General Chat About Films And That

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

Sam

Re: General Chat About Films And That

Post by Sam » Mon Oct 27, 2008 14:05

indiansummer wrote:
lynsosaurus wrote:i didn't even find him that annoying in this film! i thought he was pretty good in it, even.
i just don't like him. My skin crawls and my stomach feels tight every time he appears in anything. Especially as he only ever appears as himself - can't he get a bloody haircut if he's going to appear in everything? he'd only be 90% as repulsive if he got a sensible haircut.

i think it's down to things like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7692911.stm
i haven't seen Forgetting Sarah Marshall but I'm inclined to agree about Russell Brand. he's a turd.
Windmills do not work that way! Good night.

Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:05

also: has anyone seen Taking Liberties? i saw it a few weeks ago and thought it was amazing, if very depressing...

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Mon Oct 27, 2008 16:55

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a film where Russell Brand has a small role. His whole point as a character is that he's the ultimate KNOB.

I don't personally find him very annoying, so I didn't mind him at all even though I kind of avoid his work. I thought he was great in the film though. No one could've played that role better.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon Oct 27, 2008 18:31

indiansummer wrote:I wouldn't judge him on that! Give Anchorman a go then... it may yet save you...
I've found that the least funny Will Ferrell movie (of the "genre," that is, not all movies that happen to have Will Ferrell in them...) Am I alone in this opinion? As I found 40 Year Old Virgin the least-funny of Apatow's work, I can only come to the conclusion that the culprit is Paul Rudd. Why the fuck did Paul Rudd start doing goofy comedies anyway? He was a "serious actor" or romantic-comedy guy and then he suddenly became mister character actor and he stinks in every one of those rolls--no comedic timing. He's the non-funny John C. Reilly (who I love in all those Ferrell flicks, but do I hope he goes back to making PT Anderson films).

Before Miss 9 jumps on my ass, I'll say that I still find Paul Rudd very attractive.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Mon Oct 27, 2008 20:27

Oh girl NO!

John C Reilly = makes me not want WATCH a film, i find him so annoying and formulaic. yuk.

Paul Rudd = AWESOMENESS, especially his part in Knocked Up! I don't hate him as a funny guy. He's no Bill Hader (OH Bill Hader!!) but still, I think he works better than say a guy like, I don't know, Ashton Kutcher would. I think he's got plenty o'timing.

Anchorman is pretty much a favourite. The first time I watched it (on my macbook on the 6 in the morning train to Manchester Airport) I had to laugh quietly so many times. SEX PANTHER is amazing!

Will Ferrell seems unfunny in Talladega Nights, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (is he even IN that?), Semi-Pro etc. But that is getting into territory further away from Apatow.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Oct 28, 2008 14:59

I do admit to really liking Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. I laugh like an asthmatic seal every time I see it. Maybe you have to watch it with a southerner like I did. I watched it with my friend from Arkansas who "gets it" and has an unbelievably infectious laugh, so I couldn't help but enjoy it.

Dewey Cox was pretty terrible. I, for one, don't take any pleasure in taking the piss out of Johnny Cash. Will Ferrell wasn't in that one, so you can't peg it on him.

I am also one of those daft people (I know you're all rolling your eyes and throwing cans at your screen) who loves The Landlord even though it's clearly child abuse.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Tue Oct 28, 2008 15:34

Haha I love The Landlord!! I watched some interview with Will Ferrell where he was talking about how he and his friend did the film when their families were having a BBQ. I like that even in his private life, he can't help himself when he sees a funny opportunity!

Oh I only meant that they seem unfunny, I haven't actually seen them. Because we can't download, we end up either seeing something in the cinema, or on TV. We don't really rent films much. I often buy them if they seem good enough, Amazon make 'em so cheap it's as much as renting.

Don't get me wrong, I still think they are some of the funniest people around, and I would always avoid all that kind of Dude, Where's My Car/American Pie 17 madness and choose John C Reilly and Will Ferrell and Judd Apatow over that shiz.

postalblue
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/music/postal+blue

Post by postalblue » Tue Nov 04, 2008 14:47

Just saw The Mist, a Frank Darabont adaptation of the Stephen King novella. Pretty cool. At least as far as SK stories turned into movies go. The ending was perfect. I'm glad they didn't mess the original story too much.
New Postal Blue single out now on Cloudberry Records.
There are still copies of our Road to Happiness CD-EP here.
http://www.postalblue.net

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Tue Nov 04, 2008 15:00

indiansummer wrote:i think it's down to things like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7692911.stm
(I'd just like to point out, at this stage, that i only posted the link to say 'that's a bit of a twatty thing to do' - i've certainly not been posting on Have Your Say about it...!)
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 09:41

I saw W. yesterday.

