General Chat About Films And That

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Re: General Chat About Films And That

Post by leon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 20:58

I just looked up Lovefilm with the intention of rejoining now I've actually got £7 spare a month, and discovered its been taken over by Amazon. Is anyone a member and is it still any good? I've just signed up for a free trial but it appears its £5.99 for instant film and an extra £6.99 for postal rental, which I'm sure is double what I paid last time I was a member a couple of years ago.

I mostly want it to watch old films I've not seen before or want to see again, rather than new stuff. Not sure I want to pay £13 a month for it though as it won't get used THAT much.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Sun Aug 10, 2014 21:44

It's still pretty much the same service, although they do seem to have been slightly slower at sending things out since Amazon took it over. I pay a lot less now though as you can deactivate the streaming stuff and just get the discs, or at least I was able to do that as a LoveFilm person who got switched over. If you can do that as a new user then I'd say it's well worth the cost. I get two discs at a time and I've got two lists set up so that I usually get one more recent mainstream sort of film and one older / foreign / obscure thing, which works quite well.

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Sun Jan 18, 2015 17:00

i watched "foxcatcher" the other day.. it was pretty good. sort of a reagan-era "salo".

and then last night i watched "nightcrawler". it started out alright, i thought it was going to go in the same direction as "blow out", when it looked like the camera guy had unearthed a big conspiracy he could barely comprehend.. but instead it just petered out into a criticism of journalism that is insufficiently interventionist.. the moral of the movie is basically "if you see something, say something".

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Mon May 11, 2015 19:48

I went to Derby film festival last weekend and stuffed films into my eyes until they were shrivelled and weird.

I've written a full write-up if anyone would like a read, but either way I would like to put a big old recommendation out for a film called Spring, which is a kind of horror / sci-fi take on the "young couple talk and walk around" genre (Before Sunrise etc). I haven't fallen so completely in love with a new film in years, it's beautiful.

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Sat Jun 13, 2015 22:42

i dont care what the media monopolies say, the actor chris pratt looks extremely cornfed to me

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Sat Jun 13, 2015 23:16

what is that song theyre playing at the end of the trailer, where the dog is chasing a truck thru the woods or whatever. i keep hearing it used in ads for outdoorsy things

linus

Post by linus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 23:41

According to IMDB it's "I Bet My Life" by Imagine Dragons

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Sat Jun 13, 2015 23:57

d'oh. i see that now.

imagine..... dragons!

Wheatabeat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Wheatabeat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 14:04

Having a nearly-four year old, he's just started to show the bit of patience required to get through a film. Anyway, we watched Boss Baby all together and I absolutely loved it, rather shamelessly. Nice bit of humour for the adults and a good pace to keep him interested.
Fuck your tea room.