The Dark Knight

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

darvé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve

Re: The Dark Knight

Post by darvé » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:48 pm

Sounds like i had the opposite experience, i went last thursday at 11:00am and there were maybe 10 people in the cinema, i knew very little about it, apart from the obvious Heath Ledger/Joker stuff but i thought it was an excellent movie. For me, i liked how Batman became more of a peripheral character in the story, really he was there to balance things out between The Joker and Harvey.

Gary Oldman should get a nod too, brilliant portayal of Commissioner Gordon.
and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner

Miss 9
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Miss 9 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Gary Oldman is the best person ever as far as I'm concerned. I actually read a review that compared Ledger in this film to Oldman in Leon. It was a hilarious review. The same reviewer also said Terrence Howard in Iron Man was better than Eckhart. I TOTALLY FORGOT Howard was even in a movie this summer, so you know, I call bullshit on that assesment.
Q: I know you are, but what am I?
A: A garbage man.

darvé

Post by darvé » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:42 pm

I still havent seen Iron Man, i clearly fail at summer blockbusters.

I too kept thinking of him in Leon, and more specifically as Drexl in True Romance and thinking what a world away this was for him.

I know all the plaudits are going to go Ledgers way come Oscar season, but Oldman deserves a look in at least.
means we've got a winner

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:45 pm

Miss 9 wrote:Gary Oldman is the best person ever as far as I'm concerned.
I must agree. Oldman Leon and Prick Up Your Ears are two of the best performances on celluloid. I think he is single-handedly responsible for my torturing myself with doing my English thesis on Joe Orton (but even that doesn't make me hate him). I think he maybe even didn't stink up that Beethoven movie too much, even though it was a pile of poo. That movie he was in where he played a junkie with Kathy Burke (Nil by Mouth?) was really boring or was I just distracted?

DefenderOfPants
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DefenderOfPants

Post by DefenderOfPants » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:37 pm

i couldn't really get into it. that may have had something to do with the theatre i was in. it was kinda dirty and my seat was really uncomfortable and the audience laughed at somewhat innapropriate times. like, when someone was shot. i dunno. maybe it's a Virginia thing.

maybe i'll go see it again in IMAX, like my favourite dress. hopefully nobody pukes on me.

heath ledger was really good as the joker. he was, pretty much, the main character of the movie.

i wasn't too crazy about the techy stuff. it was a bit much towards the end what with the sonar and the blue eyeballs. that was kind of weird. batman's voice was distracting. it almost sounded like rocky at one point. a lot of the dialogue was pretty corny. two face flipped his coin a few times too many and wasn't as moody as i would've liked him to be. the angry citizens were unconvincing. as was the acting of everyone but the lead cast. i could go on, but i don't want to sound too nitpicky.

Eric Roberts?

tekno_alice

Post by tekno_alice » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:28 am

I'm with "defenderofpants" on this one...
Me not convinced, it was long and confusing what was with Batman's stupid voice? The film is all serious and moody and then he has that comedy voice, I dunno. It was really scary too, I couldn't believe it was a 12, I had my hands over my face everytime the Joker got his knife out, and the bit with the pencil, ew!
Admittedly Heath Ledger was the best thing in the movie and no doubt he'll win the Oscar. Gary Oldman's character was the only one I felt any compassion for, Batman just needs to get over it and by the time Two Face appeared I was waiting for the end credits, give up on that coin man, we know it's got two heads on it!
And why didn't they go and save Maggie Gyllenhaal or at least try and save both of them, that i didn't understand!
What was Cillian Murphy doing in it for like 5 seconds? I saw him in the shop yesterday and almost asked him, then I remembered I don't actually know him!

I'm not generally one for action movies but I love superheroes. This one was far too serious and po faced for me, give me Spiderman or Xmen any day.

darvé

Post by darvé » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:38 am

tekno_alice wrote:And why didn't they go and save Maggie Gyllenhaal or at least try and save both of them, that i didn't understand!
They did, didn't they? The Joker told him where they both were, Batman told Jim to go to where Harvey was whilst he went to save Rachel, but the Joker had switched the locations so Batman (Bruce, i can't keep calling him Batman) ended up saving Harvey and Jim, as we saw, was too late to get to Rachel.
means we've got a winner

Pop Kid
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boyinky

Post by Pop Kid » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 am

I found the whole film largely inaudible, I couldn't understand a bloody word.

It seemed overly complicated, I don't think I'm ready for a film like Batman.

