'Orrors

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

linus

'Orrors

Post by linus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:32 am

I like 'orrors, I always have and I thought a thread might be in order, ideally one made out of human flesh or guts!

The Hills Have Eyes (The Recent One, The Remake)

I watched this the other night and must admit to never having seen the original, although I'm more than familiar with the plot- also when I was at school the term 'ills 'ave eyes
was often used when 'flid' or 'joey deacon' just didn't cut it to describe somebody, usually a classmate, with an unfortunate appearance

If you're unfamiliar with either 'the hills have eyes' movies the plot is essentially family on camping trip run into another family, a mutant cannibal family, and shit happens

this remake is fairly effective, it's often brutal and occasionally pitch black funny

if I was being all 'late review' I'd say it's a post 9/11 movie as the normals (republican hawk dad, democrat dove son-in-law, piggy in the middle son) fight their own 'war on terror' in the desert

the build up to the cannibal attack with the normals being sent off into the mutants trap is handled rather well, the building tension and sense of unease being especially palpable... the attack itself is grisly, violent and at times hard to watch/stomuch: dad gets burned alive crucified to a tree; the youngest daughter is raped; the mother blasted by a shotgun; the eldest daughter submitting to a similar fate as her sister to prevent the mutants killing her baby before attempting a fight back only to be shot at close range in the head... it's all all shown thankfully in fast edit but it seems relentless, bruising

the problems occurs as we see more and more of the mutants during the film, one (pluto) looks like a cross between sloth from the goonies; the toxic avenger and the muscle bound frankenstein's monster from van helsing... predictably this lummox is childlike but violent...

the other mutants certainly look pretty visually arresting and the special effects are expertly done but what the film turns into is a monster movie, these monsters look weird therefore they act weird... there's some rumblings about a mining community left to die in a nuclear testing zone and these muties are their offspring, twisted physically and mentally by radiation... but the dark heart of the movie is rather let down by the absurd monsterishness of these bad bastards

thinking of a film like 'deathline' (a british seventies horror about a cannibal living in the maze of abandoned tunnels on the london tube system) you have a 'monster' who's humanness is there to see as twisted as his reality may be, this is a man born in darkness, living like a rat, feeding off flesh, riddled with disease and sores who's main priority is to survive and to tend for his partner (who he does not appreciate has died)- there's something 'real' about all this

the mutants in 'the hills have eyes' possess superhuman strength and agility, their thirst for blood and carnage often seems like malicious sport (not a problem in itself in a horror movie) but that's where all the tension goes out of the film... the ending complete with 'he's dead, no he isn't' fake ending and the 'oh no there's more of them' double fakey ending really arse everything up some more

there's plenty good here, but the sheer brutality of some of the scenes and situations would have been far more effective if the film's initial dark momentum had remained until the final credits, instead at the end of the movie there's a feeling that the filmmakers see this as a teen franchise waiting to happen- although by all accounts 'the hills have eyes 2' that followed was so dumb it's ruled a third out of ever happening

it's not a bad film but one that seems to lose it's convictions about 2/3rd's of the way in

highlights: folks get pitchforked; shotgun blast to the face (in an outside loo); mutant kills dog; dog kills mutant; man gets burned alive; fingers get axed off; man wakes up in freezer full of body parts; baby in peril; bald woman; pickled punks in opening credits; dustin hoffman in straw dogs lookalike; boy asks for a twinkie; billy drago unrecognisable; that girl from the playstation advert with the far apart eyes gets work; bloke with bulbous octopus head says 'it's breakfast time!'

I'd say 3.5 out of 5
Last edited by linus on Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:52 am

I'm all about horror!
It's got to a point now though where the only horror in the video shop near me I haven't seen is The Hills Have Eyes 2.
And no doubt that'll be in the pile next 99p rental day.

I love redneck zombie films best I think.
Like Wrong Turn, The Hills Have Eyes, and Monster Man (that one with the redneck in a monster truck ploughing down american teens).

I watched Silent Hill the other week and despite the terrible acting and prosaic get-the-story-started intro, it was brilliant!
The baddies in it were the best baddies ever.
Especially these ones:
I were dead scared like.

What about Dario Argento films?
The soundtracks are so brilliant.
I quite fancy getting that Goblin best of that came out a few years ago.
I think my favourites are Profondo Rosso and Phenomena, but there are still a few I haven't seen.

