films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon May 02, 2016 11:44 pm

Dan Pop-o-matic wrote:OK then:
SpoilerShow
I reckon Melisandra is going to resurrect Jon next season.
SpoilerShow
Called it.

Also Yara Greyjoy is back! Yay! And Hodor (and Bran I guess)! And Tyrion bonded with some dragons! And Ramsey finally tipped over into cartoonish super villainy!
First two episodes have been pretty good I reckon.

linus

Post by linus » Tue May 03, 2016 6:50 am

Ahem...
SpoilerShow
I'm not sure it was Mel who brought Jon back... not directly... I think Ghost had something to do with it... although Mel's blood magic to kill off the three kings (Robb, Joffrey, Balon) finally paid off last night but I think that was less to do with her magic than having all these terrible bad buggers at play (respectively Roose and Tywin, Oleanna and Littlefinger and, turning up last night, Euron Greyjoy)... I've really enjoyed these two episodes, the last season left a really bad smell but this one has begun with a lot more purpose, vim and vigour... my favourite bits from last night were Bran's warging into the past and checking out his relly's in Winterfell and meeting young Wylas aka Hodor not saying 'Hodor' but chatting regular (plus glimpses of much younger Ned, Benjen, Ser Rodrik and Old Nan); WunWun the giant splatting some fool's head against a Castle Black wall like it was no thing; Tyrion getting chummy with dragons ('I drink and I know things' is a pretty good CV); The Sparrow getting all Bernie Sanders; Ser Davos being all self-deprecating and cool and shit; The Greyjoys and The Ironbloods being all gnarly... does anyone think it'll be them that get Dany and the Unsullied and maybe some Dovraki to Westeros in their big old ships?

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue May 03, 2016 9:01 am

SpoilerShow
Hmmmmm. Interesting theory, and it would explain why the camera kept cutting to Ghost during the ritual and why Jon only woke up when he moved. Why would Ghost wait until then to resurrect him though? Unless direwolves have a natural sense of the dramatic (it could be something to do with Balon dying and him realising that the traitors had been locked up so it was now safe to do so).

linus

Post by linus » Tue May 03, 2016 1:16 pm

SpoilerShow
Maybe something to with Bloodraven or Bran or perhaps that Jon warged into Ghost when he was stabbed up and needed Mel to do her business before he could warg back into himself (???)

I'm interested in why Hodor became Hodor and only says 'Hodor', I read somewhere else that 'Hodur' is a Norse god, who was blind and the God, appropriately enough for GoT, of 'Winter and Darkness' (it was Hodur that killed the invincible Balder- his twin brother- with a sprig of miseltoe after being tricked into doing so by Loki... later Hodur would be killed by his one day old baby brother... such is the wonderful world of Norse mythology)... how all this ties in with Hodor... if it all, I'm not sure

I'm interested in where all the different factions and characters will end up at the close of this season... which I suppose is true of watching any telly series, but, hopefully fans of GoT will get my point

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon May 09, 2016 10:40 pm

SpoilerShow
Trust GoT to show us the blanched face of recently hanged child for 10 whole seconds. I guess actually dying released Jon from his Night's Watch oaths. Still not 100% clear how he came back I guess.

Rickon was just a little kid last time we saw him right? Younger than Bran/Arya? So that wasn't him with Osha? (If that's her name). Surely everyone in the North would know how old he is so I don't really get what's going on there.

Yay Samwell and Gillie are back!

Jonathan Pryce acted the lad who plays Tommen off the screen!

Still don't really care about Arya's story line!

Are these flashbacks to Ned's adventures that Bran and Max von Sydow are seeing taken from books? Like backstory for earlier ones that they're just fitting in now?

Thought the person playing young Eddard did a good Sean Bean impression. Do you reckon the Bean is going to be back for a flashback?

linus

Post by linus » Tue May 10, 2016 9:09 am

SpoilerShow
It's the same actor playing Rickon... Art Parkinson... he's clearly had a growth spurt, but yeh, his appearance now compared to when we last saw him made H giggle... it's hard to grasp how much time has passed in GoT, they could help us along in that respect...