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:45 am

I'm seeing it again, having just watched Batman Begins (quite good), and the Gotham Knight animated interim DVD thing (fun).
Toot toot.

tekno_alice

Post by tekno_alice » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:02 pm

davo wrote:
tekno_alice wrote:And why didn't they go and save Maggie Gyllenhaal or at least try and save both of them, that i didn't understand!
They did, didn't they? The Joker told him where they both were, Batman told Jim to go to where Harvey was whilst he went to save Rachel, but the Joker had switched the locations so Batman (Bruce, i can't keep calling him Batman) ended up saving Harvey and Jim, as we saw, was too late to get to Rachel.
well, as i said I did find it confusing... In the future I think I'll just stick to simpler action hero films like 'Kungfu Panda', that was totally more on my level!

Richard
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/richarddsfar

Post by Richard » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:31 pm

tekno_alice wrote:I'm with "defenderofpants" on this one...
Me not convinced, it was long and confusing what was with Batman's stupid voice? The film is all serious and moody and then he has that comedy voice, I dunno. It was really scary too, I couldn't believe it was a 12, I had my hands over my face everytime the Joker got his knife out, and the bit with the pencil, ew!
Admittedly Heath Ledger was the best thing in the movie and no doubt he'll win the Oscar. Gary Oldman's character was the only one I felt any compassion for, Batman just needs to get over it and by the time Two Face appeared I was waiting for the end credits, give up on that coin man, we know it's got two heads on it!
And why didn't they go and save Maggie Gyllenhaal or at least try and save both of them, that i didn't understand!
What was Cillian Murphy doing in it for like 5 seconds? I saw him in the shop yesterday and almost asked him, then I remembered I don't actually know him!

I'm not generally one for action movies but I love superheroes. This one was far too serious and po faced for me, give me Spiderman or Xmen any day.
You need to see the first one! The daft voice and Cillian Murphy are in that one too. Cillian Murphy was The Scarecrow and the daft voice is to stop people working out that he's Bruce Wayne. Genius.

sidesixx

Post by sidesixx » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:04 pm

I loved the movie - I was that into the first installment but this one is brilliant. It is weird that it was rated 12 now that I think about it. Really hope that they film the next one. I read that Johnny Depp was going to paly the riddler. That would be amazing

James_B
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamesbrittan

Post by James_B » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:05 pm

for some reason i was skeptical of the praise this film was getting, but it's actually better than i could've hoped for.

apart from the fact that the camera was spinning almost constantly and making me nauseous (almost), i can hardly fault it.

i can't believe it's only rated 12 either, when lost in translation (for example) is a 15, i know it's not hardcore super violence but a young child would find quite a lot of that pretty frightening. i don't know if it's because big budget films have the censors on their side, or if it's they just avoided a 15 certificate by being very clever with the editing.

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:03 am

i saw this . not the movie the thread is actually about (which i also saw) but the next one "the dark knight rises" . i didnt want to like it, i didn't like it. the story was thin and the characters were very uncomplicated and the politics were completely monstrous and incomprehensible . what a mess. they should just stop making batman movies.

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:12 am

it was also unjustifiably long. either pare it down to 2 hrs or put an intermission in that shit

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:16 pm

also rather humorless for a movie about a grown man who has dedicated his life to a bat motif (obv this same criticism has been leveled at the previous two movies but it bears repeating imho)

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:27 pm

One trilogy inspires another?
Toot toot.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:23 pm

this clump of trees wrote:also rather humorless for a movie about a grown man who has dedicated his life to a bat motif (obv this same criticism has been leveled at the previous two movies but it bears repeating imho)
i think anyone who sat through Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin would be pretty pleased to keep the light-hearted touches out of it. not seen TDKR yet but i liked the last one

the Adam West Batman movie has given me enough laffs'n'yucks over the years... i'm kinda happy with this take on Frank Miller's vision of Batman for now though

(i know Miller is a right wing fuckhead, like)
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:19 pm

I've not read the comics, or really paid much attention to the films so I might have missed some things. But as a stand alone thing, i thought the new Batman film was shit.

I mean, i'm sure it appeals to the casual film goer* who likes flashes n' bangs, but, well, it was just.. rubbish, I thought,.

*I don't go to the cinema often, this is not an elitist thing, I just reckon some people like that sort of thing and I'm not one of them.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:19 pm

i am theoretically a casual film goer (i dont read the comics and i didnt see batman forever or batman & robin so i wasnt psychically scarred by them). i am not fond of this style of bloodless action movie , in which, for example, the redeemed cop dies w/out bleeding or batman gets stabbed in the gut and nothing comes out. (probably because the color palette of the movie is so gloomy and lifeless that red cant even stand out)

i understand that this kind of thing must be a requirement for getting a pg13 rating (or british equivalent). but still.