Snoopy! (technically the Charles Schulz/Peanuts Thread)

I love a talking book, me
squirrelboutique

Snoopy! (technically the Charles Schulz/Peanuts Thread)

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:27

Eeep! I didn't know if this should go in books or cinema tv place. I'm putting it here since the comics came first.

Not many things make me smile more than the Peanuts. I am so ridiculously excited because tonight It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is on television. Yeah, I can watch it on YouTube or buy the DVD, but waiting for it to come on once a year is so much more fun.

And the Thanksgiving special with the popcorn and toast is so perfect and happy. Anyone so inclined can watch either special in its entirety on YouTube.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Re: Snoopy! (technically the Charles Schulz/Peanuts Thread)

Post by islandhopper » Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:57

I was lucky enough to acquire 25 or so of the paperback collections from my older cousin when I was younger, so I have many happy Peanuts memories even without the cultural and seasonal associations.
I'm not passing them on to future generations though. They're mine now!

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 08:54

Linus is one of my favourite characters in anything, ever.

i like the fact that Schultz was always trying out crazy little experiments in daily strips, and either exploring them as much as he could (like some of the really out-there musical notes imagery) or just abandoning them once he realised they didn't work. Plus he really paved the way for people like Bill Watterson, not to mention countless lesser imitators.
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Oct 29, 2008 16:05

squirrelboutique wrote:And the Thanksgiving special with the popcorn and toast is so perfect and happy.
Thank you for starting this thread, squibooty! I am a life-long admirer of Peanuts. My favorite lunch box of all time was my red Snoopy one and I cried when it broke. I also had the most awesome jumper in Kindergarten (that's an American jumper--a pinafore-type dress) with Snoopy on his dog house on the bib pocket. I wanted to wear it every day. It's hard to choose which special is the best. The Christmas one has so many perfect lines. I have all the DVDs, but the Thankgsgiving special is my favorite, I think. Last year I made popcorn, toast, and jelly beans and watched it with Ewan.

I used to get some shit after the Easter special would air because Marcie kept fucking up the eggs but other than that, Peanuts have given me nothing but absolute joy.

I have a lot of the Complete Peanuts volumes. They're so beautiful (Chip Kidd covers).

The one from my birth year is up next and on pre-order--weeee!

I read most of the Schulz biography because I had to own the hardcover (another Chip Kidd)--it's so adorable! The book is a bit long-winded and it was sanctioned by the family so not as juicy as it could have been. He had a lot of darkness, of course, and it's cool to see how he ticked. PBS's American Masters did a pretty candid episode on him and I recommend it if it comes up on repeat or for rental if you're a North American fan: Good Ol' Charles Schulz

I've just always loved how fucked up and anxiety ridden Charlie Brown is and how Peanuts never treated kids as cutsie little brainless things.

Carys
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Carys » Wed Oct 29, 2008 16:20

alongwalkhome wrote:
squirrelboutique wrote:
I have a lot of the Complete Peanuts volumes. They're so beautiful (Chip Kidd covers).

I've been getting one of those volumes for every birthday and Christmas since me and R got together. Aren't they lovely?

I do like how darkly, gloomily wonderful they are. I don't think the cartoons air so much in the UK as they seem to in the US - I always got the impression they were more upbeat somehow?

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Wed Oct 29, 2008 17:40

My books look a little something like this.

I'll have to pull them out at Christmas and see how old they actually are. I remember one of them being some sort of Peanuts babies spinoff, with all the kids even younger than they usually are. The only story I can remember from that is one about Lucy constantly climbing out of her cot.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Thu Oct 30, 2008 14:43

I have a bunch of those paperbacks! That's some classic 70s/80s bookmaking right there. Aw, this thread makes me so happy.
Virginia Plain wrote:I do like how darkly, gloomily wonderful they are. I don't think the cartoons air so much in the UK as they seem to in the US - I always got the impression they were more upbeat somehow?
Holiday specials are a pervasive American institution. There's literally a Christmas one for every night of December and then some. Most of them stink. The earliest Peanuts specials--particularly the Christmas one--are remarkably in sync w/Schulz's vision (he definitely wrote the Christmas script); and when you put them in the context of the times--mid 60s--they're way ahead of their time. It is absolutely full of cynical one-line nuggets. I never fail, for instance--when I've said something that brings a conversation to a screeching hault--to replay the line in my head where Charlie Brown is trying to liven up his pathetic little tree with baubles and it collapses and all it's needles fall off: "I've killed it..."

The xmas special also has the first animation of Charlie Brown in psychiatric consultation w/Lucy (for 5 cents; amazing) and, hands down, the greatest soundtrack of all time by the wonderful Latin-jazz pianist Vince Guaraldi. Perfection.

I have this wonderful book about the making of the xmas special and I look forward to seeing it when I haul out the xmas decorations every year. Schulz and the producer were very insistant that "regular-sounding" kids be used to voice it.

The special is absolutely Christian, but the message is ultimately about "goodwill" and it never fails to move even a cold-hearted atheist like me.

alex_cornetto
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/wizzy_w

Post by alex_cornetto » Thu Oct 30, 2008 17:25

Having just watched It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown - a film which makes this whole Halloween malarkey almost worthwhile - I've decided I want to go to a party tomorrow dressed like this:

There is absolutely nothing better in the world than Peanuts.

"What a fool I was! Tricks or treats come only once a year, and I miss it by sitting in a pumpkin patch with a blockhead! YOU OWE ME RESTITUTION!"

Carys

Post by Carys » Thu Oct 30, 2008 20:29

alongwalkhome wrote:Holiday specials are a pervasive American institution. There's literally a Christmas one for every night of December and then some. Most of them stink. The earliest Peanuts specials--particularly the Christmas one--are remarkably in sync w/Schulz's vision (he definitely wrote the Christmas script); and when you put them in the context of the times--mid 60s--they're way ahead of their time. It is absolutely full of cynical one-line nuggets.
We just don't get them over here. In fact, I had a quick look for It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and it's nowhere to be seen.

Ah well. I guess I'll stick with The Shining, then.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Thu Oct 30, 2008 20:42

Sarah and I watched "Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown - And Don't Come Back!" last weekend. I've spent the past 20 years saying "un loaf de bread" as a result of the previous time I watched it. It's still very good.

mae

Post by mae » Thu Oct 30, 2008 22:13

we've always had the christmas special on video because my mum loves snoopy, so i watch it every year. now i've downloaded it so i don't miss out. alec bought me the soundtrack on vinyl last year too.

i don't think i've ever seen the other specials though. maybe i should watch the great pumpkin tonight (it's halloween already here)

Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Post by Damian » Fri Oct 31, 2008 15:24

I have a peanuts type question.

When I was much smaller, I had a Charlie Brown book and read aloud audio tape. I don't remember much about it, though it was packed with songs.

The only song I vaguely remember was about wanting to eat. Perhaps because of fear. Perhaps it was a camping story. I don't know, I just remember the last lyric of the song was

"Or a Triple Decker Sundae! Hey I'm hungry!!"

Does anyone know what this is? I would love to get another copy of it. Mine has long since disappeared.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Jan 28, 2009 19:25

I just got an e-mail from the snoopy store. I confess to having bought a shameful amount of merchandise from there over the years. I loathe valentine's day and the peanuts' love/hate relationship with the holiday (mostly of the unrequited-love variety) always made me feel better as a kid.

One of my fave one-panels is up there now: