this clump of trees

Re: Breaking Bad

Post by this clump of trees » Tue Sep 04, 2012 17:13

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Wed Sep 05, 2012 00:16

SpoilerShow
so what did you guys make of that? i thought the episode was really really good but the end was kind of...far-fetched.

i mean, why would alarm bells go off with hank just because he's seen something addressed to walt as w.w.? those ARE his initials. and he IS a chemist so why would that dedication even seem a tiny bit odd. it wouldn't! so i dunno. maybe a bit hamfisted.

aside from that though, i loved it. and walt's still atrocious.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Wed Sep 05, 2012 01:17

SpoilerShow
didn't gale sign the cover page of the book?

ok i found a screen capture from when the camera is looking over hank's shoulder. gale initialed it. g.b. for gale boetticher, whose appreciation for walt whitman is well established. that should be enough to make things click for hank. after all he was the only person who suspected Gus was a druglord. i don't know, it made sense to me.

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Wed Sep 05, 2012 01:31

SpoilerShow
ahh ok! (pic doesn't work for me but the explanation was enough!) for some reason i thought that the initials it was signed off with were fake. but if they were gael's then that totally makes sense and is more plausible to set off hank's spidey sense.

BUT would walt really put that book in the bathroom since it incriminates him? and knowing him and his ego, he'd probably keep it somewhere safe instead of the bathroom. unless...he left it there so someone would find it and go "oh look! someone thinks walt is great!" which i guess is a bigger ego massage.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Wed Sep 05, 2012 01:42

SpoilerShow
i dont know, i guess now that he has nothing to hide from skyler he must be letting it all hang out at home. is your DEA brother-in-law going #2 in your bathroom an eventuality that a criminal mastermind would take into consideration? i'm guessing walter took it for granted nobody but his immediate family was going to read on that toilet.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Wed Sep 05, 2012 02:32

SpoilerShow
I think it's not implausible that Walt would keep the book. And I think it was in the master bathroom? Maybe he doesn't expect anyone to be going in there? And he's sloppy because of his hubris. I'm too tired to formulate a better response. I think I'm surprised that the kids stayed with Hank and Marie for three months. Three months! That's nuts.

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by lynsosaurus » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:30

SpoilerShow
I think the whole thing with the book was based on the fact that, when Gale died, the DEA found his lab book that detailed his methods and had loads of references to W.W. in it, and it also had an inscription inside saying "to W.W, my star my perfect silence", which is a Whitman quote. I think that was the whole point of the flashback, where Hank remembers reading that out to Walt. I thought that episode was genius. GENIUS.

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by lynsosaurus » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:32

SpoilerShow
Also, I have seen people suggest that Skyler put the book there, which I guess isn't impossible either. I noticed earlier in the episode there was a shot of the book there (I think Walt was in the shower and reached out for a towel, dripping some water on the book. It kind of gave the impression he had no idea the book was there.

anti-western
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/piratejaxx

Post by anti-western » Thu Sep 06, 2012 20:42

SpoilerShow
I think the book is just one of Walter's coveted possessions of pride and that's why he's kept it around (sort of in the way he has flaunted Jesse's watch).

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu Sep 06, 2012 21:30

SpoilerShow
He has been flaunting that watch! And Hank took notice for sure. I imagine Hank will be in a tough spot since his medical care was covered with drug money.

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Thu Sep 06, 2012 21:44

SpoilerShow
parallel b/w walter holding on to "leaves of grass" as a souvenir and todd keeping the tarantula? jesse doesn't have any souvenirs. hank was given a souvenir, tuco's "grill", which he tossed in a ditch, because he couldn't stand to look at it.

edit. didnt walter keep that little plastic eyeball from the airplane collision too? man, whats his problem.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Sat Sep 08, 2012 02:16

It just hit me today that I now have to wait till summer to see more Breaking Bad! Can someone else recommend another show? I don't like True Blood (I did at first), and I've got some Dexter to watch but can't seem to get into it. Anyone seen Homeland? I may get that from Netflix. And I haven't seen the most recent Fringe yet, so there's that, but it's being saved for the holidays!

Also, for some reason, I automatically put this post in a spoiler but caught myself and unspoilered it.

anti-western
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/piratejaxx

Post by anti-western » Sat Sep 08, 2012 06:28

I rightly got addicted to Game of Thrones in its second season. I'm also a huge proponent of the show Carnivale, which was a short lived HBO show about mythical good vs. evil during the Great Depression.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 08, 2012 09:32

squirrelboutique wrote:Anyone seen Homeland?
Me. I liked it.
not really here

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Sat Sep 08, 2012 14:45

I did see both seasons of Game of Thrones, but I'll look at the others! And I think I'm going to get some Homeland for sure. Thanks!

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Sat Sep 08, 2012 15:21

dexter is terrible. i can say this because i have watched 20+ hours of that terrible, terrible show.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Sat Sep 08, 2012 19:35

I liked the first season, but then it sort of kept tapering off for me until now. I've got the first disc of whatever season was on recently, and I've had it from Netflix for about a week and have no desire to watch it. I do love Mos Def though. I think he's in it?

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Sat Sep 08, 2012 20:41

i stopped watching after they found that rita character dead in the bathtub.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Sat Sep 08, 2012 22:17

Yeah you probably don't want to tell that to someone who hasn't seen it.

I'm at the start of the third season of Breaking Bad now. My only problem with the show is that everyone is so very unlikable, especially the main character. Are we supposed to sympathize with him?