'Orrors

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

La-Di-Da

Re: 'Orrors

Post by La-Di-Da » Tue Dec 11, 2012 21:48

La-Di-Da wrote: I'm almost as angry as when I read about the Evil Dead remake.
Actually I'm more angry.
What's the fucking point in that? WHAT IS THE FUCKING POINT.

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Tue Dec 11, 2012 22:04

In happier news, who's lookig forward to The ABCs of Death?

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/th ... nd-trailer

I'm also planning on watching all of these at some point: http://26th.theabcsofdeath.com/

Really enjoyed V/H/S at this year's Mayhem Horror Festival and Little Deaths at last years. Loving the anthology film comeback that's going on. More please!

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 21:57

Someone has made a pretty awesome infographic detailing every zombie kill in The Walking Dead so far. Here it is.

I wouldn't watch it if you haven't fully caught up with it though. It's pretty spoiler-tastic.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Fri Jan 18, 2013 15:57

Does anyone watch American Horror Story? If you imagine the creator of Glee has used up all his sweetness and light on that show so that all that's left are fragments from the darkest recesses of his mind, then that's almost literally what this show is! Very stylishly directed, brilliantly acted by the likes of Jessica Lange and Zachary Quinto and truly impressively batshit crazy at times.

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Mon Jan 21, 2013 00:18

I started watching American Horror Story: Asylum after overhearing some guys talk about it at a horror festival.
SpoilerShow
I'v really been enjoying it. Very slick, as you say. I found it a little difficult to get into with the first episode, which was basically some graphic sex scenes in an abandoned mental asylum and an alien abduction, but once you get past that it really is great. You wouldn't have thought knitting aliens, torture, horror, demonic posession, nazism and serial killers together would have worked but somehow it just does, without being too ridiculous or losing sight of the story.
Yeah, I'd recommend it to anyone feeling the season-break lul at the minute. Good telly!

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Tue Jan 22, 2013 17:08

I think the best thing about American Horror Story is that you genuinely have no idea what they're going to do next. It could really be anything!

linus

Post by linus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 20:29

Splendid post by Ben (of this parish) in tribute to Jose Ramon Larraz, who died this week

http://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.co. ... -2013.html

Ben always delivers a rollicking read

Sad news about Larraz, 'Vampyres' is something of a favourite of mine, sleazy, slippery, strangely poetic... a sweaty fever dream slice of Seventies Brit 'Orror

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Thu Oct 10, 2013 23:33

I've been slowly stockpiling horror films from the gutters and / or charity shops of Matlock for a while, because my girlfriend doesn't really like them so they rarely get watched. She's away a lot this month, so I've been hammering through them and having a great old time. I've never really been sure whether it's a genre that really clicks with me, but I'm starting to realise that it is, or does, or whatever I was talking about.

Anyway, the best ones I've seen so far are 'Demons' (Italian 1980s gore madness, including death-by-helicopter. Why was the helicopter even there? It doesn't matter) and 'Near Dark' (moody 80s redneck vampires with Tangerine Dream doing a typically wonderful load of synths over it all), but of the nine I've watched so far this month the only one that hasn't really grabbed me is 'Suspiria' which despite some very striking images and sounds I sadly found really uninvolving.

For the record, the others so far, in order of best to worst: Berbarian Sound Studio, Ginger Snaps, The Frighteners, Nosferatu (Herzog version), Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, Parts: The Clonus Horror.

