Love & Rockets

I love a talking book, me
alongwaltz
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/

Love & Rockets

Post by alongwaltz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:34 am

The whole series has been split up into three books of Gilbert's work and three books of Jaime's work.

I've picked up the first two of Gilbert's so far and can't believe how great the writing is. The twists and turns and revelations are up there with something like Lost or Twin Peaks and the characters are so developed and interesting.

The more I read, the more I think it might top my list of comics even ahead of Blankets, A Contract With God, Peanuts, and Zits.

linus

Post by linus » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:20 pm

it's definitely my favourite comic of all time, I came in around issue 16 when I was about 16 (my dad picked it up for me along with a couple of copies of lloyd llewellyn and neat stuff- they'd been an article by the legend! aka everett true in the NME that had whetted my appetite)- and that was 22 years ago- I've never really recommended it to anyone (nevermore than halfheartedly) because there's so much of it and I'm never convinced if you came in on a single issue it would mean much beyond the great art... but those compendiums should sort that out, if I can convince somebody that paying out for one of them is money well spent

I've grown up with l&r, it's made me rearrange/sharpen up attitudes to gender and race and, well I guess, life... plus because of 'Beto and Jaime it would have been a lot longer, I think, until I'd bent an ear to 'Damaged' by Black Flag, so I'm fucking grateful I heard it when I needed to hear it, in my teens

I can never decide who I prefer most out of 'Beto and Jaime but then why worry... they, and l&r, mean so much to me and, soppily enough, so do they characters who are more three dimensional than most people I meet on a daily basis

(I'll admit I cried when Tonatzin died engulfed in flames on a protest rally and 'snow' fell on Palomar... no, seriously I did, and I nearly did again when Speedy died)

I'd love to see 'Beto's cable show, he's some sort of horror host or something...

anyway, yeh, love and rockets is fucking great

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:37 pm

I will try some out. I keep buying graphic novels and not reading them.

(Because of busyness, not because I hate Graphic Novels and cant help buying them)
Toot toot.

alongwaltz

Re: Love & Rockets

Post by alongwaltz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:02 pm

I think you can get these new collections for $10 each or something from Amazon.

$60 for every single Love & Rockets story ever seems like a pretty good deal.

linus

Post by linus » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:57 pm

I've reread most of the 'Beto Palomar, Luba, Petra and Fritzi stories this last week... oh boy, apart from having my brain buffeted in a tempestuous ocean of behemouth breasts I'm also struck by 'Beto's unparalled ability with a few brushstrokes to take the reader to the absolute depths of sadistic depravity and the giddy heights of jawdropping breathtaking rudery

he's got sex and violence down like nobody else

that's not to say his comics are all filth and fury, 'Betos world is a folky soap opera overflowing with sweetness and funnies and heartbreak

but as well as the lusty, busty main protagonists and their charming offspring you have a salty funnybook fantasy where it's characters lives are constantly interupted by and at the mercy of killers, gangsters, fascists, misogynists, corrupt police, the church and more, and if it's not the threat from external forces it's the character's own individual flaws and weaknesses that might spell doom

25 plus years of Love & Rockets has provided the world with a fascinating, rich, explicit, scary, funny, warm and seductive comicbook mirror to the world we live in

Los Bros Hernandez rule my fucking world!

KingPanda

Post by KingPanda » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:56 pm

I've spent the last while reading the old-style collections in random order. They are great. I love Gilbert and think Jaime is basically rubbish (apart from the Rocket Roads stories or anything about wrestling).
PHEAR TEH PANDA

13strongmonsters

Post by 13strongmonsters » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:05 am

Why do you think Jaime is rubbish? And which stories are you basing that on?

KingPanda

Post by KingPanda » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:33 pm

My sample is the collections numbered 1, 8, 5, 6, 4, & 3 (that's the order I read them in). The Jaime art is good, but the Hopey-Maggie stories are pretty dull, like a bad TV soap opera with the bi-curious stuff adding a frisson of daringness to reel in the readers.

The wrestling stuff in House of Raging Women is very impressive though, and all the Rocket Roads stories.
PHEAR TEH PANDA

linus

Post by linus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:44 pm

KingPanda wrote:My sample is the collections numbered 1, 8, 5, 6, 4, & 3 (that's the order I read them in). The Jaime art is good, but the Hopey-Maggie stories are pretty dull, like a bad TV soap opera with the bi-curious stuff adding a frisson of daringness to reel in the readers.

The wrestling stuff in House of Raging Women is very impressive though, and all the Rocket Roads stories.
bi-curious? reel in the readers? a frisson of daringness?

*rolls eyes*

that seems to me such a fatuous assessment of what Jamie's done with the characters of Hopey, Maggie, Penny and all over nearly 28 years of producing comics

the soap opera elements are there for all to see, it's deliberate, Gilbert would say the same of his cast of characters

Jaime's stories are primarily about the complex relationship between Maggie and Hopey as friends and lovers, it's not some affected pose to draw in readers- that comment says more about your mindset than Jaime's

I'd recommed any number of Jaime stories to you but I know you from old and I'd be wasting my breath

KingPanda

Post by KingPanda » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:34 pm

I know you from old too.
PHEAR TEH PANDA

linus

Post by linus » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:51 pm

cosmic

L&R's now being published annually in book form... I'm very much looking forward to getting my greedy mitts on this

I'm a bit behind with my L&R at the minute

here's an enormous illustration by jaime

has anyone seen 'beto's cable show?

13strongmonsters

Post by 13strongmonsters » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:01 pm

Damn, that's making all my bits salivate. Cannae wait.

That portrait's from "The Education of Hopey Glass", I think. I took it into my life drawing class as one of the examples of artists I admire for their figure drawing. I wish I could do that kind of minimal line-drawing.

susanb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/susanb84

Post by susanb » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:08 am

I've ordered Music and Mechanics, two Locas books and two Palomar books (they're £6.99 on amazon UK, or less on amazon marketplace, and I had a gift voucher to use up). I hadn't realised that they had brought it out split into paperbacks until I saw this thread. I read some of a friends Love and Rockets collection years ago, but I never got round to getting my own copy. Until I read L&R I didn't think I would be able to get completely engrossed in a comic, but with L&R I really wanted to know what was going to happen to the characters next.
I wish I could make this train
go faster than anything

linus

Post by linus » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:22 pm

marc sobel is doing a rather splendid and thorough job of reviewing and putting into context (cultural, political and so on) each issue of love and rockets here:

http://shelflife-loveandrockets.blogspot.com/

he's over halfway through the first volume love and rockets so far (up to number 33... so, 1990)

highly recommended
seqL&R33_cover.jpg

alongwaltz

Post by alongwaltz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:17 pm

So they came out with 7 paperback collections of L&R, Vol. 1 before taking a break. Three of Palomar, three of Maggie & Hopey, and one of the miscellaneous stand-alones.

They're finally getting into Vol. 2 with the paperbacks this February as they've got a nice hot pink Penny Century collection coming.

volcanogod

Post by volcanogod » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:15 pm

alongwaltz wrote:So they came out with 7 paperback collections of L&R, Vol. 1 before taking a break. Three of Palomar, three of Maggie & Hopey, and one of the miscellaneous stand-alones.

They're finally getting into Vol. 2 with the paperbacks this February as they've got a nice hot pink Penny Century collection coming.
Penny Century is my all time favourite Love & Rockets series, i found myself reading and re-reading them over and over again.