blanked that completely... I believe you've just performed trauma-search therapy on me

Caroline74

Post by Caroline74 » Fri May 15, 2009 02:06

On You're Fired, I believe Adrian Chiles referred to him as 'that tosser' which made me laugh out loud!

Caroline74

Post by Caroline74 » Wed May 20, 2009 22:25

Dare I say it......Ben sort of redeemed himself on you're fired tonight.

sunshine/pirate

Post by sunshine/pirate » Wed May 20, 2009 22:26

"Making a complete Horlicks of it" has been formally added to the Russell Lexicon.

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Wed May 20, 2009 22:44

Caroline74 wrote:Dare I say it......Ben sort of redeemed himself on you're fired tonight.
Most of them do somehow don't they? Perhaps it's the moment when they get out, and have the first chance to sit down with a cake and a cuppa watching through the footage of them on camera. Has this kinda humbling effect I'd imagine, particularly in the case of him, who as much as I'm loathe to admit it, didn't really deserve to go this week.

As for Debra Moonface... Come on Sam, you haven't really still got eyes for her have you?
Fuck your tea room.

noodlé

Post by noodlé » Wed May 20, 2009 23:25

wahey, tv just lost a moron.

we did lose him, didn't we? he's not coming back.. ever...

howard made me laugh tonight... 'you put this on the baby's head, and that's it'. i still think he's pointless.. but his knack of being pointless in teams that win is notable.

just a note on the birthing pools... if that team only had 1/50th of the market that the other team had, surely they did brilliantly to sell just as many units? i know that wasn't the point... but still... if the other teams selections and selling were any cop they'd have beaten the team with one product that only 2% of people wanted, and one product that nobody wanted, by a lot more than they did.
jackie chan style

Sylvie

Post by Sylvie » Wed May 20, 2009 23:51

noodlé wrote:we did lose him, didn't we? he's not coming back.. ever...
Hmm, I wouldn't bank on it. I remember seeing Claire on GMTV and Raef on something else last year after the Apprentice had finished. If anyone out of this series wanted to become a TV 'personality', I'd say it's Ben. All that flexing muscles (and flab), ironing his shirt topless and bigging himself up all the time....

I thought Debra was going, but then she somehow escaped again. She blatently lies every week in the boardroom and I'm sure that's why Nick and Margaret can't stand her. Not sure what's going on in Suralan's head, although maybe he just couldn't bear anymore mentions of Sandhurst. I wonder how it affects these people's careers after they've done this show. Surely it must make them less employable when they all appear like idiots on national TV.
Just be nice to me.

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu May 21, 2009 00:46

noodlé wrote: just a note on the birthing pools... if that team only had 1/50th of the market that the other team had, surely they did brilliantly to sell just as many units? i know that wasn't the point... but still... if the other teams selections and selling were any cop they'd have beaten the team with one product that only 2% of people wanted, and one product that nobody wanted, by a lot more than they did.
Well, you could also say that fecking hundreds of stalls had prams and buggies so there was far more competition selling those. They could have maximised birth pool sales by getting a few plastic balls and saying they could be used as ball pools once they've done their birthing in them.

In fact, I want one for my back yard.
Fuck your tea room.

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu May 21, 2009 00:48

Sylvie wrote:I wonder how it affects these people's careers after they've done this show. Surely it must make them less employable when they all appear like idiots on national TV.
Quite the opposite. I reckon it drastically improves their job prospects, once they've played their "Oh it was edited completely. They cut out all my nice bits" card.
Fuck your tea room.

Jono Volpone
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Jono2cv

Post by Jono Volpone » Thu May 21, 2009 08:19

a layer of chips wrote:
Yeah, she (Yasmina) also said it that both boy or girl cats wouln't mind those box things when asked if she thought they were gender specific. She doesn't seem very bright.

Debra looked ravishing again.
Yasmina is bright, witty, and charming. She is the ravishing one!!!
The horses just don't gossip anymore

noodlé

Post by noodlé » Thu May 21, 2009 08:25

Wheatabeat wrote:
noodlé wrote: just a note on the birthing pools... if that team only had 1/50th of the market that the other team had, surely they did brilliantly to sell just as many units? i know that wasn't the point... but still... if the other teams selections and selling were any cop they'd have beaten the team with one product that only 2% of people wanted, and one product that nobody wanted, by a lot more than they did.
Well, you could also say that fecking hundreds of stalls had prams and buggies so there was far more competition selling those.
oh yes, that's a point.

mind you, i bet not many of the people selling buggys on the other stands reckoned they deserved £100k p/a jobs.
jackie chan style