Oozing to the top of my to-watch pile: Black Sheep, The Keep, It, Firestarter, Cronos, Paperhouse, Slither and Pontypool.

linus

Post by linus » Sat Oct 19, 2013 16:07

my memory is shot right now and wanting to watch this one film (the name of which I still can't remember) I selected another by mistake just because the title sounded like it might be the film I wanted to watch... so I watched 'no one lives'... and, it soon became apparent it wasn't the film I was wanting to watch (awkward dinner party, home invaded by animal masked baddies, the tables are turned... possibly the dinner table, maybe a nest of tables as well) but another much more shitter film that I really really really really didn't got on with at all, in fact it was shit, really shit

it's main problem was it took itself so fucking seriously and there was no evidence to suggest why it should, in the olden days exploitation films were cheap, cheerful, a little bit sleazy but in many cases kind of weirdly fantastic and clever and artful and sometimes even subversive, this bollocks, this 'no one lives', was none of those things... fucking hell it was tedious

why are serial killers in films and television sort of strangely superhuman and incredibly agile and cunning and almost supernatural?

most serial killers from history it seems are dysfunctional, creepy and a bit socially inept (aside from all the killing and the maiming, I mean) and are compelled by base desires rather than grand theories of art and philosophy and whatnot... they don't eat people's livers with some fava beans and a nice chianti, their idea of wit and sophistication is to stick their willy wanker into a handful of their own poo while going through your knicker drawer

and there's a serial killer in 'no one lives', and I think we're meant to find him a bit of suave and a bit of alright, despite him essentially behaving like a massive dick the whole film, except at the beginning, because at the beginning the film-makers want us to believe he's just a pussy... the cast of characters in this shitfest comprise a motherfucker, some arseholes, a couple of pussies and one or two bitches

so there's this pussy character and his girlfriend and they go to a diner and run into some arseholes and one of the arseholes reckons he's a bit of a motherfucker and gets up in the pussy's face and gives it large... but later we learn the pussy is in fact the motherfucker and he goes after the arseholes (one of whom turns out to be a pussy) and their bitches and a lot of gore fx follow (throats are cut, guts are spilled, faces are mangled) and a lot of people shout 'motherfucker!', 'arsehole!', 'fuck you, motherfucker!' and 'fuuuuuuuuck!', the motherfucker it turns out is unstoppable and... dun dun dun... no one lives (except the motherfucker and one of the bitches, I think, he has a connection with her and I think lets her live... presumably for a sequel)

and then it ends, with a smirk on the motherfucker's face, like 'yeh, get me, I'm a motherfucker and nobody lived, just like I said they wouldn't'

it's not even ninety minutes long but it feels so much longer, it's not one of those 'so bad, it's good' films, it's just 'so bad you feel like a dick for watching it'... one of those ugly gloomy dark brown films that pass for horror these days

and I only have myself and my poor memory to blame for inflicting it upon myself

£3.99 on films on demand

that's a day's lunch money

tompony

Post by tompony » Sat Oct 19, 2013 17:41

Is "You're Next" the one you were thinking of? I've heard good things about that, good things I mainly ignored because I heard them prior to flicking the "horror switch" in my brain at the start of this month, but good things nevertheless.

Since my last post I have been utterly thrilled by Demons 2, very much enjoyed Dawn of the Dead and actually quite spooked by Paperhouse, among others. Another couple of Italian horrors have arrived from Lovefilm today, "Profundo Rosso" and "The Beyond", both of which look to be at the "utterly goretastic" end of horror...

linus

Post by linus » Sat Oct 19, 2013 18:09

tompony wrote:Is "You're Next" the one you were thinking of? I've heard good things about that, good things I mainly ignored because I heard them prior to flicking the "horror switch" in my brain at the start of this month, but good things nevertheless.

Since my last post I have been utterly thrilled by Demons 2, very much enjoyed Dawn of the Dead and actually quite spooked by Paperhouse, among others. Another couple of Italian horrors have arrived from Lovefilm today, "Profundo Rosso" and "The Beyond", both of which look to be at the "utterly goretastic" end of horror...
and, yes, it's 'you're next' I was wanting to see, thank you, I won't forget that now

I really need to see 'the beyond', a picture in the nme (of all places) freaked me out back in my youth and it's remained this 'troubling' film for me, but I know it's highly regarded and I think I'd like it, if I can summon up the nerve

I'd be interested to know what you think of 'profundo rosso'

have you watched 'pontypool' yet?

tompony

Post by tompony » Sat Oct 19, 2013 19:48

Not yet, no. Will hopefully get to that one this week.