Without wanting to be one of those book people, the Arya story in the book is better and because it's from her viewpoint you get a better sense of her view of the world and herself in that world, she's got nothing (other than Needle), no family, she's just attempting to survive and to have her revenge against the people on her list... not sure if that comes across as intensely in the tv series... things should pick up soon... hopefully

cough... Kevin Eldon is coming... cough

The early Ned visions are there or thereabouts in the books, the fight last night against Arthur Dayne is definitely featured from Ned's perspective not Bran's but the tv show is now way beyond the books in terms of what is happening with Bran and Bloodraven... we also get more in the books on Howland Reed, Ned's pal (and Meera and Jojen's father) who essentially saved his life in that fight... he's still alive in both and the tv show but he's only ever referred to, he's not appeared in either...

I enjoyed (of course I did) the little tommysqueaker Pycelle let out when The Frankenmountain entered the Council Room with Jaime and Cersei

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue May 10, 2016 9:26 am

SpoilerShow
Yeah the Pycelle bit was pretty funny.

Thanks for the Rickon info. Maybe direwolves make you grow up faster or something. Hope we're not going to be treated to another interminable run of "Ramsay tortures and rapes some people" though.

I'm missing so much background by not reading the books. I (accidentally) read that you even find out what happens to Arya's wolf in the books, last mentioned in the tv show in episode 3 or something.

linus

Post by linus » Tue May 10, 2016 1:07 pm

SpoilerShow
You do... ... there's some great characters, locations and situations that occur in the books that I think the show would've benefited from, you get a real feel in the books for how divided the North is and what a dangerous place it's become as a result... I'm sure they could have made more of this... in the show I think it comes across that there are two locations up North, Winterfell and The Wall...

linus

Post by linus » Tue May 10, 2016 1:14 pm

SpoilerShow
I don't think reading the books will necessarily improve or add to your enjoyment of the tv show... some of the book readers online are a bit fanatical about 'canon' and all that sort of stuff... any deviation, however sleight, from the books and they froth at the mouth, so they can be a right pain in the arse... in some respects the tv show improves upon some aspects of the books, some characters are much more rounded and compelling in the tv show, there's a lot of trudging here there and everywhere in the books, more so than in the tv show (believe it or not), the only benefit being that characters get to provide some of the background to their motivations and also to the history of Westeros while they trudge about

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue May 10, 2016 1:27 pm

Cheers.

Think I'm sticking to the original plan of waiting until the series is finished before starting on the books. Plenty of other decent modern fantasy stuff to be getting on with.

*Looks at how many books there are in the Thomas Covenant series and cries a bit*

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon May 16, 2016 10:13 pm

I love you Danerys!
SpoilerShow
So a big Nights Watch/Wildlings (with giants)/Knights of the Vale vs Bolton smackdown to look forward to. Plus Lannisters (with Frankenmountain) vs the Faith Militant. And Dothraki/the Unsullied vs whoever Dany decides is next (the masters of Slaver's Bay or just nipping across the sea and killing everyone).

Also Littlefinger is back! And Ramsey is still an arsehole! And Brienne has a looooong memory! And I cried a bit when Sansa and Jon were reunited!

It does feel like it's pointing towards an endgame a little bit now doesn't it? I mean I'm sure they'll plenty of surprises along the way but you almost feel like you can see where stuff is heading.

Good episode.

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon May 23, 2016 10:42 pm

SpoilerShow
Bran you cock end. RIP big fella :(

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Wed May 25, 2016 5:36 pm

I have predictions.
SpoilerShow
That theatre troupe are probably going to be a bit more important than it seems I reckon. I'm going on:

1. They've cast Kevin Eldon, Essie Davis and REG so it would seem a shame to waste them on a minor sub plot
2. Arya still isn't "no-one" as her reaction to the play showed, so the whole Many Faced God thing perhaps won't work out. The troupe could be a way of getting her back to Westeros for the final season.