Horror!

linus

Post by linus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:00 am

I keep thinking about maybe watching some Lucio Fulci movies

it's a bit like nausea that, it comes in waves and then passes

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:07 am

I just wikipediad him.
I don't believe I've seen any of those films.
Am I missing out?

linus

Post by linus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:17 am

I've no idea, I remember seeing some stills, in my teens, from the film 'the beyond' and 'last house by the cemetary' and they kind of freaked me out... it's a bit like all them italian cannibal films, I'm a bit reluctant to watch them... they clearly tap into somthing I'm not sure I can handle... it's the extreme cruelty and sadism

I guess we all have our levels

have you ever seen 'terror', it's a seventies brit horror that's heavily indebted to argento, it's essentially a series of artfully contrived bloody murders with, if memory serves, a daft floating car in a forest moment... mutatchoux will know, I'm sure him and gormo have watched it

I really need to see some peter walker films too, he's a bit of a gorehound (seventies, british, with a background in smut)

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:43 am

I haven't seen Terror, no.
I can't even find it on the stupid internet.
Boo!
I'm definitely more of a monster movie fan though, rather than people sadistically murdering or torturing other people.
You do build up a resilience to it I suppose though.
Although I often find myself turning away during particularly cruel torture scenes.
*shudder*

linus

Post by linus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:08 pm

I love a monster, me
I like it when the real monster turns out to be man
and the monster with the flat head and the goggy eyes needs sympathy and understanding
but straight society just goes on looks
stupid looks
I'd much rather hang out with a bee woman than kate moss
kate moss is the real monster
created by the media
to dine on the plump flesh of today's adolescent girls
who eat themselves from the inside out
yeah!

talking of society, I think 'society' has got a release on dvd
it's got billy warlock in it from baywatch
it's ace
it's about how posh people are actually squirmy stretchy blobs of elasticated flesh and bone parasitically feeding on the working man
it's totally communist
I hope 'the stuff' gets a release on dvd
that's about killer yoghurt
where do you stand on killer nuns, jaynie?

linus

Post by linus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:16 pm

I really love this blog: http://finalgirl.blogspot.com/

the lame horror movie poster 'nineties' special is particularly, um, special

there are some great well-chosen screengrabs on there too, it's all good and often very funny

I'm kind of in love with stacie who puts the blog together

watch out for the picture of joan van ark from knots landing, that will give you nightmares

dear rose
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by dear rose » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:44 pm

I got society out from the dvd shop and then forgot to watch it. duh! Is it very good? I might get it again tonight if so.

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:55 pm

Linus wrote:I really love this blog: http://finalgirl.blogspot.com/

the lame horror movie poster 'nineties' special is particularly, um, special

there are some great well-chosen screengrabs on there too, it's all good and often very funny

I'm kind of in love with stacie who puts the blog together

watch out for the picture of joan van ark from knots landing, that will give you nightmares
Is that her at the top?
She's well hot.
I was expecting to see Queen of The Goths.

linus

Post by linus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:57 pm

it's very of it's time, but quite subversive for that time too, certainly coming to it with no expectations then it was cheerfully surprising, now I've told you that though, um...

do watch it, the squirmy transmogrifications are a delight

yeh, check it out!

linus

Post by linus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:59 pm

La-Di-Da wrote: Is that her at the top?
She's well hot.
I was expecting to see Queen of The Goths.
that is her at the top and she's a comic book inker

I heart her

Big Nose

Post by Big Nose » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:09 pm

I shall make it my lifes mission to see The Hand before I croak, it sounds incredible.

linus

Post by linus » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:40 pm

I watched The Devil's Backbone this afternoon, having not seen it before, and I thoroughly dug it

is it an 'orror? well, it's supernatural and bloody

plus more pickled punks! and pickled punk juice drinking!

I'll give it 4.5 out of 5 stars!

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:34 am

I watched that last week too.
Spooks lent me the Guillermo del Toro boxset with Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone and Cronos in it.
It was dead ace!
I still haven't watched Cronos though so I'm quite looking forward to that too.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:40 am

ooh, Cronos... you should enjoy that

and Mimic is on this week on telly, it's not up there with his best but it's still pretty nifty and the bugs look ACE!

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:51 am

Ooh, when/what channel?
I'll set a reminder on the telly.
BUGS!

linus

Post by linus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:18 pm

it's on BBC1... um, wednesday? possibly?

it's on quite late, it might be passed your bedtime

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:02 pm

I know no bedtime!

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:08 pm

I saw Mimic at the cinema and thought it was absolutely awful! I had no idea it was a Del Toro film, although I suppose I didn't know who he was at the time anyway.

My most recent horror viewing was Braindead, which I thought was amazing - is there anything else in that kind of hilarious levels of gore genre that I should be on the look out for?