I'm hoping I'll enjoy Profundo Rosso more than Suspiria, as that's the only film I've watched in my Horror Month(TM) that I really haven't enjoyed at all.

Today I've watched The Bat which is a very fun bit of Vincent Price camp with some excellent overacting and a woman who keeps talking about "the rabies". Very much enjoying chucking in some of this lighter stuff to offset the grim ones!

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Mon Oct 21, 2013 00:42

The Beyond is fucking great, it's kind of hamfisted in parts and some of its more notorious scenes are a bit lol. The trademark Fulci eye-gouging is tremendous though. The ending is strangely wonderful.

Profundo Rosso is great, more Hitchcocky than Suspiria (although I love that too). Tenebrae is probably my favourite of the Argentos I've seen so far.

We watched an oldie, Strait-Jacket, yesterday, Joan Crawford as the axe slayer of her infidelitous husband who returns to the world after 20 years in an asylum. Apart from the amusing "oh fuck there's another thing to make her think about decapitation" plot stuff it's a hugely entertaining romp with a twist. And Joan Crawford is Joan Crawford. You cannot lose.

The intro sets the tone brilliantly..

tompony

Post by tompony » Tue Oct 22, 2013 19:14

I just watched The Beyond, it's got an amazing style to it, sun-bleached dreamlike atmosphere. Some good scares too, and a great soundtrack. The actual story was pretty weak, it felt more like a bunch of "unpleasant happenings" just strung together then any of the other films that I've watched this month and I didn't really care about any of the characters, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I'd like to see more films with that kind of look / atmosphere to them, definitely. Agreed on the ending, too! Really great.

Last night I watched Black Sheep, which has some tremendous effects and some absolutely terrible jokes in it. The fact that they used the Weta special effects team made it feel a bit like a spiritual sequel to Brain Dead to me, which is very welcome!

tompony

Post by tompony » Thu Oct 24, 2013 23:02

a fog of ideas wrote: I'd be interested to know what you think of 'profundo rosso'
I've just finished it, and I absolutely loved it. Properly scary in places, plus funny, exciting and packed with great characters. The female lead character is particularly great, with her knacked old car. Amazing soundtrack, too. I thought Tangerine Dream were my favourite soundtrack band but Goblin might just have edged out in front with this one.

Pontypool tomorrow, hopefully, if I'm not too sleepy / drunk after a post-work curry.

linus

Post by linus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 23:29

I wanted to click a 'like' button in response to that but there isn't one- bah!

tompony

Post by tompony » Sat Oct 26, 2013 09:30

Pontypool was great! I didn't make it through the whole thing post-curry but I started it again from the start this morning and I'm glad I did... there were quite a few details I'd missed in my spice-and-beer-stuffed state. It's one of those films that turns a low budget / small cast / one location into a strength which is always great to see. I didn't really know anything about it beforehand and I won't go into too much detail as I feel it's best experienced without too much prior knowledge but the concept is great and the cast is fantastic.

tompony

Post by tompony » Mon Oct 28, 2013 19:02

Has anyone else seen 'Evilspeak'? It's a very silly low-budget 80s thing with Ron Howard's brother enlisting Satan's assistance to get revenge on military academy bullies, but the last ten minutes are INSANE. Who knew that pledging allegiance to the devil granted power over murderous pigs? NOT I.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 19:25

I saw that a long time ago... clint howard, cute kid/unfortunately fizzoged adult... there needs to be a list of 'orrors that go utterly bobbins in the last ten-twenty minutes, especially of the 80's video shop variety

'evilspeak' would definitely be on it, 'motel hell' too

I mean any film is worth sitting through when this is the pay off:
SpoilerShow

tompony

Post by tompony » Mon Oct 28, 2013 19:34

Ha! I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.