I also reckon Ramsey will be dead by the end of the season so the White Walkers can become the principal antagonists in the North. Either that or he will go full super villain and end being king of the White Walkers because I wouldn't put it past him.

Maybe episode 9 will be a massive battle for Winterfell.
Speculating is fun.

linus

Post by linus » Tue May 31, 2016 6:40 pm

Spoilers re: episode six
SpoilerShow
Dug last night's episode, despite being a relatively quiet one, there was the big reveal of Benjen the Other... that was cool... I really dig Meera too... I like how Arya is getting her Stark back on and that she's reunited with Needle and I dug how Gilly wasn't going to take no shade from Sam's hard on of a Dad... also Sam now has some Valyrian steel to get choppy with... the High Sparrow continues to deliver the Bern and just what is Marge up to? Plus Walder Frey is back and things'll be getting pretty fraught in Riverrun what with the Blackfish taking back the caste, plus Brienne and Sansa heading there and now Jaime and Bronn plus the Freys... and then Dany astride Drogon at the end, that was pretty dope too...

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:48 pm

Yay!
SpoilerShow
Sandor's back baby!

Shame Ian McShane died because I was enjoying his performance. Nice to see Tim McInnery again too (think he was in this earlier)

Arya's definitely not dead yet. She's a player in the endgame. Leaving the Hound to die may prove to her undoing though.

Reckon I'm right about episode 9 being a big battle episode again. Jon's lot plus the Knights of the Vale (Sansa was writing to Littlefinger right?) taking Winterfell. Ramsey is done by the end of the series.

Every time Davos proves himself to be a decent bloke I know he is one step closer to a terrible death.

Lady Mormont for the Iron Throne!

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:30 pm

I maybe talking to myself here but...
SpoilerShow
Great episode. Horribly tense in places, the scene when Jon/Tormund et al were surrounded and doomed just before the Knights of the Vale turned up was making me hyperventilate a bit. Loved the two Mereen bits too.

Davos is going to die going after Melisandre isn't he? Boooooo.

It may be because it's veering from what GRRM intends, but it does seem to be getting a little bit predictable plot wise. I certainly called some of tonight a few weeks ago.

Shout out to everyone's favourite 10 year old badass Lady Mormont scowling the fuck out of Ramsey at the parlay scene.

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:48 pm

I thought there was a lot too much sign-posting. I mean I'm generally pretty dense with these things (or used to be) and I think I saw EVERYthing coming.
Toot toot.

Wheatabeat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Wheatabeat » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:59 pm

Dan Pop-o-matic wrote:I maybe talking to myself here but...
SpoilerShow
Shout out to everyone's favourite 10 year old badass Lady Mormont scowling the fuck out of Ramsey at the parlay scene.
Ohh, loved that bit. Yeah, epic episode...
SpoilerShow
Felt Dany's straying slightly into madness territory ever so slightly. Needed Tyrion to calm her tits a bit. Imagine if he weren't around!

Battle scenes were incredible though. Slightly contrived how a last minute save with the Vale Knights came to pass. Did no fucker notice several thousand heavy cavalry trotting down Winterfell Road recently? And why didn't Wun Wun have a big club or shield or something? Anyway, nitpicking over a brilliant, brilliant episode really. Is Sansa going into darker soul now, given that sly smirk as she walked off from Ramsey being pedigree chummed?
Fuck your tea room.

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:18 am

Yeah, motherfucker!
Toot toot.

Dan Pop-o-matic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:51 am

SpoilerShow
Have so many named, important characters died in a single episode before? Not since the Red Wedding I imagine.

I expected the Dany/Greyjoy alliance, but Olenna and the Dornish being involved as well was a surprise.