Burn after reading

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Burn after reading

Post by Damian » Tue Oct 21, 2008 15:13

Couldn't find a thread for this, though I'm sure if there is one a pleasant mod will correct my ineptness.

Has anyone else seen this yet? I thought it was pretty funny, and highly enjoyable. Watching John Malkovich shouting "fuck" a lot, is always going to be fairly amusing. Brad Pitt is also pretty good in it.

It's not up with the Coen's best work, but then I suppose it was always going to be difficult to follow 'No Country For Old Men'. There was an review in one of the Sundays (I forget which) which said the ending was a bit rushed and didn't explain anything, but I thought everything was tied up pretty tightly. Perhaps it's the beginning of a backlash; there's was a similar article recently criticisng 'O Brother'. Pfft.

Anyway yeah, pretty enjoyable, screwball comedy and well worth a watch. Just interested in what everyone else thought really.

Woodbine
Last.fm: www.lastharbour.co.uk

Re: Burn after reading

Post by Woodbine » Tue Oct 21, 2008 15:20

I thought it was okay, but then I'm not a huge fan of the Coen's anyway. I sort of enjoyed the little asides and sub-plots more than the farce itself. It's worth watching just for Brad Pitt's character, though.
Is evil just something you are, or something you do?

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Oct 21, 2008 15:22

haven't seen this yet but i intend to soon. i've heard good things about it, and even though i greatly dislike brad pitt, he's a fairly good actor.
Windmills do not work that way! Good night.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 15:57

Sam wrote:haven't seen this yet but i intend to soon. i've heard good things about it, and even though i greatly dislike brad pitt, he's a fairly good actor.
He's in some great movies (Fight Club, Johnny Suede, Seven...) but he does come across as a bit of a tit. Tom DiCillo followed up Johnny Suede with an even better movie called Living In Oblivion though, and apparently the utterly unlikeable Chad Palomino (spelling, anyone?) character is very heavily based on Pitt.

As for Burn After Reading, i'm looking forward to it. I like a good Coen screwball comedy - although there's no way it'll be as good as The Hudsucker Proxy.
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Post by Damian » Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:03

On the subject of Pitt and not to derail my own thread or anything, but I see Johnny Suede mentioned above and I just bought that the other day; looking forward to it.

I agree with the Woodbine too, I liked the sub-plots at lot better than the main storyline too. The little bits going on in the gym are great. Strangely on reflection parts of the film felt a little like American Beauty to me. That might sound strange, what with it being a mad comedy, but the fractured relationship side of things had a real surburban drama to them.

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:07

indiansummer wrote: He's in some great movies (Fight Club, Johnny Suede, Seven...) but he does come across as a bit of a tit. Tom DiCillo followed up Johnny Suede with an even better movie called Living In Oblivion though, and apparently the utterly unlikeable Chad Palomino (spelling, anyone?) character is very heavily based on Pitt.
not to mention twelve monkeys.
indiansummer wrote:As for Burn After Reading, i'm looking forward to it. I like a good Coen screwball comedy - although there's no way it'll be as good as The Hudsucker Proxy.
not seen the hudsucker proxy, but i'm a big lebowski fan...

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:21

Sam wrote:not seen the hudsucker proxy, but i'm a big lebowski fan...
Good call (i think it's their best work), but Hudsucker's a screwball comedy pastiche/tribute, which is why i mentioned it here. It's probably my favourite after Lebowski, actually.

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:22

indiansummer wrote:
Sam wrote:not seen the hudsucker proxy, but i'm a big lebowski fan...
Good call (i think it's their best work), but Hudsucker's a screwball comedy pastiche/tribute, which is why i mentioned it here. It's probably my favourite after Lebowski, actually.
well, upon your recommendation i've added it to my love film list.

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:29

Sam wrote:well, upon your recommendation i've added it to my love film list.
Oh christ, i hope you like it now! It's really good though - Robbins and Newman are fantastic in it. Nice cameo for Bruce Campbell too, which i assume is down to Sam Raimi being co-writer.

Sam

Post by Sam » Tue Oct 21, 2008 16:30

indiansummer wrote:
Sam wrote:well, upon your recommendation i've added it to my love film list.
Oh christ, i hope you like it now! It's really good though - Robbins and Newman are fantastic in it. Nice cameo for Bruce Campbell too, which i assume is down to Sam Raimi being co-writer.
i've just been reading about it and it sounds good so... but if i don't like it, i shall be looking to you sir!