Meh...

It was alright,I suppose.
Toot toot.

Sam

Post by Sam » Fri Nov 14, 2008 09:46

Gordon wrote:I saw W. yesterday.

Meh...

ooh, that's on my lovefilm list... it sounds so weird in the sense that it's a film that's supposed to be funny but you're meant to be laughing with George Bush and not at him? have i got that right?

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:17

Sam wrote:
Gordon wrote:I saw W. yesterday.

Meh...

ooh, that's on my lovefilm list... it sounds so weird in the sense that it's a film that's supposed to be funny but you're meant to be laughing with George Bush and not at him? have i got that right?
Lovefilm? Doesn't it have to come out on DVD first?

It was sort of funny (even though a couple bushisms were crow-barred in). And it was generally sympathetic of Bush if not of his actions, and plenty sympathetic of George H.W. Bush and Colin Powell (best line Powell to Cheney: Fuck you, Dick).

You'll laugh out loud when you see an overgrown prince William attempt to play Tony Blair, though.

The film was nicely done and all, it's just that it didn't tell very much new, and so wasn't particularly inspiring one way or another. It didn't glorify Bush or seek to punish him. I guess it's worth a watch, but it's hardly amazing.
Toot toot.

Sam

Post by Sam » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21

Gordon wrote: Lovefilm? Doesn't it have to come out on DVD first?

It was sort of funny (even though a couple bushisms were crow-barred in). And it was generally sympathetic of Bush if not of his actions, and plenty sympathetic of George H.W. Bush and Colin Powell (best line Powell to Cheney: Fuck you, Dick).

You'll laugh out loud when you see an overgrown prince William attempt to play Tony Blair, though.

The film was nicely done and all, it's just that it didn't tell very much new, and so wasn't particularly inspiring one way or another. It didn't glorify Bush or seek to punish him. I guess it's worth a watch, but it's hardly amazing.
okay, i have reserved it on lovefilm...

it sounds interesting at least...

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:39

I saw the Baader Meinhof Complex and thought it was wickles, although it didn't get amazing reviews, I found out later, and it was a little long. It's a good date movie too, if you want to have dinner-time talk about the validity of armed ideological struggles.
Toot toot.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Nov 17, 2008 13:11

I watched Doomsday at the weekend and it's very nearly the greatest film ever made- it was delightfully demented and appealled- with laser targeted accuracy- to the very core of my inner (although not very well hidden) adolescent

If I'd have seen this film when I was 14 I would've actually exploded with joy

tubby

Post by tubby » Fri Nov 21, 2008 14:11

This looks awesome. Especially if you're into sweaty men in tights like I am.

Trailer -

http://www.joblo.com/video/joblo/player ... estlertrlr
This is bad comedy.

quaycur
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by quaycur » Sat Nov 22, 2008 05:22

I saw Twilight today.

I'm rather disappointed in myself for that.
boys have a godstick, girls have a shamecave

bookish

Post by bookish » Sat Nov 22, 2008 07:44

Haha, I paid $12.50 to see Twilight, plus $2.50 for candy. I was robbed.

At the very least, I got to see Edward Cullen dazzle. And by "dazzle" I mean "rip off his shirt to reveal a bunch of sparkly .gifs reflecting off his chest."

alex_cornetto
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/wizzy_w

Post by alex_cornetto » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:25

I just saw Paris, Texas for the first time - it was quietly stunning. I bloody loved it. Are all Wim Wenders' films that good?

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:38

I saw my next two German films of the week. Die Welle/The Wave and Das Experiment in a double-bill. Fucking hell that was brutal.

The first was based on a student project to teach students how easily they could become part of a fascist regime. The second was based on the Stanford Prison Experiment where test subjects are split into Prisoners and Guards. When I say 'based on'... well, the directors made things a little more colourful.

They were both really good, but I don't think I'd like to see either again.
Toot toot.